Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcitement View Post
    His point is they don't have to rub it in your face every time you buy something.
    Actually it was that they've gone so far as to punish people for not subscribing within the game itself. It's not a "discount for subscribers" because the price hasn't changed for subscribers from before f2p - it's quite clearly an in-game mechanical penalty for non-subbers for being non-subbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDee View Post
    Treat it as a discount for subscribers.
    Yeah, that's like the store increasing the price on all goods by 20% and then starting a payed membership that gives you 20% discount on everything. It has "dick move" written all over it.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

I think it is save to conclude that their is not much incentive to stick with your character past lvl 50...at best people will probably level up another character.

My suggestions for Bioware.

First adjust the restriction on the purple gear, don't allow people to use the best or second best gear but at least allow them to use the first tier.
    Second: give access to the entry lvl Operations, the only restriction should be on the 2 most recent tiers (and if Bioware doesn't follow the tier system of WoW then they should start doing that as well)
    Finally: adjust certain other restriction to allow people to perform at a acceptable level in both pve and pvp (not best but at least middle pack)

Bioware is still making the same mistake, they are focussing to much on the 1-49 part of the game and not enough on the lvl 50+. What are the chances of a current non paying player to switch over to a sub account? My guess is low since he/she doesn't really experience anything pas lvl 50.

Deleted
    Bioware thought it was a good idea to let subscribers have lower vendor prices than free players, presumably to make subscribers feel like they're getting a good deal. They could have gone about it two ways: either they give subscribers a 25% discount, or they charge free players with a 25% tax. The net effect is the same in both cases, except the game is already balanced around the prices subscribers were paying before F2P. Rather than risk disrupting game balance and damaging the in-game economy by lowering prices for subscribers, they decided to increase prices for F2P players.

Sorry if that offends you.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rather than risk disrupting game balance and damaging the in-game economy by lowering prices for subscribers, they decided to increase prices for F2P players.

The Cartel Market would like a word with you. That word is that your logic is flawed.

#1 answer to all things EA has their fingers in is.....
    *drum roll*
    Its EA, what do you expect?

The restrictions are ridiculous.

I tried to give this game a second chance because my friends decided to try it (they havn't bought anything but the 10.99 disk and never plan on buying anything else so no big win for bioware there).

Even with preferred status The restrictions are unbelievable.

You will be able to do quests but that's pretty much all. Because of the insane restrictions like inventory not able to be expanded and direct experience lowering even questing is hindered. Even ridiculous things like hiding a helmet and displaying a title arn't allowed.

You get a choice of the 2 most boring/uninteresting races and 1 more. You get just enough character slots to get a republic and a sith character (for now). You get a credit cap but good luck reaching it when you cant get 3 crew skills, things cost more and quests deny the choice of credit box rewards.

It's really pathetic the amount of things they restricted, They made it free but it's hardly a game if you decide to go that option.

I figured F2P would be crap but I didn't realize it would be as terrible as it is.

Bioware thought it was a good idea to let subscribers have lower vendor prices than free players, presumably to make subscribers feel like they're getting a good deal. They could have gone about it two ways: either they give subscribers a 25% discount, or they charge free players with a 25% tax. The net effect is the same in both cases, except the game is already balanced around the prices subscribers were paying before F2P. Rather than risk disrupting game balance and damaging the in-game economy by lowering prices for subscribers, they decided to increase prices for F2P players.

Fair enough, let's assume that EA had the best of the game at heart and wanted to avoid disrupting the ingame economy. Would it have disrupted the economy if they silently raised prices for non-subscribers ? Did it help the economy that they rub it into the non-subscribers with each purchase that they are second class citizens ?

You should realize that Bioware/EA needs those new players way more than they need them. It's SWTOR that is struggling to get more subscribers/revenue, while the potential customers have quite a few MMOs to choose from. So what's the gain of alienating potential customers ? I at least see none. Which makes me believe it was a stupid move on their part to implement this tax in such a way. Ideally you want to make F2P players feel welcome so that they stay, you want to entice them to spend money. Instead they are hit on the head at every turn with obnoxious reminders of their non-premium state. I have my doubts that it is a good idea, but oh well ...

If the game is so precariously balanced that lowering vendor prices for subscribers would wreak the in-game economy (which it wouldn't do at all, but let's run with this), how is it not game-breaking to raise the price for non-subscribers?

It has nothing to do with giving subscribers a good deal, and everything to do with maltreating non-subscribers into subscribing - which is a terrible business model.

To sum up my issues:

There are too many unlocks. First impression is everything you do is restricted.
    The b2p route is not complete. Week long passes for space missions and warzones . No b2p unlocks for operations etc.
    The questing/VO features can be better. I really don't want to read multitude of replies when the conversation is just polite chitchat. I feel that for both TOR and DA3 BW should offer a mixed mode where you pick just the important answers and rest is auto reply.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Such an adventure reading this all

I have no goddamn idea why the base space missions are on a limit, while the fancy space PvP is not. Not a one.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Nothing makes sense in this piece of shit game. Honestly why do I bother? Every time I think i should try it once again and see if they improved the state of things it gets worse...

So the game still isn't worth playing unless you're paying a monthly sub fee?
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    So the game still isn't worth playing unless you're paying a monthly sub fee?
    Not really. You can do quite a lot in the game without a sub fee and preferred status. The latter only costing $5 or something as a one time purchase at most.

The restrictions of F2P mostly effect the desire to raid at endgame. Which can be an annoyance to some degree, but overall the burden is fairly low unless one was consistently clearing every raid in the game weekly. Which is not only unproductive but unnecessary given the dynamics of SWTOR's raids.

There are some maximum credit issues too. But this is also fairly minor in the long term considering that one can purchase almost every unlock in the game for in-game credits. Paying a sub gets some of those out concerns out the way. As in you don't even have to think of them at all.

Can you play this game freely and fully despite some of the minor burdens? Yes, especially since most "burdens" are relived by the auction house easily.

Now is this F2P model as forgiving as Rift or Tera? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not really. You can do quite a lot in the game without a sub fee and preferred status. The latter only costing $5 or something as a one time purchase at most.

The restrictions of F2P mostly effect the desire to raid at endgame. Which can be an annoyance to some degree, but overall the burden is fairly low unless one was consistently clearing every raid in the game weekly. Which is not only unproductive but unnecessary given the dynamics of SWTOR's raids.

There are some maximum credit issues too. But this is also fairly minor in the long term considering that one can purchase almost every unlock in the game for in-game credits. Paying a sub gets some of those out concerns out the way. As in you don't even have to think of them at all.

Can you play this game freely and fully despite some of the minor burdens? Yes, especially since most "burdens" are relived by the auction house easily.

Now is this F2P model as forgiving as Rift or Tera? No.
    All I'm really interested in is the story lines and Lightsabering things once in a while when I'm not doing anything on WoW.

All I'm really interested in is the story lines and Lightsabering things once in a while when I'm not doing anything on WoW.
    Then the game excels in that regard for a free player.

Oddly, SWTOR gives away it's most defining and arguably most enjoyable content without restriction; story, planet quests, heroics. It's the other parts of the game; warzones, raids, dailies that have the heaviest restrictions. Which are the worst and most generic parts of SWTOR.

It's a weird F2P model. But if you want to enjoy the stories, solo and small group content the game is accessible without a sub fee.

Oddly, SWTOR gives away it's most defining and arguably most enjoyable content without restriction; story, planet quests, heroics. It's the other parts of the game; warzones, raids, dailies that have the heaviest restrictions. Which are the worst and most generic parts of SWTOR.

It's a weird F2P model. But if you want to enjoy the stories, solo and small group content the game is accessible without a sub fee.
    Kool. Which class for the Sith is one that dual wields or has a double bladed light saber and kills stuff?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kool. Which class for the Sith is one that dual wields or has a double bladed light saber and kills stuff?
    Inquisitor: double bladed Warrior: DW
    BAD WOLF

I actually kind of like the warzones but otherwise I agree with your post here.