Deleted

Want to do my first dungeon, need some help.

Ever since the beta first opened I've been playing Guild Wars till roughly the game's release. It had some flaws I couldn't look past and realizing those flaws weren't fixed or changed when the game went live made me lose interest almost immediately. However I booted up the game about a week ago and it seems like a lot of things have changed for the better and I'm actually really enjoying the game now. I have plans to actually continue playing for quite a long time.

Now here is the issue, I want to try and do the Ascalonian Catacombs but I have no idea how exactly dungeons work in this game. I noticed there was an automatic group finder you could queue for which is just fantastic. But... I don't want to be that guy. You know, that guy who drags a group down, doesn't realize how everything works, or sets off things you're not meant to set off. What is expected of me when I join a group for this particular dungeon, and what do I need to prepare in advance before joining? Is there a detailed guide somewhere where I can read up on the dungeon itself?

If it's important, I play a Thief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

I advise you to just look for a dungeon guild and get used to it that way. The key to dungeons is stacking and fighting in melee (if you want to be fast about it anyway), so what you do is look for corners where you can make mobs gather up. If you see your team all standing together, go stand where they are. Once the enemies are in position (ontop of you) make it a point to only dodge into the wall (meaning forward) so enemies don't run out of the spot and scatter.

The second important thing is to use all weapons in your arsenal. A d/d thief is very strong vs bosses but sucks vs trash so swap to either sword/x or shortbow to AoE mobs down. Most parts where you skip foes can be made a lot easier if you have stealth (shadow refuge is great) but get some more experience before you start using this so it doesn't go to waste.

Another thing is that you don't have to dodge every time a red circle appears on your feet, sometimes you can use steal to teleport to the enemy and avoid it that way or you can just walk out of it. Thieves don't have a lot of tricks like this though, so once you get an alt remember to try and use dodge as little as possible (unless it's a war because they get a dmg bonus from not having full endurance, but that's not important now).

There are written and video guides out there but every pug does things differently so the most important part is to watch what your group is doing and copy them.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    I've been refreshing that website for hours now, but it doesn't seem to work at the moment Karizee. But I'll keep trying.

Thank you so much for all your help Meledelion. Small question though, currently I've played with almost only dual pistols and a shortbow for single target and AoE/cleave respectively simply because I find it hard to stay alive with melee weapons. And that already includes dodging often and using abilities like Black Powder for the blind. I probably need to get better at actually avoiding damage out in the open world, but mobs in dungeons* seem to deal a significant amount more damage. Are Thieves actually expected to be standing in one spot and taking damage? I guess grouping up with classes like Guardians will help mitigate a ton due to the healing and protection they provide, but it seems like there is close to no room for error as a Thief.

Ever since I read your post I've been playing with a sword/pistol and dagger/dagger combo but it definitely seems a lot harder because I'm not able to kite mobs around or keep them slowed in my traps and such.

*Just to clarify the ''dungeon'' part, I tried entering the Ascalonian Catacombs on my own under a story mode. I assumed that allowed me to see the dungeon on my own without a group and fight mobs with scaled down damage and health. Seems like I was wrong considering the amount of time it took to take out 1 mob at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's weird, I just tried the link and it works fine.....
    Valar morghulis

Enemies don't scale with group size in dungeons.

You don't really want to take hits as a thief, the thing is that being in group changes up the dynamics a lot. I also talk mostly in regards to bosses, since trash melts when there's 5people DPSing.
    If you're going to solo you can use tricks like s/p 5 to blind the mob and just attack it, s/p 3 to stun and evade while hitting and so on. Normally if you only use 5+1 you should be able to keep up 5 and blinds on the mob. If you're using Signet of Malice, your auto attacks should keep your health up, if you do struggle you can use s/p 5 to help heal. You do not want to activate your signet to heal yourself!

Some very general advice would be: use s/p on trash and d/d on bosses.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

1. Equip berserker gear (or gear that is as close to it as possible at lower levels).
    2. Stack with party in corner of room.
    3. Stack might.
    4. Burn boss down.
    5. Profit.

Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    I've been refreshing that website for hours now, but it doesn't seem to work at the moment Karizee. But I'll keep trying.
    --
    Still not working?

Some older routers may block IP addresses starting with 192 which may cause your issue.

Deleted
    What server are you on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    1. Equip berserker gear (or gear that is as close to it as possible at lower levels).
    2. Stack with party in corner of room.
    3. Stack might.
    4. Burn boss down.
    5. Profit.

Any questions?
    This, just follow what other people do. AC is faceroll as it gets, stack up and cleave with sword/pistol in zerker gear. Win free goldz.

When I say follow what other people do, I really mean follow. You will be left behind if you slack off, then most likely kicked or ignored while they finish it themselves.

Deleted
    Sorry for not responding in a few days, I've literally been playing Guild Wars every minute my computer was turned on apart from one small post on MMOchampion this morning. I decided to check out the queue today and found a group full of new and inexperienced people so I decided to join them and learn the process together with other people who are in the same boat. It really didn't go as well as I wanted, I died at least once on every boss besides (ironically) the last one and a few times on trash just because of bleeds and poisons which I wasn't able to cure. Halfway into the dungeon I switched out my daggers for pistols because staying in melee was just one big disaster. It felt like a lot of stuff was unavoidable or had such a small delay before going off that it just wasn't possible to dodge. I'm sure I'm wrong on this one, but one hit from just about any random AoE despite almost spamming my dodges and evasion abilities would just kill me.

Granted I got mostly berserker gear and damage traits, but I'm starting to wonder why I didn't roll a proper ranged class or a heavy armor melee class.

Quote Originally Posted by Wethospu View Post
    Still not working?

Some older routers may block IP addresses starting with 192 which may cause your issue.
    That looks to be the issue. It's weird though, I've never seen this before on any website.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev1011 View Post
    What server are you on?
    Gunnar's Hold.

Does for example Techweb.com work for you (another site starting with 192)?

Do you need help with setting up your router properly?

It depends a lot on what kind of group will you get. Even as completely new player to dungeon, you might get a group that will nicely lead you through it, or you will get a group of kids that will kick you as soon as you say "Its my first ti.."