Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotFunny008 View Post
    May be you should just save yourself $15 a month and spend it on something you enjoy!
    So because I have problems in PvP I should stop playing the entire game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    As a horde warlock who's getting back into some PVP I have no issues.

Of course, I can also figure out how to play in PVP.
    Said the warlock to the resto shaman. Maybe you could try posting constructively?

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    So not only do I stand no chance against the CC, but I'm always gonna be everyone's focus becuase of my class choice? Absolutely wonderful... Thanks Blizz.

Well it sucks in random BGs, but yes. Organized teams, or just those with more skilled/experienced players, will do their best to peel and protect you. There is a VERY steep learning curve for PVP in this game, but it does get better. You are always going to have really bad games if you solo queue into random BGs (particularly Alliance)..that never goes away, but maybe find someone else at your level of experience and play 2's for a while? Should get you used to mechanics of different classes without having 5 people beating/CCing you into oblivion at the same time.

I've tried a bit of Ele as well and I felt the same issues as when I'm Resto. There seems to be a LOT of focus on me that I simply cannot shake and get rid off, I have no window to act becuase the CC keeps be incapacitated and unable to do anything but hope to push out some instant casts before the next CC hits me.
    Hrm. I havent really had a problem being focused in BG's. They usually ignore me and let me go all sith on their ass. When you get focused/CC'd use your astral shift and thunderstorm and run away.

Think of it like this. You are basically a mage without all the fancy "getting away from the owies" abilities mages have. So play far, try to hide, and let the good times roll.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Play a blood dk in some pvp gear. You will never die.

I pvp as an ele shaman. In BG (both rated and unrated) its amazing, most ppl just let me free cast all day while trying to kill healers. In arena they all focus me (I play 2's with a ww monk and 3s adding a frost DK) and I just run around as a dog while my teammates punch the back of their skulls in.

Its def a learning curve, but its really really fun once you figure out how to stay alive.
    I've tried a bit of Ele as well and I felt the same issues as when I'm Resto. There seems to be a LOT of focus on me that I simply cannot shake and get rid off, I have no window to act becuase the CC keeps be incapacitated and unable to do anything but hope to push out some instant casts before the next CC hits me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Well it sucks in random BGs, but yes. Organized teams, or just those with more skilled/experienced players, will do their best to peel and protect you. There is a VERY steep learning curve for PVP in this game, but it does get better. You are always going to have really bad games if you solo queue into random BGs (particularly Alliance)..that never goes away, but maybe find someone else at your level of experience and play 2's for a while? Should get you used to mechanics of different classes without having 5 people beating/CCing you into oblivion at the same time.

Yeah it seems like the class I'm playing needs a bit of babysitting. Which is regretable.
    Nah, I'm afraid arena might feel even more frustrating x) I might be too much of solo player. I play things when I feel like them, so to speak, rather fickle in what I want to do.

This thread is a lot of unnecessary/untrue class whine.

From a primarily PvP healer who has had some success, the by far best (and possibly only good) advice in this thread is to try to stay behind your team and use cooldowns liberally. if you break their momentum for 15s while they tunnel you, and if the two sides are otherwise evenly matched in numbers and skill, you will start getting peels as your allies finish what they are doing and get on the guys that are on you, who are by virtue of you not standing in front, behind your lines and separated from their allies, and thus an easy target.

Once you get good and a little geared (2-3 seasons behind is good enough gear, if you are a good enough player in fact), then your main concern will just be 'am I playing with people who can get kills', because a really skilled healer will make his allies near impossible to kill, so as long as your allies are aggressive enough and can do damage, you will win most fights. Once you get even better (say mid/ rival in arerna and gear within last season or so of current gear) you can more or less expect to go through the majority of random BGs with one, two or no deaths.

That's not to say you'll win them all, retards still won't go cap flags, still won't go and return your flag so you can cap it when you're holding it, so you will still lose, but you won't die much/at all and your team will dominate the scoreboard for kills *if* you can get yourself into the majority of the fights (smaller BGs like WSG/twin peaks/gilneas and the new ones are excellent for this).

Remember the most important fight in those small BGs is the very first one, blow all your CDs in the first minute when the two sides crash, if you save 3 lives in the first 30 seconds while the enemy team loses their 3, you will crush the first fight due to numbers while those first few enemies respawn, then the enemy will come back splintered as the spawn timer won't sync up, crush them again, basically their morale is ruined and they won't even try any more.

Oh, and if you get stuck with a team of useless DPS that don't know how to attack, or 3-4 of them attack in fight #1 and the rest hang back so you get chewed up, then your team loses the morale and you are absolutely screwed. No amount of healing will fix that as it doesnt matter if you could keep them alive for several minutes while they panic cry and run in circles. That's a really frustrating experience in BGs.

edit: One other thing, players go for easy kills every time, not necessarily smart ones. In that initial crash, they will usually gravitate towards the ones with lowest % health as that is their interpretation of easy. Usually the fight starts with a few bursts by the first DPS to arrive on 2-3 players for say 30% of their health, and then the rest of the DPS follows that lead to choose their target. This is why it is absolutely critical to blow all your CDs liberally in that first fight - if you get those 30% healthers back up to 95 almost instantly, the rest of the DPS will lose their direction and not necessarily follow in to focus those targets. There is hesitation and all that which slows down their burst, which is nice, but more importantly, they will end up spreading their DPS over more players because they wont identify the targets, which means more of said players self heals running, and those players will all be using their own kiting abilities and defensives, and it gives you much higher response time and the ability to AOE heal or roll HOTs etc rather than having to just bomb heals that can be relatively low HPS especially while trying to juke some DPS that was smart enough to actually get on you.
    Last edited by Nereth; 2014-03-01 at 08:01 PM.

There was another thread where folks suggested grinding random heroics and converting justice points to honor for ~1,500 Honor per hour. That's a lot of gear really fast and a nice way to break a frustrating streak of rough BG's. I definitely recommend trying that.

Ignore the players acting like this is somehow a skill issue. From someone who has geared up pvp alts multiple times, healer or not, I can say for sure that it's not.

It's probably my biggest gripe with PvP in this game. There is absolutely zero fun unless you are geared enough, and then you're no longer in BGs anyway. It's such an idiotically reversed system and it leads to the entire thing being too much of a pain in the ass for new players to even bother with most of the time.

In a PvP setting I find it absurd that there can be such a massive power difference between two players of the same level that one can quite literally target and instant-kill the other player without missing a beat. The WoW BG system is a complete wreck and needs some drastic changes that Blizz is probably never going to care enough to do.

To add to the serious advice: Do Tol Barad/Wintergrasp every time you have the chance. Also do the Isle of Thunder PvP dailies (it's 10-15m work and gives 525 honor), also kill the three rares in Krasarang Wilds every day, that's another 825 honor. Except for Tol Barad/Wintergrasp, they can all be completed without seeing a single enemy player.

When queuing as healer(especially ones easily caught unlike monk/druid) in random BGs, it's all but required to bring along at least one friend to peel(and preferably a class good at it). It's just the nature of the insane, absolutely ridiculous amount of CC right now. So I recommend either arena or bringing friends along!

Its not that there is so much CC available, its the DR and DR catagories that was the issue - having so many different types. You can have a million CC spells, b ut if they all share the same DR, you never really have too much CC spells if that makes.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like WoW PvP. It's too hectic. There are too many players on screen and too much to worry about - cc, interrupts, debuffs, cooldowns, teammates helping/not helping you, objectives. Warsong Gulch is about the only thing I can stand because the objective is simple and the player count is relatively low. It is so rare in BG's that you get any kind of fair scenario. It always seems to be one group being overrun by a huge group. It's never anything interesting or fun like 1v1 or 2v2. On top of that, you have to communicate or be lucky to do well in unrated BG's and getting people to listen or coordinate is often very difficult. Dur, do rated ones, obv! That's the response I know people are dying to say. No thanks. The PvP is not that engaging. It's okay to bullshit around in once every blue moon, but I don't care that much. If I'd want to try anything, it'd be arenas, but I don't know people and I don't really care to schedule for it. I also find the idea of queuing up just to fight for 5 minutes boring. In FPS games, I like to have fun, to run around for 15 minutes shooting people, not to be given tiny bites of entertainment where I can fight for a few minutes before being thrown back in a queue, more often than not being left feeling unsatisfied.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    IMO only good thing about pvp in wow is some nice transmog sets. In fact i'm waiting for krasarang rare spawns atm for honor. I've removed pvp button from my bars long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditian View Post
    They shouldn't downscale the gear of players. They should add a minimum item level in order to queue for battlegrounds. About the same as Heroic Dungeons. If you're too poor/lazy to craft/farm (PvP) gear, you shouldn't do PvP. It's really frustrating to see 2-3 people in your team in greens, with only 300k health. Especially around new seasons people tend to do this.

Crafted gear is only about 2-3k gold, even if you don't farm gold, you easily have 4-5k gold after buying epic flying when you ding 90. There's no excuse.

Edit: I'm very happy they're cutting back on sockets on gear. It's so sad to see people in LFR/random battlegrounds without gems/enchants. Gems are only 20-30g each and really do help a lot. Enchants are of course a little more expensive, they tend to be between 20-150g, except for weapon enchants.
    It's really frustrating doing BGs with 300k health, but tell me, why the hell would I buy full crafted gear for 3k gold when I can just sit AFK in BGs and get a full set in 2-3 days? Whether I have the gold or not is largely irrelevant, it's a complete waste of time and energy to get the gear when I can just sit in a BG and do something on my other monitor waiting for the game to finish. I was gearing my Resto Shaman last week before the season started, I had questing/leveling gear, some Cata gear still, think I had 3 pieces of 378 ilvl from Cata, I had about 340k health and was virtually useless. My heals did absolutely nothing and I died instantly. But why would I waste 3k gold on crafted gear that's going to be replaced in a couple of days?

And even more so with gems/enchants. Gemming/enchanting a full set of gear costs around 3k gold as well, so that's 6k gold on crafted gear, and another 3k on actual honor gear, then 3k more on conquest gear. Seems like lots of wasted gold when I could instead just spend 3k on my Conquest gear.

Also I rarely have gems/enchants in BGs because I usually wait until I have my full set until I buy gems/enchants, I'll just sit next to the PvP vendors buying my gear until I'm fully geared, and then go gem/enchant all of it at once. Other people probably do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    It's really frustrating doing BGs with 300k health, but tell me, why the hell would I buy full crafted gear for 3k gold when I can just sit AFK in BGs and get a full set in 2-3 days?
    Here's your answer: you're an asshole. Even people with 300k can be useful, even if they're just giving intel and throwing a CC once in a while. People who AFK to their whole PvP set should be banned. They won't be missed by anyone.

Whether I have the gold or not is largely irrelevant, it's a complete waste of time and energy to get the gear when I can just sit in a BG and do something on my other monitor waiting for the game to finish. I was gearing my Resto Shaman last week before the season started, I had questing/leveling gear, some Cata gear still, think I had 3 pieces of 378 ilvl from Cata, I had about 340k health and was virtually useless. My heals did absolutely nothing and I died instantly. But why would I waste 3k gold on crafted gear that's going to be replaced in a couple of days?

And even more so with gems/enchants. Gemming/enchanting a full set of gear costs around 3k gold as well, so that's 6k gold on crafted gear, and another 3k on actual honor gear, then 3k more on conquest gear. Seems like lots of wasted gold when I could instead just spend 3k on my Conquest gear.

Also I rarely have gems/enchants in BGs because I usually wait until I have my full set until I buy gems/enchants, I'll just sit next to the PvP vendors buying my gear until I'm fully geared, and then go gem/enchant all of it at once. Other people probably do as well.
    That's the thing, with the incoming expansion, crafted gear will be the best gear to have before you go into arena/rated battlegrounds. Sure, you can afk through there as well, but at least you have a pre-made team there, so you won't bother anyone with your foul play style except for the person who agreed to team up with you.

If you're seriously too lazy to gem your newest gear instantly, instead of waiting for your full set, you're hopeless and it's a waste of time to tell you this (but I did anyway).

It's really frustrating doing BGs with 300k health, but tell me, why the hell would I buy full crafted gear for 3k gold when I can just sit AFK in BGs and get a full set in 2-3 days? Whether I have the gold or not is largely irrelevant, it's a complete waste of time and energy to get the gear when I can just sit in a BG and do something on my other monitor waiting for the game to finish. I was gearing my Resto Shaman last week before the season started, I had questing/leveling gear, some Cata gear still, think I had 3 pieces of 378 ilvl from Cata, I had about 340k health and was virtually useless. My heals did absolutely nothing and I died instantly. But why would I waste 3k gold on crafted gear that's going to be replaced in a couple of days?

You're basically the kind of deadbeat sponge that ruins the game for people.

Deleted
    So not only do I stand no chance against the CC, but I'm always gonna be everyone's focus becuase of my class choice? Absolutely wonderful... Thanks Blizz.
    You'd love playing a ret paladin.

World of Cooldowns and Stuncraft =(

Hopefully the removal of many CC spells in WoD will make these things go away a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    Ignore the players acting like this is somehow a skill issue. From someone who has geared up pvp alts multiple times, healer or not, I can say for sure that it's not.

It's probably my biggest gripe with PvP in this game. There is absolutely zero fun unless you are geared enough, and then you're no longer in BGs anyway. It's such an idiotically reversed system and it leads to the entire thing being too much of a pain in the ass for new players to even bother with most of the time.

In a PvP setting I find it absurd that there can be such a massive power difference between two players of the same level that one can quite literally target and instant-kill the other player without missing a beat. The WoW BG system is a complete wreck and needs some drastic changes that Blizz is probably never going to care enough to do.
    And I can 'say for sure' that skill really does play into it (which isn't to say gear doesn't, but just that if you play right you can overcome a lot of it), except I have objective proof. a few months ago I dinged a hpally to 90, and I haven't played hpally except a few months in cata. I am *not* a hpally like I am my main healer. I had about 270k HP and I didn't have a weapon or shield because one never dropped while I was leveling. I still achieved perhaps half the average deaths of my team while getting first or second on healing and winning 80% of team fights due to knowing how to heal and use utility spells. Died very quickly once 2-3 people were on me, but had things like freedom-sprint so that they would have to be pretty determined to actually *get* on me. usually we killed them first.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditian View Post
    Here's your answer: you're an asshole. Even people with 300k can be useful, even if they're just giving intel and throwing a CC once in a while. People who AFK to their whole PvP set should be banned. They won't be missed by anyone.

That's the thing, with the incoming expansion, crafted gear will be the best gear to have before you go into arena/rated battlegrounds. Sure, you can afk through there as well, but at least you have a pre-made team there, so you won't bother anyone with your foul play style except for the person who agreed to team up with you.

If you're seriously too lazy to gem your newest gear instantly, instead of waiting for your full set, you're hopeless and it's a waste of time to tell you this (but I did anyway).
    Can't help but notice you didn't answer my question.

I asked why I should bother gearing/gemming/enchanting before I do random BGs, when I can do random BGs with no gear/gems/enchants and get the same amount of honor just as fast. And you didn't give me an answer. Random BGs aren't fun. On characters where I have full gear they still aren't fun. There's literally nothing fun about playing an incredibly boring BG with random people that have no idea what they're doing. If I'm not gonna have fun anyway, what's the sense in sinking thousands of gold into it first?

And as for the next expansion, you're quite wrong. The season starts 1-2 weeks after the expansion comes out, which gives you time to get full honor gear. Getting the (incredibly overpriced beginning of expansion) crafted gear is not worth it at all, even less worth it actually because it'll probably be 1000g+ per piece, compared to AFKing BGs for free and getting better gear anyway.

Currently the fastest way to get honor is in random heroics, which is easy enough, but with the start of the expansion that won't be the same, so it just increases the likelihood of AFKing through BGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    PVP is the worst it's been in years (there are times it's been worse, but it's never been this bad for such an extended period of time).

It's currently imho the #1 worst MMO in terms of PVP balance.

Rift PVP is notorious for being bad, and even that is not nearly as horrid as WoW's PVP currently is.