Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SwizzleTweets View Post
    Exactly, so you might as well play without a guild if you would only be given the 10% XP bonus.
    But Blizzard gave you a reason to join a guild and be careless about the community?

Now how does that reward our guild masters trying hard to build a social good community for their guild?
    If you are trying to build a good social community for your guild, you don't invite people like that into your guild. Any "good guild master" would know that.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    If you are trying to build a good social community for your guild, you don't invite people like that into your guild. Any "good guild master" would know that.
    9/10 of your guildmasters these days have that lovely addon that spams every mother***** in the game with an invite.

Those players should be banned on principle.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well then you would have a decision to make on which one you would want to concentrate your points on. Personally this issue is why I kind of like the basic system FF14 ARR has. The people in the guild do their thing and it allows you to purchase a perk that works for a limited amount of time before it expires or you change it. On raid days we would use the perk that reduced gear wear, other days we would swap from reduced fees for teleportation, increased crafting XP, increased leveling XP, depending on what most people were doing that day.
    Sounds limiting. When our raid is full, some folks who don't make the raid like to PvP. So they should get gimped? I don't see how that makes anything more fun.

I like your concept. I just think it needs to be thought out a bit more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    9/10 of your guildmasters these days have that lovely addon that spams every mother***** in the game with an invite.
    I think it's kinda practical. This way, you know which guilds to avoid right from the beginning.

I agree that it backfired, it's harder for new guilds to take off the ground because people want one that's level 25 and full of perks

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

Yeah - those addons need to be banned. They are pretty lame.

Oh no, I have to respectfully disagree. Our guild has had, and continues to have great fun winning perks for the guild, and thus for our members.
    The gold just barely keeps pace with repairs, and that's fine.

Deleted
    guild perks killed the small guilds... those who didnt raid, that just wanted to be social.

on the other side, it is still possible to get a guild to lvl20 or so with only 2-3 players, but from there, its really hard work. so if you want the higher perks, you have to change to a guild with more members ^^

imo remove the perks, or make it more into a cosmetics thing, than stuff to make your prefession etc become better...

BTW: You can turn off guild invites.
    And if some of the better guilds only take higher levels, then leveling guilds are a temporary necessity.

Deleted
    I can understand why you think the guild perk system backfires.
    However I don't think character perks instead will change much.
    Alot of ppl simple don't care and are to much selfcentered as some ppl already pointed out.
    Ppl where more involved with their guilds in the past simple due to the fact a guild community was needed to achieve certain goals.
    Alot of ppl settle with LFR or Flex nowadays and use OQ instead of looking for a guild.
    I believe they are a part of the problem, however with LFR and Flex alot of the casual players get the enjoy the game more.
    In the end I think its a very difficult mentality problem and don´t think we can do much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    "This thing Blizzard implemented over 3 years ago backfired."
    You're being a bit delusional. It was never intended to bring community together, who cares about that? If you're in a zerg guild full of random people where nobody knows each other, you're there for the same reason everybody else is - perks. While the same perks are there for guilds who actually know each other too.
    If you thought it was a problem why didn't you speak up about it years ago? The only real issue is that if you leave your guild (why would you?) that your rep is depleted (which makes sense) and if you join a new guild it has less benefits because it might not be as active or old. That can be easily remedied by not being a random ADD guild hopper by learning to make friends.
    Actually it was implemented to get more people into guilds. They said that. Source? Yes I have none as I don't keep the habit of knowing what blue said what on what date. But with the introduction it was def. said that there would be more reasons now to join a guild.

And to come back to your: "You should have complained about it years ago." - Really? So everyone who wanted to have a flying mount and got it at TBC, should have realised beforehand that it would ultimately be bad for the game aswell? It took years for Blizzard even to say that they had made a mistake allowing flying mounts. You can debate all your want about flying mounts - this is Blizzards statement. What I am saying is that sometimes you cannot see what is going to happen in the future if you make feature YXZ available as a company. And as a player you first feel like: WoW this is great! Only later you see the error of your ways.

But to come to your post: Backfired is indeed a bit over the top. Sure there are more guilds now then there were before. But you did have people in Vanilla who made guilds just because they could or they wanted to have the biggest roster on the server. That did not change much. Just the added group of wanting to make a profit with selling guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyt View Post
    Oh no, I have to respectfully disagree. Our guild has had, and continues to have great fun winning perks for the guild, and thus for our members.
    The gold just barely keeps pace with repairs, and that's fine.
    I don't know what kind of dog your avatar is but...

Squeee!!!!

The thing I don't get is what incentive a person would have to join a guild without perks, unless you know the people and enjoy their company. If I was a new person and guilds had no perks what's the point of joining a guild? Unless somehow you know they're cool people. Like before the perks I would either join a guild because I knew the people were cool or if a guild had a cool name.

The point was mainly that the perks doesn't contribute to people doing things together as a guild.
    Perks give more of a personal progress, therefore might as well been a personal perk system around instead.

I think Blizzard should gone in this direction instead > http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ds-amp-feature!

I don't find a problem with it. I just wish they'd crack down on people who run addons that spam people for invites. God only knows how many invites I get as soon as I make a new character.

Guild perks destroyed the sense of community in "social" guilds.

One of the worst things to ever be added imo, it sounded good on paper, but it backfired.

No one speaks in these guilds, or does anything together, you are invited as a goldbot, nothing more, most guilds these days that aren't a pvp or raiding guild are starting specifically to mass invite people to line the GM's pockets.

An actual social guild that wants a real community, would have a very hard time recruiting people other than close friends until they get the perks, which depending on amount of players and activity, can take pretty long.

Remove them or add them as an actual guild perk, i.e, all guilds get them all.

I don't think they backfired when we were all level 1 guilds and working on leveling our guilds up. The problem exists now because there's just little to no incentive to join a fresh level 1 guild. Perks need to be front loaded. You join a guild, even a level 1 guild, you get ALL the perks. Guild purchasable vanity items remain locked behind the personal guild rep, and guild levels simply reflect the guild's level, nothing more. Let a guild level up to 90 (100 in WoD). Doesn't unlock anything extra, just says "Hey, we as a collective have played long enough to collectively earn X amount of guild xp." If a level 1 guild and a level 100 guild offer the same perks, then I personally see being in a guild from 1 to 100 as more exciting than simply joining a level 100 guild that's already maxed out. Either way, the perks would be the same since all the perks are front loaded and rewarded at guild level one.

Quote Originally Posted by Goretex View Post
    The thing I don't get is what incentive a person would have to join a guild without perks, unless you know the people and enjoy their company. If I was a new person and guilds had no perks what's the point of joining a guild? Unless somehow you know they're cool people. Like before the perks I would either join a guild because I knew the people were cool or if a guild had a cool name.
    Well admittedly, new players wouldn't know about guild perks and by the time they figured it out guild would be max level.

Guilds used to be about the people, now they are about the level and the perks.
    When I see people asking for a guild, rarely do I see them asking about the progression, playstyle, etc.
    No, I see them asking for lvl 25.

Blizzard messed up with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Toiran View Post
    Guild perks destroyed the sense of community in "social" guilds.

One of the worst things to ever be added imo, it sounded good on paper, but it backfired.

No one speaks in these guilds, or does anything together, you are invited as a goldbot, nothing more, most guilds these days that aren't a pvp or raiding guild are starting specifically to mass invite people to line the GM's pockets.

An actual social guild that wants a real community, would have a very hard time recruiting people other than close friends until they get the perks, which depending on amount of players and activity, can take pretty long.

Remove them or add them as an actual guild perk, i.e, all guilds get them all.
    I really don't think it's guild perks that destroyed it. Truly as I said, it's the spamming any player receives when not in a guild.

I feel the issue is that if a new player comes into the game and gets an invite to a guild as soon as you make a character you get the sense of "oh hey, I'm in an MMO, this is a guild so I want to join this right, since it has people?" But as you said when you join those guilds it's just pretty much a ghost town with 100+ members on.

It's not that guild perks ruined it, it's that people who take advantage of the guild perks, for instance people who are pretty much inviting people to fill their guild bank up, are. The fact that Blizzard let's the guild invite spammers go on their merry way, or even allow the addons that do it continue some what baffles me.