Thread: Melee in MoP

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Melee in MoP

Anyone besides me changing to a ranged main in WoD?

Wiping on Immerseus hc as we speak. We usually take him down with no problem. I hate being melee

Already in the process of acquiring my cloak on my warlock. Former ret/prot pally here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindican View Post
    Already in the process of acquiring my cloak on my warlock. Former ret/prot pally here.
    Hah! Same! ;D I just don't see any point in being melee when I can cast on the run too and have all these fun gimmicks + better spell effects.

Probably, unless something magical happens to rogues in the patch notes. Already feel like the most neglected class in WoW and sick to death of being melee in a ranged world, it would be awesome if they could change my stance, but I really doubt they'll be able to.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Still playing melee.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Finally getting to go back to being a tank

Heroic paragons is all I have to say

Quote Originally Posted by Spicycurry View Post
    Heroic paragons is all I have to say
    My ass print is forever imprinted on our guilds bench.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

This game used to be the world of meleecraft, but then they gave ranged instants and the ability to cast and move. In WoD they are removing a lot of that so melee will probably be better again.

10+ Year Old Account
    OT: Not me.

Related topic: The running joke in my guild is "Blizzard Hates Melee". Not an objectively provable fact, sure, but it's felt like more raid mechanics favor ranged than melee. Traditionally, movement-heavy combat has favored melee, but with more classes/specs able to cast on the run, this is less so.

That said: Of the fights in Siege of Orgrimmar 10N, here are the top the average damage causing specs:
    Immersus: Enhancement, Assassination, Feral
    Protectors: Affliction, Shadow, Boomkin
    Norushen: Fire, Survival, BM
    Sha of Pride: Combat, Survival, Fury
    Galakras: Arcane, Elemental, Destro
    Iron Scorpinaut: Survival, Combat, Enhancement
    Twin Shaman: Fire, Combat, Elemental
    General Nazgrim: Fire, Destro, Survival
    Malkorok: Affliction, Survival, BM
    Spoils of Pandaria: Combat, Fury, Frost DK
    Thok: Survival, BM, Affliction
    Siegecrafter Blackfuse: Affliction, Fire, Enhancement
    Paragons of the Klaxxi: Fire, Affliction, Arcane
    Garrosh Mother-Freaking Hellscream: Combat, Destro, Fire

Of the 14 fights, 2 are 3/3 melee, 7 are 3/3 ranged, and the rest are mixed. Yes, this is partly due to some specs being provably better than others in general all-purpose damage (Arms...sigh) but in 6.0 any/all of them could change dramatically. In any event, with melee being at least as good as ranged half the time, I wouldn't reroll.

Oh, and once you look at Heroic values, the number of "mixed" results appears to increase, so there's that.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2014-03-05 at 08:29 PM.

Blizz do seem to suffer from "Cinderfall Syndrome" with a lot of fights being ranged friendly. If the WoD level 100 zone ends up like Timeless Isle *shudder* it's not going to be fun for melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xentronium View Post
    Blizz do seem to suffer from "Cinderfall Syndrome"
    Oh that stupid elemental. Hey warlock, send your Voidwalker to the other side AND HAVE IT STAY THERE! Keep him facing the same direction so I can use more than Heroic Throw!

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    This game used to be the world of meleecraft, but then they gave ranged instants and the ability to cast and move. In WoD they are removing a lot of that so melee will probably be better again.
    Nope. These are the same people that made things the way they are now. Take away melee raid utility, why would anyone ever want melee at all? Can't stand with the healers or anywhere out of the boss hit box. Why have them?

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

That said: Of the fights in Siege of Orgrimmar 10N, here are the top the average damage causing specs:
    SNIP.

Id be more interested in the rankings for damage taken and deaths as damage done is not the issue its the difficulty in keeping melee alive in certain situations and the overall strain on the rest of the group.

This expansion was fairly horrible for melee. It got better in SoO but the damage is well and truley done. There is such a heavy stigma on melee DPS.

Im not changing though, I feel very confident in my position as a melee DPS within our guild and as long as I continue to out perform the others Im not frightened.

That being said, as a Shaman, every single time a ranged DPS quits or is AFK i clench.

Im also thankful im not looking for a guild because I got sick of writing in bold at the top of the app "I AM NOT AN ELE SHAMAN".

What's funny is that the Devs still think this wasn't a melee-unfriendly raiding tier. If gearing wasn't an issue, there's little reason not to take all ranged and drop a healer on almost all fights.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Allowing ranged more movement would be more like making the bosses hit box as big as the room, but not really because melee still must be behind. Fault of PvP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    What's funny is that the Devs still think this wasn't a melee-unfriendly raiding tier. If gearing wasn't an issue, there's little reason not to take all ranged and drop a healer on almost all fights.
    Exactly this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Probably, unless something magical happens to rogues in the patch notes. Already feel like the most neglected class in WoW and sick to death of being melee in a ranged world, it would be awesome if they could change my stance, but I really doubt they'll be able to.
    Gnomes are getting a bump to haste, and a 5% increase to the energy pool

I got into raiding during WOTLK and there wasn't one fight that frustrated me. Heck, I even enjoyed fights that others hated.

A month ago I finally decided to get out of the LFR raiding scene. It just blew me away what a mess some of the fights are like. My blood still boils thinking about the Dark Shamans fight for instance. Then I get chewed out in vent which isn't fun. I ended up quitting raiding on my Rogue and currently toying with raiding on my Mage. I will do a few LFR's to see how it goes before I commit to that.

And on this same note. Whoever is/has been internally testing melee after cata needs fired!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    SNIP.

Id be more interested in the rankings for damage taken and deaths as damage done is not the issue its the difficulty in keeping melee alive in certain situations and the overall strain on the rest of the group.

This expansion was fairly horrible for melee. It got better in SoO but the damage is well and truley done. There is such a heavy stigma on melee DPS.

Im not changing though, I feel very confident in my position as a melee DPS within our guild and as long as I continue to out perform the others Im not frightened.

That being said, as a Shaman, every single time a ranged DPS quits or is AFK i clench.

Im also thankful im not looking for a guild because I got sick of writing in bold at the top of the app "I AM NOT AN ELE SHAMAN".
    While your having melee stand in more crap Bliz, why not give them a legendary cloak that can proc cleave at any time that does a large amount of burst damage on newly pulled adds! Lol rly Bliz?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with SoO isn't that ranged are massively superior to melee, it''s that certain ranged specs are just dominating. Reduce Afflic, Destro and Arcane damage and the number line up pretty damn well.

The disparity between the two is getting smaller and judging by developer comments should be even better in WoD.