Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are warriors at the bottom in tanking?

Hello everyone,

Serious question in my post. I have been playing my Warrior in SoO and I just feel so underpowered in comparison to my Pally and Monk tanks. Im at a relatively low item level at the moment (527) but I feel squishier than when I started with my pally in SoO when it first opened up and we where all around that ilevel. Norushen was horrendous. I died nearly every time, my shield barrier was up, I interrupted all the hurls, popped all my CD's. Does it get any better? I heard a guildie say warriors are the worst tanks atm, is there any truth to that? I appreciate the feedback!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for Heroic or world-first kind of players, but warrior tanks are more than capable of doing SoO content on LFR, Flex and Normal. Their mechanics actually let them excel at some fights. Norushen in particular is fun because you can Spell Reflect in the trial realm for massive damage.

So yes, it gets better.

Norushen was painful for me until I read what another warrior was doing. He was
    basically running in circles around the add. Once I started doing that...cake. Also
    don't forget that a health pot can help while at lower item levels. You also have
    demo shout, banner, shield wall if you fill the need to use them.

10+ Year Old Account
    currently progressing through Heroic (6/14H atm) with my warrior tank. I don't feel weaker or squishier than my Pala bro.

the warrior has quite many skills and tricks up his sleeve, so never a dull moment. yes, norushen trial realm can be a bit annoying at times, but you can't really compare something that is purposely designed to do MASSIVE damage to you unless you pop the right skill at exactly the right time, to general boss tanking.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Finding the realm hard on Norushen with pants gear is natural, I play three tanks and had difficulty (and had to use CD's!) on all of them until they were ~540.

About warrior tanks: We used double Warrior Tank for all of our progress. Two amazing raid cooldowns, amazing damage and great utility (having nine action bars of interrupts and stuns is amazing for garrosh heroic).

If anything, I'd say Warriors are close to the top of tanking.

That's awesome. Glad to hear there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I never thought about that spell reflect trick...pretty awesome. Thanks!

Sometimes I feel a bit limited in the mobility and aoe threat departments (but that's more because monk and dk have some much more powerful tools, and by comparison warrior is constrained). Survival wise, Nourishen will get better, everything else is average or above average. Tools that stand out are Demo and Mocking banner, Rally, Vigilance, Spell Reflect, and Heroic Leap. Abuse those and you will have a much better time.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Warrior tanks are great. We used one for all of our 14/14H progression. Good cooldowns and great damage. The DPS they pull on H Siegecrafter and some other fights is pretty ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really the bottom. In terms of damage output (Important on 10 man heroic progression), warriors are close to the top in AoE, and I think top ST. In terms of damage taken, they are similar to paladins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    Sometimes I feel a bit limited in the mobility and aoe threat departments (but that's more because monk and dk have some much more powerful tools, and by comparison warrior is constrained). Survival wise, Nourishen will get better, everything else is average or above average. Tools that stand out are Demo and Mocking banner, Rally, Vigilance, Spell Reflect, and Heroic Leap. Abuse those and you will have a much better time.
    Monk's SpasticSmash™ does absolutely pants-on-head retarded damage though, I'm literally amazed it's been left (mostly) untouched.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Currently at 11/14 hc with my warrior tank. In my experience high incoming damage for warriors is always a result of suboptimal mitigation usage and lacking knowledge about bossmehanics and niché abilities like spellreflect and disarm.

During progress my damage was ALWAYS significantly higher then my co tank´s damage (paladin) and it never seemed like my death was what caused a wipe. Mostly my death was caused by something bad happening before.

Now, if you feel like posting a log of one of your raids I might see some minor flaws. All in all I believe it´s all about experience and training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Monk's SpasticSmash™ does absolutely pants-on-head retarded damage though, I'm literally amazed it's been left (mostly) untouched.
    Somewhat off-topic, but monk tanks were nerfed pretty hard with the introduction of 5.4. They now have a -15% damage modifier baked into their tanking stance, so all output is nerfed heavily including Keg Smash.

Back on topic with warriors, we seem to be in a pretty decent place atm. We've good AOE threat, one of the few (only?) AOE taunts left, good CDs, pretty nice output, etc.

Deleted
    Definately not, it all comes down to the player and his/her personal skill in the end.

You might just be playing with more skilled&experienced tanks that know what they are doing.

You forgot that Brewmaster-monks got a flat nerf to their damage a while ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Hello everyone,

Serious question in my post. I have been playing my Warrior in SoO and I just feel so underpowered in comparison to my Pally and Monk tanks. Im at a relatively low item level at the moment (527) but I feel squishier than when I started with my pally in SoO when it first opened up and we where all around that ilevel. Norushen was horrendous. I died nearly every time, my shield barrier was up, I interrupted all the hurls, popped all my CD's. Does it get any better? I heard a guildie say warriors are the worst tanks atm, is there any truth to that? I appreciate the feedback!
    Wars are one of the top tanks atm hands down. They have Shield Barrier, which at high vengeance levels is OP as fuck (1 mil+ shields easily in 25 man), and they have absolutely ridiculous damage to boot (I usually average around 400K DPS on Protectors 25H as an example). Combine that with the utility they have in Taunt Banner, Demo Banner, and Skull Banner / Rally / Shattering, and you have quite the well-rounded tank. As for being squishy, honestly, I've never felt spiky on my Warrior, and that's playing Crit Build using double DPS trinkets.

Also, just a tip: On Norushen's down phase, you can spell reflect the hurls. I suggest taking Mass Spell Reflection for that fight so you have 2x spell reflects and can get out of there asap. If you have Rooks Talisman, pop it when he's doing things such as Burst of Corruption which are unavoidable damage. If you're still having issues getting out even doing that, take Avatar and pop Reck / Banner / Avatar down there and wreck the mob.

Good luck, hope this post helped even slightly.

Deleted
    Monks still are the top tank for damage done, especially dem 2m crits no Siegecraft phwoar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    monk tanks were nerfed pretty hard with the introduction of 5.4. They now have a -15% damage modifier baked into their tanking stance
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    You guys miss the "(mostly)" you literally quoted off me? I was well aware of that, I have a monk tank, SpasticSmash™ still hits ridiculously hard.

Just fun tabbing back in to see the guy your tanking with has run around gathered all the trash and the group is busy killing it; to run up, SpasticSmash™ once, and get threat on the entire room.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-02-26 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    And yet they are still far and away the best damage dealing tank.

You guys miss the "(mostly)" you literally quoted off me? I was well aware of that, I have a monk tank, SpasticSmash™ still hits ridiculously hard.

Just fun tabbing back in to see the guy your tanking with has run around gathered all the trash and the group is busy killing it; to run up, SpasticSmash™ once, and get threat on the entire room.
    We have our WW going BM for Garrosh at the moment, so he just zones in as BM instead of going as WW. I honestly don't even try to fight for adds on that trash, because it's pointless. And this coming from the guy who ends up tanking EVERY mob in trash pulls anyway. Our Paladin OT says "Man, I love tanking with Gunt, he tanks everything so I can eat my food during trash pulls."

Deleted
    Keg smash damage isn't my problem. My problem is this - Deals a high amount of threat. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=121253/keg-smash Just a general point, but it was annoying to be able to see my fellow monk tank running around in a CM mega pull, be able to hold aggro, and not be touched. Just couldn't imagine that as a warrior.

Personally think most tanks seem pretty close and it should really be down to the level of the player unless you are in absolute need of some abilities.
    Last edited by mmoc5247e124b4; 2014-02-26 at 06:22 PM. Reason: clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    Deals a high amount of threat
    It's the Dizzying Haze effect that gives "high amount of threat", which has 0 effect on raid bosses (as they can't gain the Dizzying Haze debuff). It does have an effect on trash though, but the threat amount is (186.24+(5.52*AP)). It's what makes monks great at being able to pick up adds quickly with keg toss.