View Poll Results: What is the probability that the Tinker can be the next class ( IYO)

Voters
1260. This poll is closed
  • 0%

660 52.38%
  • 0-10%

189 15.00%
  • 10-20%

58 4.60%
  • 20-30%

51 4.05%
  • 30-40%

30 2.38%
  • 40-50%

58 4.60%
  • 50-60%

48 3.81%
  • 60-70%

34 2.70%
  • 70-80%

38 3.02%
  • 80-90%

25 1.98%
  • 90-100%

69 5.48%
Page 1 of 121
... LastLast

Will Tinkers be a class in WoW?

After a bunch of Demon Hunter threads, let's see how the competing theme pans out.

Reasons for Tinkers:

1. Unique Mechanical class theme. No other class would be like the Tinker if implemented.
    2. Wonderful class for Goblins and Gnomes, probably two of the most neglected races in WoW lorewise.
    3. Plenty of design space to utilize (can use WC3, WoW, or Heroes of the Storm abilities).
    4. Would fill in the remaining mail armor slot.
    5. Blizzard's tweets about Tinkers were very favorable and encouraging.
    6. Tinkers can fill tank, DPS, or Healing roles without breaking their lore, or sacrificing their flavor.
    7. Tinkers can be ranged, giving us a much needed second ranged class.
    8. Tinkers can fit any expansion theme, due to the universal nature of technology.
    9. Technology makes a good counter-theme to the standard Swords and Sorcery of fantasy games.
    10.Tinkers have a very strong connection to the gameworld and its history.

So what do you think? What are the chances of a Tinker class in WoW?

I voted 80%.

Deleted
    Hope so!
    10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope not. They are too close to engineers, i doubt blizz will want to add tinkers.
    Hi

Contrary to popular belief, the twilight series was symbolism for the tinker vs demon hunter fight. Not werewolves and vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the strength of the concept, their connection to Warcraft, and the lack of design space overlap, I would be amazed if they weren't implemented as a WoW class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    I hope not. They are too close to engineers, i doubt blizz will want to add tinkers.
    Its actually not close to Engineering at all. A common, yet ignorant assumption.

They would be cool but I wouldn't personally want to see them for any races but Goblins and Gnomes, I wouldn't mind Blizzard however making racially specific classes.

Mostly I think they need a new system put into place instead of new classes like the epic advanced classes of the WOW RPG. Using heavy use of glyphs and transmog rewards, multiple classes would access special lore based spells and share similar but different takes on traditional lore heavy hero units to bring the Warcraft world to life.

This would allow something that mostly exists in game but lacks one spell to be played in the game, and it would make something like Path of the Titans mixed with Archaeology more interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I would be amazed if they weren't implemented as a WoW class
    Bwa-ha! Oh I am su-u-u-u-r-e you would be completely amazed, "blind" sided (zing!). Your certainty and confidence in your speculation is a marvel. I doubt a day will come when you'll give up on them anymore then I will demon hunters barring a definitive response from Blizzard (yes, tell me why it's already definitive by virtue of inference, I can feel it in you young Skywalker), but I'll be a shoulder for you to cry on. I respect your passion however misguided we seem to think the other is. Your love for the lore is a good thing to see in a world of people who would rather this game be a combat log with portals to every destination.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Teriz gonna be camping this thread. And just to avoid unwanted spam from him, 90-100%. Even though I feel that tinkers don't fit WoW but since they managed to fit Pandaren in Warcraft lore, I won't be surprised if I see laser shooting dinosaurs coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Teriz gonna be camping this thread. And just to avoid unwanted spam from him, 90-100%. Even though I feel that tinkers don't fit WoW but since they managed to fit Pandaren in Warcraft lore, I won't be surprised if I see laser shooting dinosaurs coming soon...
    Pandaren were obvious from day one if you paid attention to the lore community at all. I guess you just have to be able to gauge what other people want as well as what you want to not be surprised so much. Or I guess the alternative to empathy is reducing your standards in general and accepting lasers on dinosaurs.
    The fan art page is in chronological order all the way back to 2004, all you see in 2004 are Pandaren, demon hunters, and deathknights 2/3rds of the time.
    Needed more dwarves. Dwarves are all. Dwarves are the will and the way. I guess I could see a Dwarven Tinker now that I think about Dwarves.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Bwa-ha! Oh I am su-u-u-u-r-e you would be completely amazed, "blind" sided (zing!). Your certainty and confidence in your speculation is a marvel. I doubt a day will come when you'll give up on them anymore then I will demon hunters barring a definitive response from Blizzard (yes, tell me why it's already definitive by virtue of inference, I can feel it in you young Skywalker), but I'll be a shoulder for you to cry on. I respect your passion however misguided we seem to think the other is. Your love for the lore is a good thing to see in a world of people who would rather this game be a combat log with portals to every destination.
    Well, I predicted that the next class would be Monk before MoP was officially announced. I like to think I'm pretty good at seeing what's missing in the class lineup. Right now, the class lineup is definitely missing a technology/mechanical class. It would be a nice change of pace from all the magical junk in the game. Especially since we're flying to places on massive aircraft carriers, and fighting Goblins inside of robotic suits.

Keep in mind, I don't hate the DH concept. I just don't think we need it in modern WoW. Its theme is too redundant to be healthy for the game. Tinkers on the other hand are the exact opposite; They're a fresh, unique class concept within a class lineup that is quickly running out of design space on all fronts.

Also Goblins and Gnomes need a class that reflects their awesome backgrounds.

Deleted
    enchanted do you mean something like that? http://wowhead.com/npc=67490#screenshots:id=336740

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dzikitukan View Post
    enchanted do you mean something like that? http://wowhead.com/npc=67490#screenshots:id=336740
    That would be the "whimsical" crap that GC was talking about.

Many people don't like gnomes.I doubt a class with focus on them would be a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Well, I predicted that the next class would be Monk before MoP was officially announced. I like to think I'm pretty good at seeing what's missing in the class lineup. Right now, the class lineup is definitely missing a technology/mechanical class. It would be a nice change of pace from all the magical junk in the game. Especially since we're flying to places on massive aircraft carriers, and fighting Goblins instead robotic suits.

Keep in mind, I don't hate the DH concept. I just don't think we need it in modern WoW. Its theme is too redundant to be healthy for the game. Tinkers on the other hand are the exact opposite; They're a fresh, unique class concept within a class lineup that is quickly running out of design space on all fronts.
    I know you don't hate them, I just think you don't understand them. You feel I have my own far fetched interpretation that is wrong for basing their strong visual idiosyncrasies as a backbone for a class kit rather than metamorphosis itself. I always hated that spell and it took years for me to finally warm up to it. This is because demon hunters appeal to me for offering the role Wardancers and Slayers offered in Warhammer. Something you seem to dismiss as a spurious connection.

I've predicted a large majority of what Blizzard has done too, and my scoreboard has me feel pretty good at seeing what's missing myself.
    I also predicted a monk, but only upon seeing the custom animation work they put into the pandaren companion pet.

See them in action, I felt like it would be a crime to not have a class using those visual novelties and a perfect vehicle for the beloved Pandaren I've argued for as inevitable since game's inception.

I feel your interpretation of the demon hunter is exactly as redundant and filled with the faults you set it up to have, but I don't think it's an intentional strawman on your part, I just don't think you understand the Demon Hunter because you're too focused on them being Illidan clones and don't seem to even for the sake of a devil's advocate be able to look at them from the generic way you have to break them down to be a mass produced hero unit clone which they have to be to exist outside of Illidan in the first place.

You have to reduce every hero unit to a generic baseline and divorce them from the personality of the hero they are based on. This is why warlocks are playable in the first place instead of being reduced to an enemy NPC faction of evil magi or shaman like the Twilight's Hammer or being forced to be based on Gul'dan.

They had to be broken down into a generic and basic shadow of what they were in the RTS which was rebuilt to make sense in the equally generic "5 man fellowship of dungeon delving adventurers" all player classes must be broken down to.

I think you also place far too much value on Metamorphosis, but I'm not going to even pretend I could change your mind on that, and now I have risked offering you an irresistible chance to now hear why metamorphosis is so important after I just got the patented sermon on redundancy doctrine You've got an airtight circular seal on precluding demon hunters by dismissing their eye binding, glaives, and tattoos and exploring their potentially unique fighting style as non incidental compared to Metamorphosis, via what I would call selective judgement or tunnel vision.

You think I'm special pleading and place far too much value of what they do without metamorphosis.
    I feel they have a good chance of never happening, but if they do, metamorphosis has to be dealt with in a novel way
    that you will always claim strays too far from WC3, while you ignore everything a demon hunter did outside of metamorphosis as if a rogue covers it.

I'm now talking far too much about a class that isn't the Tinker in a thread about the Tinker. But it does still have value on how Warcraft lore has to be distilled and boiled down for any new class. Half the people on this site don't even understand or value a need to use Warcraft's lore as a guideline for a class, making up their own weird Titan or Dragon themed classes that have nothing to do with the hero units.

In many ways I don't see anything being strong enough anymore for a new class without Blizzard taking it's basic traditional framework and running with it somewhere that will always be an exponential exploration of something limited and distilled from it's hero character into a generic clone that is built up again using the basic iconography into something you will always be able to say is too different from it's WC3 counterpart.

Tinkers are one of the few left but feel odd for more than a handful of races, technology and steampunk has always been good for WOW in small doses, but those doses needed to be kept from putting too much frosting on the cake or it risks being overwhelming to the game.

I would not want an expansion based around Gnomeregan or Goblin steampunk environments anymore than I'd want an expansion all about Azshara and naga.

These things I feel work in "rogue gallery" type formats. To risk being redundant, I've felt three things offer enough classic Warcraft flavor to warrant their own expansion, Pandaren, Deathknights, and Demon Hunters. The Burning Crusade seemed to miss the boat forever there, but they left the Legion barely touched on in that expansion, as demonic as it seemed. And now the last two expansions have been increasingly offering foreshadowing on a Legion Based expansion or story on the horizon which is inevitable.

For the first time in a while I was surprised at this expansion's theme but delighted at it's novelty. Before now, I had predicted every expansion accurately as a likely possibility, even Cataclysm at it's basic distillation, though I didn't have a specific vehicle for how they would have us reusing the classic world zones for new reasons to go to older zones for endgame content along with reimagined updated versions of the music in older zones and updated areas and graphical FX. I also was wrong in thinking they'd give level 80-85 characters relevant content in the old world zones they revisited, rather than revamping the 1-60 questing and giving us 5 scattered zones located in the old world, which I feared would do exactly what they did when I first learned of them, namely it rendered the game into "Portals of Warcraft" and it deprived players of a feeling like they had a "new place to go", which I saw echoed as a regret by Ghostcrawler. The majority of people don't understand why recycled content is bad, zone fatigue and immersion. If you can offer solutions to zone fatigue and a sense of place, recycled content in concept is not intrinsically flawed and Cataclysm does not demonstrate that. though you see it touted as an example anytime something old is made new now as inevitable failure.

Had they done something unrealistic resource wise and completely from scratch rebuilt Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms the same way they are the new player models instead of just scattering new things in old places, I feel it would have been much more successful and better for the life span and health of the game. It also would have been monumental as an undertaking.

If they had made the elemental realms into a planar realm we traveled to and lived in, it also would have been healthier for the game I think.

To sell me on Tinkers, I suppose I'd need to know the following.

1. What races can be a tinker
    2. How do you handle itemization and armor slots
    3. What is the theme of the expansion
    4. What does a tinker do and how do they do it
    5. Where do they come from, what level do they start at, and what is their starting experience like?
    6. Where is the foreshadowing in the game for them so far?

I have some really fun images of a tinker in my head, but personally I'm about 50/50 on their existence at all in some way, and about 25% as legit stand alone class.
    But I voted 50%.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-16 at 05:20 PM.

To keep this thread on track and avoid closure, here's some possible Tinker abilities (taken from Heroes of the Storm Tinker hero)

Rock-It! Turret
    Creates a turret that deals 30 damage. Attacks slow movement speed by 25%. Lasts for 30 seconds.

Deth Lazor
    Gazlowe charges his laser. When he releases the laser, it fires, with its range and damage depending on how long Gazlowe charged his laser.

Xplodium Charge
    Places a bomb that deals 65 damage to enemies within target area after 4 seconds, stunning them for 2 seconds.

Grav-o-bomb 3000
    Pulls enemies towards the center of the target area after a 1.5 second delay and deals 150 damage.

Robo-Goblin
    Transforms in to an unstoppable Robo-Goblin. Basic Attacks deal damage to minions and structures. Also charges Deth Lazor and explodes Xplodium Bombs twice as fast. Lasts for 16 seconds.

Heroic Trait - Salvage. Gazlowe can pick up scraps of his old creations to regenerate mana and reduce cooldowns.

Tinker pic:

For those who voted 0%, please post why you think that is. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rhamses; 2014-02-16 at 05:14 PM.

Deleted
    Tinker require expansion theme where they fit in, I cant foresee expansion for tinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexism View Post
    Many people don't like gnomes.I doubt a class with focus on them would be a success.
    It wouldn't only be Gnomes, it would be Goblins as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its actually not close to Engineering at all. A common, yet ignorant assumption.
    Creating Xplodium Charge's are nothing like engineers creating throwable bombs.
    Creating Rock-It! Turret's is nothing like engineers dropping Moll-E or blingtron.
    Creating Deth Lazer's is nothing like engineers fireworks attachment to gloves.

Your resource regeneration / cd reduction of picking up scraps of old creations is nothing like how engineers can salvage dead mechanical creatures.

A new class needs to feel original and different from aspects already in game, just reusing old mechanics will not get people excited. I have my opinion you have yours but do not go accusing people of being ignorant. Lets be civil =)
    Hi

Monks were already in game as npc classes. I have never seen any "tinker" class npcs. I have seen engineer npcs. What weapons would they use? If they are a tech class they would really only want guns. I see demon hunters becoming a class long before tinkers because there are npcs in the game that are demon hunters, one of the most notable being illidan. I honestly don't care one way or another on any of them. Just how I see it going if they were to add either of the two. Think i've seen a few battle mages around as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    This doesn't make an ounce of sense.

Anyways, about tinkers it's the only class I can see as being a real inclusion to the game. I can't see any of the other often asked for classes being added because most of their unique traits have been passed on to the other classes. Tinker is the only unique option left from WC3 that hasn't been implemented into the game for players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Monks were already in game as npc classes. I have never seen any "tinker" class npcs. I have seen engineer npcs. What weapons would they use? If they are a tech class they would really only want guns. I see demon hunters becoming a class long before tinkers because there are npcs in the game that are demon hunters, one of the most notable being illidan. I honestly don't care one way or another on any of them. Just how I see it going if they were to add either of the two. Think i've seen a few battle mages around as well.
    I don't see demon hunter ever being added to the game since it has basically been given to Demo locks. I don't get the logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Tinker require expansion theme where they fit in, I cant foresee expansion for tinkers.
    I don't really see how it would be hard to implement a tech based class. It would actually fit now given that the big deal with the Iron Horde is their technology.

I could see a "South Seas" type expansion where they create dozens and dozens of small islands to find and explore using a ship mechanic similar to Zelda Windwaker with random enemy encounters from pirates and sea monsters (bwa ha ha ha) boats would have to be fast and fun to pilot.

With main massive isles like the Tomb of Sargeras and the Goblin city of Undermine, depending on what happened to it if it was located on Kezan. It could be worked around.
    The Tinker could then be worked into some story around the Horde establishing contact with Undermine, which brings the Alliance into it, as the Undermine Goblins wish to remain neutral. Perhaps the Horde goes to war with the Undermine as Gallywix somehow convinces Zul'jin it's necessary. Meanwhile the Alliance agrees to support the Undermine against the Horde.

I dunno, I'm freestylin' here.

There cannot be too much tech here. This is a fantasy game, and even TBC balanced fantasy with the the fantastic and cosmic. It wasn't too scifi by virtue of the cosmic.
    So,... Um.

That's all i got.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-16 at 05:43 PM.