Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Taxes for selling tacos? The FDA inspects your food products to make sure it isn't infected or bad so that you don't make your clients sick and get sued.

Are taxes really so hard for some people to understand?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    I get asked this all the time and if you think about it they're common. Why do I need a taxy license to charge someone for a ride in my car? Why do I need a license to sell someone some tacos I made? The list goes on and on and there just that simple. If the epa sees an "endangered" species on my land I can't build anything on it like a business or apartments w/e.
    You just listed three examples of good regulations.

Taxi License: If you're going to be a taxi driver, you need a license because you must prove that you can drive other people safely, that you aren't a known dangerous person (who the hell wants a murderer fresh out of jail driving them around?), that you can actually communicate with the people your driving (I don't want to end up on the other side of town because I don't speak Spanish), etc.

Tacos: Jesus, this one is so obvious it's painful. Food safety. Getting a food license usually involves demonstrating that you know how to safely prepare food. People shouldn't have to worry that the food they're buying doesn't meet basic safety and sanitation standards.

Endangered Species: First, I think it's funny that you would single out this one regulation as a barrier to building stuff when you've got an enormous mountain of construction regulations to deal with. But to answer your point, I think the preamble to the Endangered Species Act sums it up perfectly: "these species of fish, wildlife, and plants are of esthetic, ecological, educational, historical, recreational, and scientific value to the Nation and its people;" You may not find this explanation wholly satisfactory I'll admit.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-02-02 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    It's still going to incorporate excessive amounts of wear and tear on city infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.) into the cost. $20 or $100 or whatever it costs to get and maintain a taxi license is nothing compared to the cost of building and repairing infrastructure. It's why taxes work. it's all paid into a pool.

His taxi would not be able to operate without the public infrastructure over which he does business. The usual rhetoric for Obamacare is that it's not "free" healthcare since it costs money in taxes. The same goes for anything that's taxed by local or federal government. The use of that road technically isn't free. You pay to use those roads when you buy a car (there are highway taxes when you buy) and also a gas tax.
    If I have to give detailed regulations then you can't use the rhetoric " taxes pay for roads". The gasoline tax yes but not the income tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    That is pretty awesome, but I think the problem still remains: even if everyone worked to get a better job, there are not enough better jobs and someone still has to do the bad ones.
    Simple economics of supply and demand if you need people to work for you and there aren't many people looking for that kind of work, you will have to pay them more to get them to work for you. Hence why garbagemen make what they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds nice in theory and again we're dealing with reality but a lot of regulations are in place to simply keep out competition. And it's these regulations that simply, whether intentional or not, kill small business and the little guy.
    Actually small business and the little guy kill (mom and pop shops) themselves, they employ friends and family and don't offer others job thus making it so others can't afford the astoundingly high prices they charge for the same product as big business.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

You just listed three examples of good regulations.

Taxi License: If you're going to be a taxi driver, you need a license because you must prove that you can drive other people safely, that you aren't a known dangerous person (who the hell wants a murderer fresh out of jail driving them around?), that you can actually communicate with the people your driving (I don't want to end up on the other side of town because I don't speak Spanish), etc.

Tacos: Jesus, this one is so obvious it's painful. Food safety. Getting a food license usually involves demonstrating that you know how to safely prepare food. People shouldn't have to worry that the food they're buying doesn't meet basic safety and sanitation standards.

Endangered Species: First, I think it's funny that you would single out this one regulation as a barrier to building stuff when you've got a enormous mountain of construction regulations to deal with. But to answer your point, I think the preamble to the Endangered Species Act sums it up perfectly: "these species of fish, wildlife, and plants are of esthetic, ecological, educational, historical, recreational, and scientific value to the Nation and its people;" You may not find this explanation wholly satisfactory I'll admit.
    If those are good regulations... then simply put we're fucked. No wonder jobs go overseas. No wonder we consume more than we produce.

If those are good regulations... then simply put we're fucked. No wonder jobs go overseas. No wonder we consume more than we produce.
    I'm honestly saddened that you couldn't even produce a reply with substance. I'll drop species and taxis, but come on man, are you really going to deny that food safety is important?

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Simple economics of supply and demand if you need people to work for you and there aren't many people looking for that kind of work, you will have to pay them more to get them to work for you. Hence why garbagemen make what they do.
    I'm not seeing the relevance to what I wrote.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-02-02 at 07:45 AM.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Your 2010 Hyundai Elantra may have mechanical defects. The taxi licensing process includes a full vehicle inspection for faults and defects, as well as safeguards in effect for both the consumer and the service provider.

The DHS is an entirely separate issue from any of the ones you brought up before. It's a redundant agency that I find retarded, but, again, entirely unrelated to anything we were discussing previously.

Your last sentence is a complete non sequitur. The only way the people have a chance at challenging big corporations are through collective bargaining and government intercession.
    So competition in know way has an effect on big business? That's another zero evidence claim?

Name one way in which maintaining a minimum standard of goods and services realistically is a negative thing.

Keep in mind, much of the crap we end up getting by shipping manufacturing overseas to China has been proven to contain hazardous materials, so we're paying a cost for that cheap service in the form of our health.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

I'm honestly saddened that you couldn't even produce a reply with substance. I'll drop species and taxis, but come on man, are you really going to deny that food safety is important?
    Who said anything about food safety? A license doesn't equal food safety.

So competition in know way has an effect on big business? That's another zero evidence claim?
    If you think big business realistically views any small startup as a serious threat, and has at all since the inception of the idea of business, you've got another thing coming.

The rare small startup can come in and cleanup, but without government regulation, 99% of the time you'd end up with a Carnegie Steel type situation where a well established large business strangles any potential competitor.

- - - Updated - - -

That license you obtain is specifically tied to your ability to prove you store, prepare, and serve the food in a safe manner

Why the hell do you think they mandate you get one? For the fun of it? To specifically answer your question about who said anything about it, I did. Did you only read the first sentence of my post and respond just to that?

But yes, you're point is true yet trivial. Having a license won't guarantee that Bob isn't going to put cyanide in his burritos and kill people. But I do not see any conceivable scenario where letting anyone sell food as they wish is safer than requiring them all to take classes and demonstrate their ability to safely prepare food.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-02-02 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    As idealized as you think society should be,
    I never said that.

I said society is built on certain ideals, things we should strive toward.

You can't honestly tell me you can't differentiate between the two.

capitalism still follows the rule of survival of the fittest.
    No I think you're thinking about life in the jungle here. You are still thinking like the caveman. Capitalism in civilized society is about prosperity of the fittest. However if you do believe people who get the short end of the stick should just keel over and die slowly you are welcome to move out of the first world country that lays claim to civilized society and thus civilized capitalism and move to a third world country.
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

Why the hell do you think they mandate you get one? For the fun of it? To specifically answer your question about who said anything about it, I did. Did you only read the first sentence of my post and respond just to that?

But yes, you're point is true yet trivial. Having a license won't guarantee that Bob isn't going to put cyanide in his burritos and kill people. But I do not see any conceivable scenario where letting anyone sell food as they wish is safer than requiring them all to take classes and demonstrate their ability to safely prepare food.
    What if they have no skills but they can cook. And let's say due to high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job they can't get one but wanna work. Why can't they just go sell tacos on the corner of the street?

What if they have no skills but they can cook. And let's say due to high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job they can't get one but wanna work. Why can't they just go sell tacos on the corner of the street?
    You can't "have no skills" and be able to cook. Cooking is a skill.

They can go sell tacos on the corner of the street, if they want to apply for a street vendor's license. They still have to demonstrate that the food meets minimum health standards, though, to get that license, because the government has a vested interest in making sure the population doesn't get poisoned by shoddy cooking practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I never said that.

I said society is built on certain ideals, things we should strive toward.

You can't honestly tell me you can't differentiate between the two.

No I think you're thinking about life in the jungle here. You are still thinking like the caveman. Capitalism in civilized society is about prosperity of the fittest. However if you do believe people who get the short end of the stick should just keel over and die slowly you are welcome to move out of the first world country that lays claim to civilized society and thus civilized capitalism and move to a third world country.
    I apologize, I should have specified "prosperity" of the fittest. I figured given we are not speaking of a third world country, and people are not dying of starvation in the streets, that the reference to the coined phrase survival of the fittest would be seen as entirely metaphorical but, this is the internet. I still find that your beliefs are entirely idealistic without any basis or reference to actual economics.

In the end, the more people there are available to fill a position, the less each individual's service is worth. This is not some cold-hearted opinion of the world you seem to think I have of people, this is merely a basic law of economics. Does it suck? Yes. That doesn't change the fact that it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    You can't "have no skills" and be able to cook. Cooking is a skill.

They can go sell tacos on the corner of the street, if they want to apply for a street vendor's license. They still have to demonstrate that the food meets minimum health standards, though, to get that license, because the government has a vested interest in making sure the population doesn't get poisoned by shoddy cooking practices.

That's why we have welfare and unemployment benefits and such. If a surfer dude can take advantage of welfare to eat lobsters and sushi and shit, I seriously doubt that Mr. Cook can't just use some welfare money to get his license.

Also, high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job? Are you telling me that there's someone who can cook but can't make a Mcburger?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't cook.

Every action you take is a skill. I know people who can barely cook ramen. Cooking is a skill.

That's why we have welfare and unemployment benefits and such. If a surfer dude can take advantage of welfare to eat lobsters and sushi and shit, I seriously doubt that Mr. Cook can't just use some welfare money to get his license.

Also, high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job? Are you telling me that there's someone who can cook but can't make a Mcburger?
    What kind of fucking logic is that. Why even go to that point. Let them eat tacos! Well you can't make a mcburger when mcdonalds requires a fuckin mcbachelors. Or 3 years experience or a clean driving record.