Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

New Stat Squish looks Awesome

The new stat squish looks fantastic. I am hopeful they go back to Vanilla-esqe gearing where BWL gear was not too too tremendously better than UBRS gear. Definitely a good step for the game. Although I may miss getting my back to back 500K crits. I played an ele shaman for better part of a decade and recently switched my main to a DPS Warrior. Holy Crap is all I have to say.

Unfortunately, they are just bring us back down to Wrath levels at 90. By 100 we will be at ~Cata levels, and by expansion #7 we will need another squish.
    You just lost The Game

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Unfortunately, they are just bring us back down to Wrath levels at 90. By 100 we will be at ~Cata levels, and by expansion #7 we will need another squish.
    False, they are going to upgrade stats more linearly now, so we wont be up to MoP stats by xpac #7

Quote Originally Posted by hoofton View Post
    False, they are going to upgrade stats more linearly now, so we wont be up to MoP stats by xpac #7
    That would result in the problem that gear from old content will be too similar to new content. We already had that problem during Vanilla with seval sets with a very good set bonus. They had to nerf them so people would stop wearing them 2 raids later.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

doesnt look awesome to me.. looks like they just erased 6 years of progress.. for all intended purposes you can say that your character gained NO power in the last 6 years.. Wrath, Cata, Panda ... you just had all that progress your character made.. null and voided. welcome to the biggest nerf in the history of the game. and before the i kill it in 5 seconds like i did before the squish crowd.. i had no problems killing in the same time frame as now as when i was in BC either.

Ill take the squish and get over it.. but i expect to see the biggest mass exit yet when the overwhelmingly large DPS crowd gets the news.

Deleted
    There is no way around needing another item squish in 2-4 expansions.

Reason: Every new raid gear needs a significant increase in power because otherwise raids would be only skill dependant and worse ppl wouldn't outgear it over time, which is extremely important to be possible. The huge part of item progression in raids would be too small to be noticeable. Very many raids wouldn't be able to beat bosses because they would be way more skill dependat than gear dependant.
    That's why you see the curve in the chart going up a lot at lvl 100. Linear progression is only possible inbetweet expansions.

Raid tiers in one expansion can't have (low) linear progression like leveling content has.

edit: added the chart i spoke about
    Last edited by mmoc5b249aa738; 2014-02-28 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    That would result in the problem that gear from old content will be too similar to new content. We already had that problem during Vanilla with seval sets with a very good set bonus. They had to nerf them so people would stop wearing them 2 raids later.
    There is transmog now though, who cares if they use an older set. Isn't that better.

In the old old days no one looked the same.

Those who played alot had UBRS gear

Those that raided mid level had MC gear

Those that raided higher end had BWL gear

Those that were Uber Raiders had Naxx gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    doesnt look awesome to me.. looks like they just erased 6 years of progress.. for all intended purposes you can say that your character gained NO power in the last 6 years.. Wrath, Cata, Panda ... you just had all that progress your character made.. null and voided. welcome to the biggest nerf in the history of the game. and before the i kill it in 5 seconds like i did before the squish crowd.. i had no problems killing in the same time frame as now as when i was in BC either.

Ill take the squish and get over it.. but i expect to see the biggest mass exit yet when the overwhelmingly large DPS crowd gets the news.
    I don't agree at all and I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. This isn't a nerf at all - leveling will no longer be this disjointed process of variable item level gains. The current level of gear and stats is out of control. I started this expansion leaving Cata doing 50k dps (already huge compared to the usual 8 - 10k in Wrath) to 400k today. Continuing like that I'd be reaching over a million or more at the start of WoD. Tanks? 4k in classic, 8 - 10k in TBC, 40k in Wrath, 200k in Cata, and 1.2 million in MoP. See where those numbers are going? This is needed. Every tier and every expansion needs a larger and larger increase in power to feel like you're actually increasing in power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    There is transmog now though, who cares if they use an older set. Isn't that better.

In the old old days no one looked the same.

Those who played alot had UBRS gear

Those that raided mid level had MC gear

Those that raided higher end had BWL gear

Those that were Uber Raiders had Naxx gear
    You don't understand the problem

10+ Year Old Account
    No they're not.

They're only squishing the content up to leveling prior to WoD. After that we'll still see exponential increases in power as raid tiers are released and new expansions come out. 3 or 4 expansions from now might result in another squish (or probably removal of previous expansions completely) to compensate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post

That would be true if relative power against the monsters changed, but that's not the case. If you do 10% of your damage against a Gulp Frog with one builder you will still do 10% dmg to that same gulp frog. In fact, you are keeping 100% of your relative power that you today, it will just be smaller numbers, but monsters also have smaller numbers. Go figure, using your brain!

Same power with a fraction of the numbers we have now. It's not rocket science to understand. Your not less powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    You don't understand the problem
    I know in WoD friends with varying gear levels will all be relevant and will have the ability to play together. I have friends who I play with that just quest. How fun is it for them when the raiders are one shotting everything before they can attack it.

The stat squish is such a good thing for the game. I was pretty happy when I saw the squish bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't agree at all and I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. This isn't a nerf at all - leveling will no longer be this disjointed process of variable item level gains. The current level of gear and stats is out of control. I started this expansion leaving Cata doing 50k dps (already huge compared to the usual 8 - 10k in Wrath) to 400k today. Continuing like that I'd be reaching over a million or more at the start of WoD. Tanks? 4k in classic, 8 - 10k in TBC, 40k in Wrath, 200k in Cata, and 1.2 million in MoP. See where those numbers are going? This is needed. Every tier and every expansion needs a larger and larger increase in power to feel like you're actually increasing in power.
    But what's the inherent problem ? I see what you're describing, but not how it's "needed" to be fixed. Yes, there are some coding issues that make the big numbers a problem, but that's an issue with the coding and not with the numbers inherently. They've said they can fix the underlying coding issue. Once they do that, Blizz's own argument for the squish becomes invalid, and the only argument left is that people simply don't like the aesthetic of the big numbers.

Either they will do a squish every 2/3 expansions, or they will have to address the coding ... which will preclude the need for further squishes. Seems pretty obvious what the better time investment is -- complete fix or regular bandaids.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

"I finally realized the reason I quit wow was because of the item squish." - Some guy at some point in time.

I think it makes sense. Numbers are getting out of control. Leveling will be a smoother process. They've said they're going to keep relative power levels where they are, just with smaller numbers. Makes my brain hurt less.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Each time a new expansion is released they need to squish the previous one from now on. That way another major one like this won't have to happen again.

The big numbers have nothing to do with being powerful. Its their relation to the enemy your killing. That relation is not changing, just the number. So there really is no difference at all just a cosmetic number difference.

MAN i LOVE THIS...This just made my day.. Squish looks awesome..Now i will 100% come back to wow. Specially with the new squish and CC changes as well as removing some spells and making it similar to as it was in the past. We got to admit , it started getting silly with 1 million health, 500K crits, So many spells, all this CC where healers were taken right out of arena. These changes are whats making me sub back in TODAY!!...Great job

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy about this too. There has to be a point where things don't get too insane and I am glad we're going to start noticing solid and and steady bosses with steady hp with steady damage requirements.

I just wonder how low the hp of the certain bosses will be. Ragnaros was at 1 mil, may 100k instead this time? Who knows, gotta wait and see til beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    I know in WoD friends with varying gear levels will all be relevant and will have the ability to play together. I have friends who I play with that just quest. How fun is it for them when the raiders are one shotting everything before they can attack it.

The stat squish is such a good thing for the game. I was pretty happy when I saw the squish bar.
    Are you talking about ilevel being brought down in dungeons so people can Q with lower levels? There is a separate function for that. Item squish does not do that, it doesn't decrease your power. If you are lv 100 you will 1 shot everything in lower level regardless