Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I think the way I put my post is making this go somewhat off topic but if people post something as serious as this, like a sex change or whatever, they are most definitely looking for some kind of approval, no? Pretty sure no one posts this things about them for 'giggles'n'shit'.

As for your question. Yes, it's important to some people, but what I'm criticizing here is the fact that there are buttloads of options talking about your sex organs, which are not needed if there are already options like trans/MtF/FtM.

Either way, I think this is being blown out of proportion since these new updates probably don't even go into people's feed page, even if it did, I don't see why it would matter. What I'm criticizing is the fact that there's buttload of options that mean almost the same thing. It feels like it's just there to confuse people, I honestly don't get the point of having options that mean the same thing.

I also edited the post you quoted to be a bit more clear.
    Acceptance more then approval.
    I get what you are saying.
    *shrug* I find it funny. Maybe tomorrow I will feel like identifying as "Monkey" just to be funny, or look up wtf all that is.
    ( I still have a hard time with intersexed myself, so this is a nice challenge)
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Ridiculous, you are either male, female or something inbetween, it is ridiculous to claim there are 50 options.
    I agree, and wtf is trans human?

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Can you please cite conclusive evidence proving this? Thanks.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7477289

One of many. The brain develops opposite of genetic code.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Also, regardless of whether my brain is "defective", I would refuse a "cure", I will not change my brain, for I honestly would feel like I would be killing who I am.
    As is your medical prerogative. But I don't have to accept hallucinations either.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is really weird.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

honestly they shoulda just went male, female, other... and other would have a box where you could type whatever you want in it... then unlimited options for everyone, cause i bet somewhere out there is someone that doesn't fit into these 50....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I agree, and wtf is trans human?
    Transhumanism is actually something else entirely and is related to my other post in this thread :P

Transhumanism is "the belief or theory that the human race can evolve beyond its current physical and mental limitations, especially by means of science and technology"

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You don't get the difference between psychology and psychiatry. I get that.
    Clearly you have no idea the lengths went threw to prove homosexuality as a brain defect, before the lobotomy fad used to cure it, and the continuing neurological studies because a gay male brain, is different then a heterosexual one, literally different.
    SO yea, I get the concept, and again, I point out, it being gay has had the same kind of shit used to study it.

Edit On a side note we got like 2 feet of snow, now there is a thunder storm.. WTF
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-02-14 at 01:01 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    What of people with split personalities, if they don't all identify the same, do they get multiple options? Then again maybe they each have a FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    I get the concept
    So explain to me the difference between psychiatry and psychology, since you "get it".

Gender is a fluid concept, whereas sex is biological. It only makes sense for them to add more variety for those who identify in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    What of people with split personalities, if they don't all identify the same, do they get multiple options? Then again maybe they each have a FB page.
    Wouldn't they just have multiple facebook accounts?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonon View Post
    Can you explain what Trans* is please? Because I only get this kind of answer:

Does that mean you're everything listed above? Or do you just not want to mention what kind of trans you are?
    Honestly, I use that term because I can't be bothered to figure out what all the other ones mean. Some people get really passionate about calling themselves transsexual, others prefer the term transgender, the resulting arguments are really not worth the effort IMO, so I just stick with a nice easy term no-one has to worry about.

The thing is, while there is some identifiable truth about the biology of trans identities, how we define them is still really up in the air. Take for example the case of a person who was born with mostly male anatomy, but with parts of their brain following the female norm, who considers themselves a woman. Is this person a male with a defective brain? Is this person a female with a defective body? Is being different from the typical male/female archetype a defect at all? Is it a psychological condition, a genetic condition, a physiological condition, a neurological condition, a social condition? We all have opinions, and there's some really inconclusive research to back some of them up, but at the end of the day no-one really truly knows. However, because gender is so central to who we are as people, because people who are atypical often have to verbally defend their situation against others, and because how one perceives one's own condition is particularly important for one's own sense of moral well-being, there's lots of debate on the topic. (I don't particularly like the thought that I am a defective person, and the haters have enough fuel already as it is without giving in on that one.)

Also consider the question of what is a person. If you took a body and put a different brain in it, would it still be the same person? If you took a brain and gave it a different body, would THAT still be the same person? I personally prefer the latter case to the former, and so I have no problem considering brain sex to trump chromosomal or anatomical sex, but I'm not sure science is ever going to be able to answer that question in a way that is satisfying to everyone - that's the realm of philosophy, and since people ascribe to many different philosophies, that's why we have so many different terms for gender.
    Last edited by gonterf; 2014-02-14 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This is really weird.
    Not remotely weird. Facebook is just allowing its product to label themselves more accurately, so it can charge potential purchasers more.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Yeah, go faceboo- 50?

I mean, sure i'm glad for them and all, but 50?

I'm struggling to find 6 as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    So explain to me the difference between psychiatry and psychology, since you "get it".
    Bait better.
    Gay people where subject to the same medical theory, for close to the same reason as what you are saying people not like you, who have gender Identity issues are.
    You want to say it's a neurological abnormality or whatever. OK well, they say that about gay people too. Well being gay is not thought of in those same constraints anymore, so after such a swing and a miss, why flock to the same thing with some other group? (*I mean other then confirming your own bias)

Huh? All I see is a box I can type a gender description into, after I've chosen "custom"

The fact that the top comment on the article is "Yet we still don't have a "dislike" button..." has left me in stitches.
    "You are not a body; you do not have a soul. You have a body; you are a soul."
    ~C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Bait better.
    Gay people where subject to the same medical theory, for close to the same reason as what you are saying people not like you, who have gender Identity issues are.
    You want to say it's a neurological abnormality or whatever. OK well, they say that about gay people too. Well being gay is not thought of in those same constraints anymore, so after such a swing and a miss, why flock to the same thing with some other group? (*I mean other then confirming your own bias)
    So you didn't explain it at all, and still don't grasp why the fundamental difference is actually relevant, and how modern psychiatry hasn't found any such defect for sexual orientation and even removed it as a mental condition. But yet, remarkably, there's a shitload of bigoted doctors out there with a bunch of shit science because you just say so. Handwave harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    Huh? All I see is a box I can type a gender description into, after I've chosen "custom"
    Start entering random characters, like T or M or W, you'll see.

Deleted
    It's alright they can call themselves whatever they want.
    Don't get mad when I don't refer to you as demisexual transmogified female man with genderfluids

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Yeah, go faceboo- 50?

I mean, sure i'm glad for them and all, but 50?

I'm struggling to find 6 as it is.
    Apparently there's an unsure opinion.

Um...I'm unsure how someone could be unsure. Especially when there's 49 other options.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Is this the beauty of tolerance or people being a little crazy? Is gender really a social construct?
    Not sure also, when Facebook offers tons of different languages, yet has Pirate and others mixed in there.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2014-02-14 at 01:12 AM.