Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tips for PvE disc

I have a 559 disc priest that averages about 80k hps (i have legendary meta/cloak) and do a regualr 10m raid with 2 other healers, pally and resto druid. I am usually second in heals done but the druid kicks me pretty hard. Are there any tips to help increase my heals? I need to know what kind of burst heals you guys use. We will be progressing to heroics soon and it will be me and the pally as heals, the druids going boomy. Please help. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by medicc View Post
    I have a 559 disc priest that averages about 80k hps (i have legendary meta/cloak) and do a regualr 10m raid with 2 other healers, pally and resto druid. I am usually second in heals done but the druid kicks me pretty hard. Are there any tips to help increase my heals? I need to know what kind of burst heals you guys use. We will be progressing to heroics soon and it will be me and the pally as heals, the druids going boomy. Please help. Thank you
    First of all, healing is not a competion. If noone dies during a boss fight you guys have done everything correctly.
    Disc doesnot have a lot of burst healing options, best grp burst heal is imo binding heal+glyph, but thats very very expensive manawise.
    You should be aware of incoming burst dmg and shield your group with Spirit Shell or PW:S.
    Burst Healing in terms of single Healing Penance would be the best option here, as it is very cheap and heals a lot.
    If your Raid 10m, you should gear towards crit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thsoern View Post
    First of all, healing is not a competion. If noone dies during a boss fight you guys have done everything correctly.
    Disc doesnot have a lot of burst healing options, best grp burst heal is imo binding heal+glyph, but thats very very expensive manawise.
    You should be aware of incoming burst dmg and shield your group with Spirit Shell or PW:S.
    Burst Healing in terms of single Healing Penance would be the best option here, as it is very cheap and heals a lot.
    If your Raid 10m, you should gear towards crit.
    Agree about "healing is not a competition" at all, anyway, never used Bindings heal specially lately.
    Your burst is avoiding other healers burst preventing/moderate damage.
    Said that, druid should beat you just in some fight, not all (I suppose same ilvl/experience), especially fights where you have to move a lot like Norushen or Malkorok where ppl are usually spread out.
    Your goal is to predict/anticipate who will take damage and how much, I usually run SoO from Immerseus to Thok (that is our usual progression in one night)
    using only Shield + penance + PoM + atonement, and ofc SS when needed. Flash heal just to backup.
    The big advice I can give you is : don't try to compete while you are healing, focus on the right thing to do in the right moment.

And sorry for crap english.

/cheer
    Last edited by mmoc5b375af2d7; 2014-02-28 at 10:50 AM.

You dont seem very knowledgible on the basics OP the way you worded your post gave me this impression at least, i suggest starting by consulting a guide:
    http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837

Other than that. Learn the fights in their entirety, not just what you think is relevant to you, and learn to pre-blanket absorbs. Swap your talents based on the encounters and tactics your guild uses (example: are you stacking on Norushen? Then its Divine Star. Etc.)

There is absolutely no reason why you should be beaten by a resto druid while 3 healing normals with 560 ilvl, unless you are doing something terribly wrong that is.
    Disciplines niche is absorbs. Learn to (ab)use them.

Oh and Binding Heal is a fantastic spell, especially if glyphed.

Deleted
    Yeah, you should be ahead of a paladin and a druid in the vast majority of fights in heroic 10 man as a discipline priest, even more so in normal difficulty. When you get to the point of two healing normal, you and the druid should be very comparable with the druid perhaps edging out on a couple of encounters that favour their heals more.

For actual tips we'd need to know how you are healing at the moment.

Are you maximising Archangel uptime? Are you timing Spirit Shell so that the absorbs are pre-layered before incoming damage? Are you using the meta gem proc to layer PW:S and try and eek in a free L90 talent? Are you making good use of the L90 talents in the first place? What sort of gemming are you doing?

I find disabling raid frames can help (save screen space and slightly increases FPS).

Also consider just turning your monitor off if what's happening on the screen is taking your attention away from your atonement rotation.

If you're healing normal... with 3 healers... as a disc, literally just atonement healing would put you top of heals (with that gear!) by a long shot.

I don't know what you're doing.

I need to know what kind of burst heals you guys use.
    T90 talents, offensive penance + solace/Holy fire.

Glyphed binding heal is also amazing if you manage your mana well. Don't use it very often, but keep it as a backup if things go really wrong.

Try to use your T90 talent before the damage happen(with archangel), instead of after. Remember, you are a disc priest, and preventing damage is your strongest side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post

If you're healing normal... with 3 healers... as a disc, literally just atonement healing would put you top of heals (with that gear!) by a long shot.
    Well this is a bit exagerate. Only Atonement doesn't put you on top at all. Atonement is really important and determinant but you cannot compare
    another healing class just with Atonement, It is not enought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylex View Post
    Well this is a bit exagerate. Only Atonement doesn't put you on top at all. Atonement is really important and determinant but you cannot compare
    another healing class just with Atonement, It is not enought.
    He's a resto shaman, ofc he's going to hate (since we're stealing all his heals QQ). Other than that, he can't even read, because OP said they'll start doing heroics soon (2heal).

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    He's a resto shaman
    he can't even read

< Ad Infinitum - World 28th - Ravencrest - Alliance - Elemental Shaman - EU >
    he can't even read
    Anzen, 90 Pandaren Elemental Shaman, Ravencrest
    he can't even read
    Teach pls

we're stealing all his heals QQ
    :'(( QQ
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-02-28 at 02:51 PM.

It wont let me post my page from worldofwarcraft. I'm MÈdÎc from Korgath. the E is spelled with alt 0200 and the I is with alt 0206

I have a lot of macros:
    1. /use Prayer of Healing
    /use Spirit Shell
    2. /use Power Word: Solace(Talent)
    /use Inner Focus
    3. /use Smite
    /use Archangel
    /use Power Infusion
    4. /use [target=targettarget][harm] Prayer of Mending
    /use Contemplation of Chi-Ji
    5. /target MÈdÎc
    /use Cascade
    6. /use [target=targettarget][harm] Power Word: Shield
    From what I am reading, I'm doing everything you guys are, except for the binding heal. Never been a big fan of that, not even as holy... eats too much mana.
    I do my normal rotation to the boss: penance, solace, PoM, PW:S, smite, smite, smite.
    PoH (the macro) to make my 'super bubble' frequently when incoming damage is occurring or about to. PW:B on stacking phases (Thok, Sun's bubble phase, Garrosh whirling corruption) and the occasional flash heal and void shift.
    I completely agree that healing (and dps) is not a competition. Its frustrating when I cant keep up with a druid (whom I believe is number crunching to make it look better on his part) I'm terrified of 2 healing normal let alone heroics :/

Deleted
    I've never understood how people can speak about HEALING ROTATION.
    This sound crazy to me.

I'm MÈdÎc from Korgath. the E is spelled with alt 0200 and the I is with alt 0206
    let me do a macro
    Last edited by mmoc5b375af2d7; 2014-02-28 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%8Ec/advanced

You're gonna have to take a look at your gearing mate. That's way overkill in spirit and way too little crit.
    At your itemelevel you should be looking at at least 35-40% crit and mastery unbuffed and probably no more than 10k spirit.

Well, basically...
    -PWS for rapture or during metagem procs
    -SS before big dmg (and barrier when it makes sense)
    -PoH for sustained AoE. I'd rather let my druid mate slowly tick them up if there's no more incomming damage like for example after the Iron Star thing on garrosh or War song on Naz. Druids do it more efficiently and probably already had HoTs out anyways that would only go to overhealing if I healed too.
    -PoM when it makes sense, try to allways have one out though
    -Make sure to use Archangel pretty much on cooldown. You can macro it to PoH and your level 90 talents to make things easier

-Level 90 talents when it makes sense. Picking the right one for each fight is very important too.
    --- I generally save halo for either big dmg on most fights i pick it on (Blackfuse for example) or pop it on a LMG proc (Malkorok)
    --- Divine star can be used basically on cooldown. Might want to delay it in some cases to time it better with Garrosh swirls, Thok shouts etc.

-Spam atonement while not doing any of the above. Penance/HF on cooldown, smite in between
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2014-02-28 at 02:55 PM.

Yeah, thats something I have read a lot about. Much higher crit.

I would love to POST the link but it wont let me. Says I have to post more comments and stuff.

Deleted
    No worries, I just linked your char above

I reforged everything. My ask mr robot is having a fit lol. Only got to 25% crit. As high as it will go.

Hey. I went in to AMR for you and got this after a minute of playing around:

http://imgur.com/Yb5Yn7U.jpg (I have NO idea how to link an AMR optimized profile, so I just took a pic...) I tried to keep your spirit around 10,000 static (~12k effective) - although I was able to take it to around 8.5k static (10k effective mind you) - because I feel like you'll be more comfortable to start out with this. That is the HIGH end of what Disc is running atm. I would suggest seeing how this feels and adjusting down further as you get more comfortable.

Anyway, reforge out of all spirit. Where applicable (cloak, belt, neck) I reforged out of the haste instead. However, on your boots, I went ahead and reforged out of the spirit, because you get more crit (and even reforging out of the spirit you are still way about what most Discs are using currently for spirit). However, if you want, you could just reforge out of haste, up to you.

I also changed your cloak enchant to Lightweave (int proc) because you really shouldn't need Darkweave. Again, try playing around with it - if you hate it, swap back nbd.

Don't bother with crappy socket bonuses like +60SPR. Not worth it.

Finally, try to get the timeless Yu'Lon's Bite trinket, and swap it for the Contemplation of Chi-Ji trinket you have. Yu'Lon's is almost BiS until heroics.

Other notes: don't use Power Infusion; use ToF. You should almost always have 40%-60% uptime on most fights in SoO, higher even on fights like Immerseus, Galakras, Nazgrim, etc, where there are adds. The PoM glyph is very situational; use the PW:S glyph (reduction on WS) and the Penance glyph almost always. The third slot is your "whatever is best for the fight" slot, typically an armor glyph (like IW or IF) or Holy Fire, or PoM if you wanted. For minor glyphs, use sfiend, it removes the GCD from casting sfiend/mindbender.

If you're uncomfortable dropping all this spirit...just give it a go anyway. Make sure you're using sfiend as soon as possible on every fight (meaning ~60% mana) and trying to time it with when you can use HoH at the same time. Then cast it again as soon as it comes back up later. I can almost always get 2+ sfiend casts off in a fight. Make sure you're using Penance and HF on CD, Inner Focus on CD (or timed with SS, you can macro it in), as well as SS and your 90 talents as close as possible to CD (damage permitting, obviously be smart about it). Keep shields on the tanks as best you can and watch your Rapture CD. PoM off tanks (track your jumps). Things like that. It might be rough since you're used to literally swimming in mana, but don't be fooled, 10k static is still swimming in mana. You're going to be fine.

Hopefully this helps. If you have logs I can help more. I feel like once you get your gearing in the right place, you will notice your output will jump WAY up.
    Last edited by Tulani; 2014-02-28 at 04:01 PM.

Deleted
    10 x Purified Imperial Amethyst (int+spirit)
    5 x Sparkling River's Heart (spirit)
    2 x Misty Wild Jade (spirit+crit)

That's your problem right there :P

Red = Int+Crit
    Yellow = Crit
    Blue = Spirit+Crit

And like mentioned above, ignore small socket bonuses with spirit on items like boots and rings and put pure Crit gems in them instead.

changed my gems and crit is at 29.99 spirit at 12k. did an lfr to try it out and went from averaging 80k to 110k. muuuuuch better

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you guys for the help so far. It's made a huge difference
    Last edited by medicc; 2014-02-28 at 04:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Teach pls

:'(( QQ
    Do you seriously think I would read your sig? Your have resto spec, so yeah, what I said before.

changed my gems and crit is at 29.99 spirit at 12k. did an lfr to try it out and went from averaging 80k to 110k. muuuuuch better

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you guys for the help so far. It's made a huge difference
    Reforge out of spirit (10k max, you don't need more for ANY fight in SOO).