Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No thanks go play some guild wars. Sandboxes are boring as fuck.

Player Power is a very important part of the game.
    I for 1 dont think a fresh starter should be as powerful as I am right off the bat.

This isnt GTA....

Leveling a character might not be the funniest thing you have ever done. But when you say you dont want to change the entire game, I just ask myself... Why did you write this game changing post?
    This would never happen, so all the energy you wasted to write this is silly. Would make things way to trivial and easy.. The game would simply run out of content for you to do, and it already kind of is for some players.
    Dont make things easy just because we have some lazy players.

I'm lazy myself, but I completely disagree with this.

nope, i like it the way it is now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdlock View Post
    Why did you write this game changing post?
    This was never about changing the game. It was a sociological experiment. When an idea is bad, 10k people will run in here and tell you it is bad. Since there are barely 3 pages here, and some of them even agree with me, it only really goes to show how many people don' really pay attention. But, if I say I am selling gear in the store... 100k people outraged. Try to change the base of the game entirely, 4 people with protest signs...lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    these are not the warcrafts you are looking for
    Agreed hahaha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    Don't you realize that leveling is the primary and most fundamental way of character progression?
    Thats why they give free 90 for everyone?

Leveling is just boring punishment, its not fun and everyone if asked would skip it if possible (maine reason behind the $60 cost, else everyone would simple pay to skip it). Do you imagine? PAY to skip it, its THAT boring.

It just doesnt fit the current games meta anymore, the game is based on end-game, leveling just slows everything down FOR NO REASON.

Levels splits community, separates friends and guilds, its bad and flawed mechanism, it works in single player games, but not in MMOs. Once again, it doesnt add ANYTHING to the game, the 90% of "getting stronger" part is done via gear, levels are not needed anymore.
    Last edited by mmoc1561bc551c; 2014-03-03 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    Thats why they give free 90 for everyone?

Leveling is just boring punishment, its not fun and everyone if asked would skip it if possible (maine reason behind the $60 cost, else everyone would simple pay to skip it). Do you imagine? PAY to skip it, its THAT boring.

It just doesnt fit the current games meta anymore, the game is based on end-game, leveling just slows everything down FOR NO REASON.

Levels splits community, separates friends and guilds, its bad and flawed mechanism, it works in single player games, but not in MMOs. Once again, it doesnt add ANYTHING to the game, the 90% of "getting stronger" part is done via gear, levels are not needed anymore.
    You're wrong, leveling is more important in multiplayer games than in singleplayer.

There NEEDs to be division in multiplayer, so people can see themselves progress compared to others. We aren't all equal players, and having it perpetually seem that way is awful

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    This was never about changing the game. It was a sociological experiment. When an idea is bad, 10k people will run in here and tell you it is bad. Since there are barely 3 pages here, and some of them even agree with me, it only really goes to show how many people don' really pay attention. But, if I say I am selling gear in the store... 100k people outraged. Try to change the base of the game entirely, 4 people with protest signs...lol

or maybe people cba to even respond to your posts anymore?

like i said before not too bad of a idea but its not for wow. could prob work for a diff game

@ Fleugen when i say sandbox I mean you can shape terrain and alot of "smart" npcs from the vid they put out. Worth a look at, at the very least
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

I've got it figured out. Remove character levels and gear stats. I know, sounds crazy right? Well then, let me explain.

Everyone interested in buying a boost is willing to do so because they hate leveling. Others who love leveling, may be getting tired of the linear content and design. I say, SANDBOX. Are you a new character? Would you rather jump right into current content? Perfect. Head for the new zone, and do some questing to get your experience. Once you are comfortable with your class, and each of your spells, go see your local Itemizer. The Itemizer will tell you which items in your gear can be socketed, and gemmed, which can be enchanted, and which can be enhanced with additional armor.

Everything works on base stats. You, mobs, bosses. The only thing that changes is the number. If a mob has a number on it, that it the number of characters it actually takes to defeat it. If you enter in normal mode, it requires 10. In Heroic, 25. In Flex, the number will scale to meet the size of your group and the boss' power adjusts accordingly. Depending on your modifications only will determine how likely you are to succeed when working as a team.

Dungeon difficulty will adjust from 1-5 in normal and heroic mode. Of course, a 3 person heroic will be more technical than a 3 person normal. A solo dungeon will still pose a challenge, but NPCs will not be elites in normal dungeons, thus removing their more difficult rating. This means you can still solo older content in dungeons and raids for transmogs and they will scale to hit your level, or slightly above for a challenge.

This is the same as scaling content to match lvl 90s in Elwynn or lvl 1s in Pandaria. Every bit of the technical difficulty would still exist, but in this sandbox environment, you could go anywhere, do anything, quest with anyone. Experience bars would be converted to wisdom bars. The more content you complete, the more wisdom you gain. Wisdom is then converted to currency and provides you access to things you would have previously purchased with HP/JP/VP/CP.

You would still have to earn the gold to pay for respeccing, for flying, for itemizing. Professions would remain unchanged as would classes. You would still have to go to outlands to get cloth to level First Aid, or go to Dalaran for your JC Dailies. The only thing we are doing is changing the order in which you do things. You wanna start in Northrend and end in Silithus? Go for it. This sandbox element would make the content feel far different than it had in the past.

For those who just want to farm an area (ex - 90s farming rep at Timbermaw hold with 1 shotting mobs), you can simply toggle your wisdom to 5x. This means you hit 5 times harder than you normally do while content is scaled. Once you leave that zone, you are reverted back to normal. It may just be me, but something like THIS would keep me from buying a boost to 90 and allow me to jump right in wherever I like.
    Worst Idea EVER! Why do you even bother posting these?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    Worst Idea EVER! Why do you even bother posting these?
    Well, if you must know, it is because I grow tired of the same boring arguments on the front page, and love to make a splash

I think that this is a horrible idea. I do not mean to hurt your feelings, but I don't know how else to describe it. It's as if you either have never played a role-playing game before, or don't want World of WarCraft to be one.

You want to remove two of the basic concepts of role-playing games... in a role-playing game. This is illogical. It's like asking to remove combos from Tekken, or projectile-firing weapons from Doom. It will not be the same game. And while you may like the prospect, and some players focused on endgame content agree with you, the vast majority of the game's community has shown to appreciate the game's role-playing nature. It is what made it the success it is.

Levelling and gear acquisition help do a number of things. First of all they create the sense of improvement, and the incentive to keep going, to get even better. This is crucial for a game that aims to keep people playing for a long, continuous period of time. Endgame-centered players, and endgame-brain-washed ones, may not like it, or remember it, but while levelling was at its longest during classic, the game's community was at its happiest. It took months for the average player to reach the level-cap, if they ever did so; months. And other than the players mentioned, almost nobody complained; on the contrary, they enjoyed the adventure.

Levelling is not supposed to be the arbitrary burden before the fun of... grinding commences at the endgame. In a role-playing game it's most of the content, and the most fun usually: the adventure is that matters, not the reward at the end.

WoW has been twisted quite a lot to a battle-arena game, with emphasis on focused content, mostly in instances, because it is easier and cheaper to develop for. That doesn't mean it is the right way to go. On the contrary, looking at the immense success of open-world games with role-playing elements such as Zelda, Grand Theft Auto, Yakuza, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout, and The Elder Scrolls; looking at WoW's own success when it was an open-world game, where there were multiple main campaigns to undertake, and almost forty, current, zones to play in; and juxtaposing it with the current state of the game, the seemingly endless boredom prevalent and the feeling that all is a routine; it's quite obvious what works and what doesn't. And you haven't even thought of that.

You think of questing as an "appetizer" to the main course that is dungeon-running. You are wrong. This is not Diablo. In this type of game dungeon-running is the occasional activity a player undertakes. Open World Role-Playing Game. Open world = exploration - Role-playing = questing.

It's that simple. And what is more, it works. It worked for this very game when it was released. It was the happiest time in the game's community; other than a few endgame-centered and performance-obsessed players, most of everyone was having a great time; even with an unfinished, at times even broken game. It works in general as well: the games I mentioned are huge, both critically and commercially. Skyrim has surpassed 12 million copies sold, even with piracy being so widespread.

There is nothing wrong with the formula of the genre; it works wonders, when handled right. And that is the problem with this game. It's handled like crap. Not because of the developers in my opinion. They just do the best they can with what they got, including directives, and they do quite good; the problem lies with the people in charge that try to milk this game dry because that's what they know how to do. And they come up with similar ideas: inspirations that show that they don't know much about role-playing games and why each of their elements works as it does.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2014-03-03 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I'm a pvper so I would love to jump straight into full gear, everything else seems kinda weird though.
    You see, this is why MMORPGs are bad PvP games. A core part of RPGs are gear acquisition and character improvement which means PvP is never starting from a level playing field.

That is why I play on a PvE server and subscribe to a pure PvP game as well for my PvP satisfaction.

I's like this from a PvP perspective. I almost hate PvP nowadays because every time I get a little behind with gearing, I turn into honor food for a great group of people who have already geared their players. I play a ton of alts, and being able to to competitive PvP on any of them is nearly impossible what with the time investment required to fully gear a character. I'm not saying I want my gear given to me, I'm just saying that the current system is arduous, and that I'm tired of getting beaten by crap players with better gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a legit idea. flatten everything. Nothing ever goes out of date. Leveling sucks anyway.

Having bad ideas is OK, it's this trying to talk your way out of it afterwards what's making you look stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Having bad ideas is OK, it's this trying to talk your way out of it afterwards what's making you look stupid.
    I've denied nothing. Nor have I acknowledged this was a bad idea. This idea was fun to conceptualize, and even more fun to drop on page one. I was just amused by how little attention something of this magnitude actually received. As for looking stupid, I leave that to people who just jump into threads, contribute nothing to the topic at hand, and base their entire comment on an insult. I know... the irony.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    Don't you realize that leveling is the primary and most fundamental way of character progression? There is a reason we have yet to have an expansion that excludes leveling.

One of the characteristics of MMOs is that they have grindy features. Leveling is the most basic of them and contrary to what people seem to forget, endgame is NOT why MMOs are successful.
    Then why is 90% of wow the endgame? Levelling is quite frankly completely irrelevant and the majority of the meaningful progression in WoW is through gear at max level. As for MMO's having grindy features, that's not a selling point of the genre it's one of the genre's biggest flaws. Why do you think MMO's have never made it into the mainstream gaming market despite people's love of multiplayer?

Removing levelling would allow other more flexible means of progression to take centre-stage, and getting rid of the grind would actually give an MMO the chance to become more mainstream.

Well, if you must know, it is because I grow tired of the same boring arguments on the front page, and love to make a splash
    AKA Troll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    There NEEDs to be division in multiplayer, so people can see themselves progress compared to others.
    And they still would, gear=progress without separating the population.

If there was no levels there would be:
    - bigger pool of players to raid with
    - more arena / rbg players to choose from
    - more action in end game zones

So many pros, yet no cons