Understanding Insane Calculation: Fiery Edge

My guild recently started working on Heroic Paragons and I'm trying to understand Fiery Edge damage. I'm aware of how the lines connect with one another, but on our only pull that had Lucid up for a prolonged period of time I was repeatedly getting 2 stacks of the debuff, which seemed to be unhealable (link provided below). During each connection, I had 4 lines connected to me in similar V shapes, one being slightly narrower than the other and had 2 stacks of the debuff, Fiery Edge.

After I died, our disc priest managed to solo heal all of Xaril and half of Kaz'tik before wiping, so I'm certain that it isn't the healing output that was to blame, but rather something that I did incorrectly.

http://imgur.com/7mxpH2b

Kaisis is a tank and Seiius is a Windwalker monk (melee dps). I (Isiildur) am a Holy paladin.

I'm pretty sure 99% of all guilds who beat heroic paragons have no @!#in idea how targets during fiery edge are made.

The damage is very minimal for the most part unless people are too near each other, just put a pws on anyone with the debuff plus cascade every fiery edge and most likely they won't even drop below 80%. Your DBM should tell you who's getting targetted so you have about 5 seconds in advance anyway.

THe closer you are to the peopel you're connected with, the more damage it does. Also don't stand in the lines of other people
    We rotation raid cd's there

It looks like you were standing on extra lines. The lines are completely random to who gets targeted. You get a number, symbol, and a color, he picks one of these 3 things and everyone who shares it with that person gets a line.

For example
    Player A has 1 blue axe
    Player B has 1 green box
    Player C has 3 yellow snail
    Player D has 6 yellow axe

Boss picks blue, player A is the main target, so 1, blue, and axe are chose, the chain is from player A, B, and D. B shares 1, D shares axe. Player C doesn't get anything because 3, yellow, and snail, doesn't share 1, blue, or axe.

Use cooldowns. Having 3-4 lines connected to one person isn't too uncommon. Everyone with a line has at least 2.

All of the ticks on you are for 35-40k, which is high. You were too close to the other people. It looks like you were also standing in a line connected to someone else because you were taking 2 ticks from the same person for different amounts, which would be impossible if the only damage you took was from lines connected directly to you.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    It looks like you were also standing in a line connected to someone else because you were taking 2 ticks from the same person for different amounts, which would be impossible if the only damage you took was from lines connected directly to you.
    Check the name again, it's the damage he does to himself. It's always like that, you get hit by two other people once (plus more if you stand in some lines) and hit yourself twice each second. The last part is the most painful since you can't reduce it by moving away - obviously. And 40k is hardly "high", seems like pretty decent amount. 'Course this includes Disc getting 30% reduction.

Personally, I just use glyphed Binding Heal for that part if I get an Edge. It eats through mana but works pretty well to keep yourself and two other people alive. Between this, mending and shields, it takes some additional damage to be really endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Check the name again, it's the damage he does to himself. It's always like that, you get hit by two other people once (plus more if you stand in some lines) and hit yourself twice each second. The last part is the most painful since you can't reduce it by moving away - obviously. And 40k is hardly "high", seems like pretty decent amount. 'Course this includes Disc getting 30% reduction.

Personally, I just use glyphed Binding Heal for that part if I get an Edge. It eats through mana but works pretty well to keep yourself and two other people alive. Between this, mending and shields, it takes some additional damage to be really endangered.
    Ah, right. I forgot you do the same damage to yourself and didn't look at the person taking the damage. So, he wasn't standing in a line.

40k is definitely high though. According to our logs last week, the average hit in our group was ~30k. Every single hit on him was well above our average.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2014-02-04 at 11:58 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, right. I forgot you do the same damage to yourself and didn't look at the person taking the damage. So, he wasn't standing in a line.

40k is definitely high though. According to our logs last week, the average hit in our group was ~30k. Every single hit on him was well above our average.
    The basic damage to yourself is 100k a hit I think? Even post nerf. Two hits per second is a ton, so lowering that to 30-40k is huge. I don't think 10 man hits for less.

What do you mean by basic damage? When you stand right next to each other without CDs? I've never seen it hit that hard, even when I get linked to another melee and decide to stay in.

What do you mean by basic damage? When you stand right next to each other without CDs? I've never seen it hit that hard, even when I get linked to another melee and decide to stay in.
    That seems pretty accurate though, I remember the debuff hitting as hard as 70-75k when two melee got linked and in our raid we always had at least one reduction CD rolling.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You always hit yourself for max damage I believe. Without any reduction, this could be as high as 100k x 2, which *hurts*.