Thread: BM Pet Control

BM Pet Control

What does it mean exactly? I've got my pet on passive and use a pet attack macro with BW and KC but is that enough? I''ve watched streams of BM hunters and can't see exactly where the use move command like i've heard is required. Also, wouldnt pet AI disregard that anyways because it always wants to be behind the boss?

The fight that comes to mind would be like garrosh, when adds get to middle if were stacking + have a weapon spawn + garrosh all need to be damaged. So in this situation, my pet would be out of beast cleave range, right? unless it was a really tight stack i suppose.. How would I fix this to get most DPS out of my pet? Use KC on boss and otherwise have him attack onto the adds for beastcleave? Any other help would be great with how to better position my pet as apparently its a big deal.. I'd kind of like to master it

You should ideally have a separate keybind for /petattack and /petfollow. /petattack is used very often to position your pet properly for optimal Beast Cleave as well as simply making sure it's on the correct target and not running all over the place when you swap targets.

What I do is tie /petattack with kill command in a macro:
    #showtooltip Kill Command
    /petattack
    /cast Kill Command

On a separate macro I have pet movement function:
    /petfollow [nomod]
    /petmoveto [mod:shift]

With these 2 macros you pretty much have all the pet movement covered.
    You could go crazy and tie pet heal and such to the macro if you want.

If you have a razor naga it is really easy to bind them to a few of the keys, thats what I do at least.

I understand how to move my pet, and I do use macros, my question was more about in what situation and if you can actually keep your pet in one place? With the way pet AI works, if I move my pet to be able to be in range of beast cleave attacks, wouldn't he just run away to the back of the boss when he got in position? I hear about opitimizing how to move your pet but with no guides of this is it just something you have to learn on your own? and if so, how did you go about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    You should ideally have a separate keybind for /petattack and /petfollow. /petattack is used very often to position your pet properly for optimal Beast Cleave as well as simply making sure it's on the correct target and not running all over the place when you swap targets.
    So for example on Heroic Sha, it would be beneficial for me in the situation that a big add spawns to leave my pet on the boss, since they do so quickly, right? And then for small adds I would put him on follow right before they came out to move to me, then target a small add, multi+petattack+BW/KC multi, then when they go back to the boss, and rinse/repeat? I guess I was kind of confused and thought people were using the pet move command which didnt make sense to me sense to me.

In the case of H-Sha, I just don't DPS the big add, as BM. By the time my pet gets back there, it's almost dead, and I've lost massive uptime on the boss. On the other hand, keeping your pet on the boss is ultimately like not even contributing anyways. I suppose if it's up way too long I'll throw a couple of AS at it, but with BM you have to recognize situations which are straight up losses and let other classes which are good with switches deal with it (all assuming you're in a raid group where you're not carrying the mechanics). For the small adds, our tank tanks him 180 degrees opposite of us, so my pet basically just turns around and beast cleaves (I have /petattack macroed into multi-shot, too, since BC is such a big part of our AoE, I want my pet there). I don't think it even needs to blink strike, and the boss is so large that when they die it's almost instantly attacking again.

I use the moveto command in a few specific situations: 1) On H-Immerseus, where we stack near the front of the boss, and my pet runs all the way to nowhere. I deal with the parries for a few seconds so he beast cleave the adds, which are spawning where we are, IE, the front of the boss. 2) On H-Thok. We single tank it, and I MD bats to the tank. Before I do that though, I moveto for my pet to the front of his face so my pet can beastcleave on them. TBH, though, I go SV on H-Immerseus, and the bats aren't a huge part of H-Thok, maybe 10s worth of DPS in a 6 (?) minute fight.

Garrosh the adds are pretty close, it's just a matter of making sure your tanks are facing Garrosh the right way.

Deleted
    ctrl+1, ctrl+2, ctrl+3 by default works great for me. Macroing with attacks is a bad idea if you want to maximize and using separate binds will let you keep the pet on the mob you want as you're saying you're having issues with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    On the other hand, keeping your pet on the boss is ultimately like not even contributing anyways.
    That is definitely not true. If you can kill the add without letting it cast once with your pet on the boss, that is a total group dps gain on the boss, which is something you should always aim for.

More boss dps = easier fight. As long as it doesn't do any harm, that's what you should aim for. (Which is also why you should stop AoEing those small adds and let tanks handle them)

I said that because my heroic group kills the add in about 2.3 seconds without me even switchign to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogolols View Post
    So for example on Heroic Sha, it would be beneficial for me in the situation that a big add spawns to leave my pet on the boss, since they do so quickly, right?
    Yes leave your pet on the boss for the big add because it's going to die before it can even get there to do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogolols View Post
    And then for small adds I would put him on follow right before they came out to move to me, then target a small add, multi+petattack+BW/KC multi, then when they go back to the boss, and rinse/repeat? I guess I was kind of confused and thought people were using the pet move command which didnt make sense to me sense to me.
    pet move is never used and pet follow is only used if you actually need to bring your pet back to you. You shouldn't be using pet follow just for general positioning during combat. For something like Sha Reflections my guild AoE grips them into the boss so you can just Beast Cleave them off the boss but if your guild just leaves then where they come up you'll want to simply use pet attack to send it into the adds to Beast Cleave.

I macro /petattack into KC and Multi and bind /petfollow + /petpassive in their own macro seperately (for fixing Spoils box issues/sometimes Blackfuse belt issues).