Thread: Gnome Hunters

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I think the best argument is that Goblins can be Hunters.
    just because goblins can be hunters doesnt mean gnomes should be hunters. There should be some restrictions to classes and races. Otherwise why not just let every race be all classes. In the end what does it really matter?

The thing is you want to have these restrictions so it makes the races that can be those classes a little bit more special, a little bit more flavorful.
    Hi

Deleted
    no more class/race combination pls.

so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeas View Post
    Knowing how to use firearms doesn't suddenly make you a Hunter. There's more to it than that.

What makes a Hunter a Hunter? The main things other than being able to use a gun:
    - They are resourceful. They make so much with what little they have in the wild in order to survive.
    - Survival skills as well; knowing how to manipulate the environment to their advantage e.g. using of traps that aren't influenced by advanced technology, but by creativity (something along the lines of that rope snare trap with berries on it).
    - An intimate connection with nature. Having first-hand experience with the natural world and its wildlife in order to be able to see yourself through a variety of perilous situations.

I don't think Gnomes are interested in nature or all that survivalist stuff. Not then they have these gadgets and gizmos they could use instead. Now, it's not impossible for a Gnome to have those skills, but why go through all that trouble? I don't think the stereotypical* Gnome would bother setting up intricate traps to catch their prey, not when they have the Super-Automated-Food-Catcher 3000. Nor would they bother surveying the environment for the nearest water source when instead they could pull out some fancy satellite technology to find it for them. A typical Gnome doesn't have the mindset to be a Hunter. All the technology they have pretty much nullifies the need for all those Hunter skills.

My Dwarf Hunter Uses Guns, has a Dog, He is mining and Engineering. Nothing in his quest history says he has been in-tuned with Nature, He fires Fireworks from his gun, and when he shoots his traps, they are just another mechanical device he is using.

At level 100 the talent which makes it so He never has to have a pet out will be used. So tell me how my Dwarf is anything nature related? Also my goblins (I have a few) are anti-natural to the extreme, they make Gnomes look like Hippy tree huggers, how are they in anyway Nature related. Have you been to any Goblin Zones? Sorry your argument fails to convince because it is false on all counts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    just because goblins can be hunters doesnt mean gnomes should be hunters. There should be some restrictions to classes and races. Otherwise why not just let every race be all classes. In the end what does it really matter?

The thing is you want to have these restrictions so it makes the races that can be those classes a little bit more special, a little bit more flavorful.
    the only classes that should be restricted are Shamen, Druid, Warlock, and Paladin. Rogue, Priest, Warrior, Hunter and Mage should be open to all.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    My Dwarf Hunter Uses Guns, has a Dog, He is mining and Engineering. Nothing in his quest history says he has been in-tuned with Nature, He fires Fireworks from his gun, and when he shoots his traps, they are just another mechanical device he is using.

At level 100 the talent which makes it so He never has to have a pet out will be used. So tell me how my Dwarf is anything nature related? Also my goblins (I have a few) are anti-natural to the extreme, they make Gnomes look like Hippy tree huggers, how are they in anyway Nature related. Have you been to any Goblin Zones? Sorry your argument fails to convince because it is false on all counts.
    What the hell? Are you serious? "Anti-natural? "Goblin zones?" Oh my god

From an early age the call of the wild draws some adventurers from the comfort of their homes into the unforgiving primal world outside. Those who endure become hunters. Masters of their environment, they are able to slip like ghosts through the trees and lay traps in the paths of their enemies. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/class/hunter

"False on all counts" my left foot. Since when did having an understanding of outdoorsmanship turn into freaking 'HiPpYDrUiDSuPeRTrEehUgGeRFeMiNiSteQuAlrIgHtS'? They're not the same thing.

We're not on the same page, so I don't think it's possible to have any sort of meaningful dialogue at this point. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by Aeas; 2014-02-17 at 05:41 AM.

Deleted
    Support it 110%. Feels odd and sad that gnomes are the only race not able to be hunters. : /

Knowing how to use firearms doesn't suddenly make you a Hunter. There's more to it than that.

What makes a Hunter a Hunter? The main things other than being able to use a gun:
    - They are resourceful. They make so much with what little they have in the wild in order to survive.
    - Survival skills as well; knowing how to manipulate the environment to their advantage e.g. using of traps that aren't influenced by advanced technology, but by creativity (something along the lines of that rope snare trap with berries on it).
    - An intimate connection with nature. Having first-hand experience with the natural world and its wildlife in order to be able to see yourself through a variety of perilous situations.

I don't think Gnomes are interested in nature or all that survivalist stuff. Not then they have these gadgets and gizmos they could use instead. Now, it's not impossible for a Gnome to have those skills, but why go through all that trouble? I don't think the stereotypical* Gnome would bother setting up intricate traps to catch their prey, not when they have the Super-Automated-Food-Catcher 3000. Nor would they bother surveying the environment for the nearest water source when instead they could pull out some fancy satellite technology to find it for them. A typical Gnome doesn't have the mindset to be a Hunter. All the technology they have pretty much nullifies the need for all those Hunter skills.
    And then there is Marksman; snipers.

Gnomes invented the modern rifles the Alliance use now and have shown to be skilled snipers. Like Taurens are 'paladins' aka Sunwalkers, could Gnome be 'hunters' aka snipers. Just game mechanics. (And you honestly think Gnomes can't be creative without advanced technology?)

What the hell? Are you serious? "Anti-natural? "Goblin zones?" Oh my god

From an early age the call of the wild draws some adventurers from the comfort of their homes into the unforgiving primal world outside. Those who endure become hunters. Masters of their environment, they are able to slip like ghosts through the trees and lay traps in the paths of their enemies. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/class/hunter

"False on all counts" my left foot. Since when did having an understanding of outdoorsmanship turn into freaking 'HiPpYDrUiDSuPeRTrEehUgGeRFeMiNiSteQuAlrIgHtS'? They're not the same thing.

We're not on the same page, so I don't think it's possible to have any sort of meaningful dialogue at this point. Best of luck to you.
    And shit, cant read that, hurts my fucking brain lol, you should write as normal people.

And what stop gnomes from 'endure the primal world outside'? They are more resourceful then any other race, and building traps seems to be one thing Gnomes could do well imo.
    Last edited by mmoc2affe961ff; 2014-02-17 at 11:26 AM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    Like Taurens are 'paladins' aka Sunwalkers, could Gnome be 'hunters' aka snipers. Just game mechanics.
    Hmm, yeah I guess I could see this working.

I only wanted to address that whole "hey if he can hold a gun that obviously means he's a hunter" in my initial post. I didn't want to go further than that.
    Last edited by Aeas; 2014-02-17 at 12:05 PM.

Deleted
    Hmm, yeah I guess I could see this working.

I only wanted to address that whole "hey if he can hold a gun that obviously means he's a hunter" in my initial post. I don't want to go further than that.
    Blizz can stretch anything, we have seen that before!

Haha, I understand what you mean with that.

gnomes are too small to control fierce jungle animals. their pets would step on them and squash them dead.
    But the mighty Dragons they have as Mounts are different? You really didnt think this through did you?

Deleted
    gnomes are too small to control fierce jungle animals. their pets would step on them and squash them dead.
    Oh, but that isn't anything a Gnome can fix!

http://www.wowhead.com/item=10716/gnomish-shrink-ray Ta-dah. You got a Devilsaur, pint-size! (Would die laughing with that, a little gnome and his little devilsaur that chomp a big mean tauren to bits)

10+ Year Old Account

I'd like that, but at this point Gnome is the only race that can't be hunter... take the hunter away from forsaken and give it to Gnome!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really no deep points you need to make for gnome hunters. They should've been a thing years ago, and nothing's stopping them in the gameplay (or lore) department other than Blizzard's apparent hesitation to just do it already.

I would roll a gnome hunter today if I could.....would be my first gnome char Aswell

Deleted
    No. Screw gnome hunters, and screw gnomes overall. Screw them.

Plus, just because an NPC has a gun, then it doesn't mean they're a hunter. Warriors can equip guns aswell, and they used to have guns when tanking because that's the weapon that usually gave def tank stats.

Quote Originally Posted by sunxsera View Post
    i really don `t like gnomes, but hunter fit gnomes more than tauren / undead in my opineon.
    Gnome hunters make more since than Tauren hunters?

Umm, NO. Gnome hunters make far less sense than Tauren ones.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

I'm personally partial to the idea of tauren rogues. I mean, when I play my orc rogue, I often use Mr. Smite's Brass Compass toy that turns you into Mr. Smite and it is quite entertaining and hilarious to stealth around on your toesies as a tauren. But I'm weird like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post
    I'm personally partial to the idea of tauren rogues. I mean, when I play my orc rogue, I often use Mr. Smite's Brass Compass toy that turns you into Mr. Smite and it is quite entertaining and hilarious to stealth around on your toesies as a tauren. But I'm weird like that.
    Rogue, Priest, Warrior, Hunter, Mage.

Or in D&D terms

Fighter, Priest, Ranger, Mage Thief.

These are core classes, they should be allowed for every race .

Paladin, Warlock, Death Knight, Monk, Shamen, and Druid are specialty classes as such having Racial Limits is fine.

Paladin, Druid, Shamen, and Monk are specialized priests. In classic D&D they were limited to specific Races.

Paladin = Priest fighter, always Human
    Druid = Nature Priest, animal focused.
    Shamen = Nature Priest, Element focused.
    Monk = Defensive Priest, Light melee focused, usually Human.

Now some may balk at the use of D&D in this situation, but Metzen and most of the Blizzard Developers play AD&D, and they base a lot of the game on D&D.

The reality is the Gnome Ranger is a bit of a D&D Trope.

Because of the racial bonuses and size defense bonus many people playing rangers and thieves would pick gnomes and halflings when building a D&D character.

Now WOW has changed the style of Gnomes a bit, the lore has made gnomes the leader of steam punk style in a fantasy world.

Which is fine, Gnome Hunters will be a little steam punk and technology driven.

The imagery is actually fairly common in Fiction.

The idea of the tiny woman with the giant gun, is what gnome hunters are like.

I think the reason so many, mostly horde players hate the idea of Gnome hunters is they realize how epic it really would be.

Just think You could make Seras Victoria.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really think the only reason we didn't get Gnome hunters in Cataclysm is because Blizzard deemed their racial too OP for hunters in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Rogue, Priest, Warrior, Hunter, Mage.

Or in D&D terms

Fighter, Priest, Ranger, Mage Thief.

These are core classes, they should be allowed for every race .

Paladin, Warlock, Death Knight, Monk, Shamen, and Druid are specialty classes as such having Racial Limits is fine.

Paladin, Druid, Shamen, and Monk are specialized priests. In classic D&D they were limited to specific Races.

Paladin = Priest fighter, always Human
    Druid = Nature Priest, animal focused.
    Shamen = Nature Priest, Element focused.
    Monk = Defensive Priest, Light melee focused, usually Human.

Now some may balk at the use of D&D in this situation, but Metzen and most of the Blizzard Developers play AD&D, and they base a lot of the game on D&D.

The reality is the Gnome Ranger is a bit of a D&D Trope.

Because of the racial bonuses and size defense bonus many people playing rangers and thieves would pick gnomes and halflings when building a D&D character.

Now WOW has changed the style of Gnomes a bit, the lore has made gnomes the leader of steam punk style in a fantasy world.

Which is fine, Gnome Hunters will be a little steam punk and technology driven.

The imagery is actually fairly common in Fiction.

The idea of the tiny woman with the giant gun, is what gnome hunters are like.

I think the reason so many, mostly horde players hate the idea of Gnome hunters is they realize how epic it really would be.

Just think You could make Seras Victoria.
    First of all - the plural of shaman is shamans. It's not a shaMAN like in superMAN or batMAN. Just like women who practises shamanism isn't shawoman, but shamanka.

Also, what you have posted is not a hunter. It's a typicall steampunk/anime thing, nothing to do with how hunters are depicted in wow.

Gnome death knights/warriors/monks/priests are enough, we don't need any more of this stupid filler race prancing around.