Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    Yes, believe it or not but I actually raid hardcore with UIs like this so I always have to let functionality come first.
    Strangely, I think hardcore raiding has less to do with UIs than medium level or casual raiding. At hardcore level you've practiced your rotation into muscle memory, you've done the encounters so many times that you've learnt most of the cues you're responding to from the 3D world, or just remembering the timings. Your raid is communicating changes to the situation on Ventrilo/TeamSpeak. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    Strangely, I think hardcore raiding has less to do with UIs than medium level or casual raiding. At hardcore level you've practiced your rotation into muscle memory, you've done the encounters so many times that you've learnt most of the cues you're responding to from the 3D world, or just remembering the timings. Your raid is communicating changes to the situation on Ventrilo/TeamSpeak. etc.
    I wouldn't say anything is lesser than the other. If you (as a casual or hardcore raider) want to perform at your absolute best then a functional UI is a necessity.

I was mostly referring to the fact that hardcore raiding have less room for failure than say LFR. No intention to start a hardcore vs casual discussion

Deleted
    Might give it a shot.
    I'm just so used to my UI that when seeing some of the more artistic ones I am for one at awe, and on the other hand always wondering how it would feel in a raid.

I wouldn't say anything is lesser than the other. If you (as a casual or hardcore raider) want to perform at your absolute best then a functional UI is a necessity.

I was mostly referring to the fact that hardcore raiding have less room for failure than say LFR. No intention to start a hardcore vs casual discussion
    I thought the definition of functional was what was being discussed. My point is that you can train yourself out of needing certain UI elements. You practice to improve your performance, and the side effect is that you use/read certain UI elements less.
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-03-01 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    I thought the definition of functional was what was being discussed. My point is that you can train yourself out of needing certain UI elements. You practice to improve your performance, and the side effect is that you use/read certain UI elements less.
    I think the UI needs change, rather than become lessened. Practicing a rotation into muscle memory removes the need for, say, action bars but I find that the more hardcore the raiding you do, the more specific and specialized your UI needs become to coax out that tiny bit of extra DPS/HPS that doesn't much matter with more forgiving enrage timers or heal checks.

Personally, I think the difference between playing at the very highest level and playing at a so-so level comes down to research and UI, rather than something like quicker twitch reaction. Unlike a game like, say, Counterstrike (at least, so I imagine from what I've heard...I'm not a CS player), WoW is designed to mitigate against the need for amazing reaction time, both due to the GCD and due to how encounter mechanics work. Raiding is all about splitting your focus effectively and making decisions with up to a minute of a look-ahead...I believe that you best achieve that through practice and a very clear and focused UI, which takes some effort and either good design skill or else a lot of trial and error.

Of course, I also value aesthetics, which adds a complicating factor. Often, optimal functionality and the most attractive design are at odds and balancing the two (biased towards functionality) is a real challenge, IMO.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Deleted
    Kaytemoss, thank you so much for you reply!

I agree with everything you say concerning the player unit frames. They don't provide much useful information, apart from my mana.

Concerning target frames. I can see how it would look like there's a lot of space above my unit frames, giving a good opportunity to copy Jhazrun. However, this is the palce where i keep two weak auras for Harmony and the Legendary cloak proc. I suppose it's my fault for not providing a proper screenshot, but anyhow.

I do indeed use mouseover macros, so i suppose you do mention something about that. However the reason I posted here is simply because I have no idea where to put the damn thing, and was looking for ideas.

Again, thanks a lot for you awesome post!
    Last edited by mmoc9e29feec05; 2014-03-04 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Completely off-topic, but what the hell. This screenshot has two of my guildies in it! Lae, and Mycil.

Your UI looks great btw.
    Thanks! - Funny coincidence, I just went and did a LFR to take a Screenshot

Deleted
    Ok, here we go..

Out of combat

Infight:

Main addons contain:
    Chatter
    Bartender4
    Weak Auras
    SuF
    TipTac
    Sexymap
    Titanpanel
    Grid
    Skada

Let me hear what you guys think
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2014-03-03 at 10:24 AM.

Trying out a different bar style for my timers, I don't know if I like it or not.
    http://i.cubeupload.com/mLqvcY.png

Dot timers are basically a copy of Kait's. Wish I could create UIs as flashy as his

Deleted

Dot timers are basically a copy of Kait's. Wish I could create UIs as flashy as his
    Let me be your #1 fan dude, these look absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromus View Post
    Thanks for the tips

I'm using Shadowed Unit Frames at present

Whats the popularist chat addon? I currently use prat, assumed they are all in and around the same, but if something is better and or more efficent, holla
    Sorry I haven't checked back

I have always loved Chatter. I find it just suits me and provides everything I need. I haven't used Prat in a while, but I like that Chatter has options like making a sound when someone types my name (or any word in particular) in chat, alt-click inviting people, setting up main and offspecs in your guild, etc. It's really good too if you're like me and like to hide the ugly chat tabs.

Mine is basically this:

dps solo:

tank on 25m (for some reason I didn't have the mob targeted)

dps on 40m raid

healer on 25m test

I still need to make some small textures like a texture for the pet frame.

Yeh, it's pretty much elvUI with textures made by me, all those fancy "fantasy" stuff are custom made, then I imported them with KGpanels. Those "HUDs" in the middle are made with weak auras. They are basically the tracking of important monk stuff like Chi, energy, procs, brew stacks, brew buff durations etc.
    Last edited by eflow; 2014-03-03 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eflow View Post
    Mine is basically this:

dps solo:
    http://i.imgur.com/UiWJHeG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QgHaJHE.jpg

dps on 40m raid
    http://i.imgur.com/YuHVlRh.jpg

healer on 25m test
    http://i.imgur.com/mXSgd8v.jpg

Yeh, it's pretty much elvUI with textures made by me, all those fancy "fantasy" stuff are custom made, them I imported them with KGpanels. Those "HUDs" in the middle are made with weak auras. They are basically the tracking of important monk stuff like Chi, energy, procs, brew stacks, brew buff durations etc.
    Nice to see something a little different even if it is still Elv :P
    Nice textures / panelling.

mine is basically this:

Dps solo:

tank on 25m (for some reason i didn't have the mob targeted)

dps on 40m raid

healer on 25m test

i still need to make some small textures like a texture for the pet frame.

Yeh, it's pretty much elvui with textures made by me, all those fancy "fantasy" stuff are custom made, them i imported them with kgpanels. Those "huds" in the middle are made with weak auras. They are basically the tracking of important monk stuff like chi, energy, procs, brew stacks, brew buff durations etc.
    oh gawd please please share!

Deleted
    That Xuen themed UI is proof that ElvUI is awesome.

I wanna do a druid themed UI, but I aint that great at graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVanir View Post
    Let me be your #1 fan dude, these look absolutely amazing.
    Haha, just don't stalk me irl please...

Mine is basically this:
    Great job, it looks like a lot of effort was put into this UI. I particularly love the thing you've got going in the middle!

Deleted
    Mine is basically this:

dps solo:

dps on 40m raid

healer on 25m test

Yeh, it's pretty much elvUI with textures made by me, all those fancy "fantasy" stuff are custom made, then I imported them with KGpanels. Those "HUDs" in the middle are made with weak auras. They are basically the tracking of important monk stuff like Chi, energy, procs, brew stacks, brew buff durations etc.
    Really unique, love this kind of work.

ok, I fixed the pet frames ...

while I'm at it, might as well make one for each class that have a pet (and I actually play it) =o