Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Character models: This disturbs me

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...hara_on_04.jpg

Maybe theres a thread on this already, or its been mentioned, but this here, unless its just its current form and will be changed, highlights a fear I've had with WoD.

Every face for the orc here is identical. There is no change to the characteristic of the orcs face in this, and, having played characters who all have there own unique faces for near to 10 years, unless this is just a temporary thing and they do introduce new faces that actually look different over time, I can't tell you how much it will piss me off to see all characters with exactly the same face.

This is one of the hangups I had with pandaren, they all look identical, just different fur markings but its the same character every time.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-02-22 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Big picture
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    What if I told you that WoD isn't out yet.

Deleted
    This seems to be a trend Blizzard are following, there must be a reason for it.

Anyway, I don't look at the faces of dead orcs so it doesn't really matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because they have only made 1 face so far... with the new expressions they have it will take a lot more time to just stick a face on now.

The game is not even in beta. Do you really think the final game will have only one face for new models? Not happening.

I'm going to say that they will change that. They wouldn't even have a face option if there was literally no change.

Beta beta is beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    What if I told you that WoD isn't out yet.
    what if I told you blizzard will do the same thing with all character models they did with pandaren because they make the excuse they don't have the time and money to make unique facial features.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I'm going to say that they will change that. They wouldn't even have a face option if there was literally no change.

Beta beta is beta.
    hope you are right, seriously, but they haven't even completely the other character models yet.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    They aren't that identical,you can more-or-less clearly see the differences between the faces. I can see your point,but honestly I'd rather have a high-res face with only a few minor changes,then low-res ugly faces that are unbearable to watch.

After all,there is always a "toggle new character models" option in the display if you dislike your character. But as I said I can see your point,Trassk.

While I do share your worries about facial differences, this is from Alpha/beta and as such is in a very incomplete state, so I would hold off on the complaint train, until we have confirmation that your worries have come to pass. All it stands to do right now is cause needless upset over an uncertainty.

Then I would tell you that the situation here is very different and there is probably a reason why they did not show different faces on artcraft yet.

Worries me too, but that doesn't warrant people making 4327,684,887,486,989,685.987 separate threads about it...

I'll keep reposting this comparison image for as long as it's relevant:

There are defined differences in the wrinkles, but most of what individualized the old faces was how much their lips were open to reveal teeth, which you can't do through texture work. They need to rig the lips to be able to open varying amounts for each face if they want to preserve that aspect of the old faces.

Few things to say here:

1. The Orc is DK. DKs completely negate any difference around the eyes, so we can't even tell if anything is done there.
    2. They aren't identicle. Look at the eyebrow and forehead particularly. Some small differences in the chin too.
    3. It is early alpha. They haven't finished a single race yet as far as we're aware.

i dont know why people keep passing around that one damn image. ive seen other videos with lots of different faces
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    The Death Knight is not the best class to show model changes, just saying...

That and the fact that we can't see what really made the faces different, the teeth, it's a bit hard to take an stance on this issue.

Deleted
    I've read a tweet or two from the developers that they have a plan in mind to increase facial distinctiveness.
    Too lazy to look it up and link it now - sorry. But they did acknowledge the worry, also because the Pandaren don't have many facial options.
    I'd say just wait and see, there's nothing else you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I'm going to say that they will change that. They wouldn't even have a face option if there was literally no change..
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    The game is not even in beta. Do you really think the final game will have only one face for new models? Not happening.
    The problem is that the faces ARE different faces. The differences are just so small that it's hard to really see them unless you look closely.

Given that Blizz has obviously taken the time to make them different on Beta makes me think these likely will be the final faces.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

hope you are right, seriously, but they haven't even completely the other character models yet.
    But we don't know exactly where they are in the design process, nor do we know in which build of the game that these screens are taken from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinresh View Post
    I'll keep reposting this comparison image for as long as it's relevant:

There are defined differences in the wrinkles, but most of what individualized the old faces was how much their lips were open to reveal teeth, which you can't do through texture work. They need to rig the lips to be able to open varying amounts for each face if they want to preserve that aspect of the old faces.
    Sorry but ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? You Actually think you see a difference in these faces, that they actually compare to the old faces side by side??!!

You must be a comedian, because this has to be a joke.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's the eyes that are the problem, the old eyes are very expressive and different shapes and it's very easy to tell the difference...the new ones don't change that much and it's like playing a game of spot the difference :P I can see where you are coming from they don't look anything like their old counterparts which is a little disappointing...