Thread: Melee in MoP

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    it was a sad expansion. Challenge modes as a rogue, ya i think that sums it up.

I switched my raiding main to a warlock this expansion, and I haven't regretted it. And they're so nice in PvP I leveled up a Horde lock.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    The problem with SoO isn't that ranged are massively superior to melee, it''s that certain ranged specs are just dominating. Reduce Afflic, Destro and Arcane damage and the number line up pretty damn well.

The disparity between the two is getting smaller and judging by developer comments should be even better in WoD.
    You're thinking damage output when we're talking about damage taken. Ranged have to worry about more mechanics than ever before but they can still move 10 yards and go back to shooting the boss/adds whereas a melee gets slammed/"defiled" and has to shuffle around hoping he can at least keep autoattacking the boss while trying to find a better spot. Friggin Thok. Paragon's cleave. Blackfuse in general. The raid has lots of things that cause a melee to either become a blood fountain or stand around doing no DPS whatsoever to avoid the former.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    The problem with SoO isn't that ranged are massively superior to melee, it''s that certain ranged specs are just dominating. Reduce Afflic, Destro and Arcane damage and the number line up pretty damn well.

The disparity between the two is getting smaller and judging by developer comments should be even better in WoD.
    Only in DPS, then look at amount of damage taken and overall utility. Melee is not wanted unless there are no ranged or they are simply that bad!

Deleted
    I switched my DK for my mage... so yeah, no melee for me.

Still on my DK but the thing that pisses me off the most is that I a plate melee have less HP then a clothie.
    Now before anyone says but they have less healing well BullSHIT, I give you the mother ffing lock more hp and healing then anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    You're thinking damage output when we're talking about damage taken. Ranged have to worry about more mechanics than ever before but they can still move 10 yards and go back to shooting the boss/adds whereas a melee gets slammed/"defiled" and has to shuffle around hoping he can at least keep autoattacking the boss while trying to find a better spot. Friggin Thok. Paragon's cleave. Blackfuse in general. The raid has lots of things that cause a melee to either become a blood fountain or stand around doing no DPS whatsoever to avoid the former.

Exactly.. Plus.. Blackfuse belt (can melee to just hit from wherever and after it's behind the final wall? No.) / adds (ranged can do BOTH, at the SAME TIME!), Galakras (can melee not run all the way back to the front of the line wherever the boss ends up and still hit the boss?), Malkorok (why have melee with no utility?), Thok (r u kidding me), Paragon's (how far should tanks have to drag things around before melee does not get hit "or can hit", oh yeah why bother? JUST BRING RANGED and no need for tanks to even know how to move the boss!), Shaman (3 tanks so we can even use melee "wow melee do well now" design flaw!), Spoils (bad cloak proc time, and melee die). Bliz has NO CLUE about melee at all!

Ranged got more mechanics because of the BAD decision allowing casting on the move, on top of the hunter changes over all these years. Without those added ranged mechanics how would the numbers look? LOL
    Last edited by thatmikeguy; 2014-03-05 at 10:31 PM.

I went from ranged to melee this expac, Blood/Frost DK and Arms/Fury Warrior alt now. I'll probably continue as them in WoD.

I do not know if the spec only abilities, CC changes, and mobility casting changes will help things this time around in PvE for melee once PvP balance is done.

Once again all we can do is hope for the best.

Feral druid all day long, raping anything in sight. If ferals are shit in wod, back to resto/bear/boom

melee in mop is just fine..pvp wise at least...see my signature.

Deleted
    Yup, the treatment of melee in MoP was what finally made me quit WoW after almost 5 years of playing and raiding. Quit on second week of SoO when our guild started progressing on heroic modes and I saw it would be the same shit as in T14 and T15.

Dark Shamans fight haha yea, I felt EXACTLY the same as the poster several posts above. Either die from all the fucking shit on the ground around bosses, and be made fun of on guild vent, or do NO dps for huge periods of the fight.

Versus warlock : just chill in the distance, safe from all the fucking mechanics, multidot EVERYTHING, and your raid leader will even tolerate it cuz "it givez me proccs bro, DEM PROCCS! single target increase!!!!!"
    But god forbid if I launch one Divine Storm as Ret "OMG stop padding the meters! one more AoE and you are lootbanned/benched!"

And Challenge Modes, oh yeah Challenge Modes. If anyone really thinks melee is fine in MoP, be they a clueless Blizz developer, or hardcore fanboi, go do 9/9 gold first as melee, then as ranged. Yup melee are fine and wanted in CM runs

in pvp wise , I will defo play a ranged class in wod if it will stay like this.

most of the ranged classes has more if not the same amount of defensive power than the melee , more cc and more dmg + melee has to reach to target while ranged can pew pew from ... well , range.

same for pve. we have to move , we have to get behind of target while ranged just press their tab key or click or whatever they use and start their rotation.

I'm thinking making my hunter or shaman is my main pve char for the next expansion.

Deleted
    Played every melee except for enha since i started wow, last one being a ww monk, i quit dps to go back to healing and im thinking about maining a warlock in wod, nowdays melee requires so much more focus and effort that it's almost not worthed, im not saying it should get easy but back in my day we knew that casters had bad mobility and melee were favoured most of the times, now on almost all encounters in soo casters are better, immerseus (puddles), galakras (movement) iron jugg (flames, bombs, puddles), dark shamans (everything favours casters), nazgrim (defensive stance, switching to adds faster etc.), malkorok (movement, soaking), THOK (IRK), siegecrafter (fire, blades, belt), klaxxi (everything) and the winner is garrosh with: engineer, desecrate, empower ww adds, transition etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    This game used to be the world of meleecraft, but then they gave ranged instants and the ability to cast and move. In WoD they are removing a lot of that so melee will probably be better again.
    It was never ever ever ever ever a Melee favored game. Ever. It was always, always without exception easier to do any and all content with fewer or no Melee then with Melee. Very often Melee were either taken simply to fill up roster/raid utility, otherwise you would always ALWAYS stack as many ranged as it was humanly possible.

P.S. I'm switching from War/DK to Shaman Elemental/Hunter. But I have a very strong suspicion I will simply end up quitting, because playing ranged tends to bore me to tears for some reason. And if I'll continue playing melee it will be Rogue, simply because I'm fed up with the dps performance roller coaster that my Warrior is.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-03-05 at 11:56 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    It was never ever ever ever ever a Melee favored game. Ever. It was always, always without exception easier to do any and all content with fewer or no Melee then with Melee. Very often Melee were either taken simply to fill up roster/raid utility, otherwise you would always ALWAYS stack as many ranged as it was humanly possible.

P.S. I'm switching from War/DK to Shaman Elemental/Hunter. But I have a very strong suspicion I will simply end up quitting, because playing ranged tends to bore me to tears for some reason. And if I'll continue playing melee it will be Rogue, simply because I'm fed up with the dps performance roller coaster that my Warrior is.
    Yes. Bliz really needs to see these posts. I am trying ESO, and if there is no change for melee in WOD PVE I'll just stay with ESO. All these years of being the underdog melee, mostly because of PvP balancing after the internal testers who have no idea at all how raid teams are made. Or that they can't just set ranged and then adjust melee "DPS" around ranged.

It's NOT just about DPS. It's also about survivability, AND how much healing/mana is needed, AND raid utility. IF Bliz combines some abilities that were parts of raid utility and only available in single specs, melee may actually get worse in WOD than in MOP!
    Last edited by thatmikeguy; 2014-03-06 at 01:05 AM.

It's also hilarious how much easier Brawler fights are as ranged. I think I wiped like 20 times on Nibbleh on my rogue and while I was doing this I watched a hunter 1-shot him by just moving from corner to corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    Anyone besides me changing to a ranged main in WoD?

Wiping on Immerseus hc as we speak. We usually take him down with no problem. I hate being melee
    Careful, you'll have to actually learn the mechanics of each boss rather than the standard "stand still and tunnel for 6 minutes" that melee currently do.

Deleted
    Yah, melee is an exercise in frustration occasionally. Maybe it's Blizz's devious way of trying to increase the amount of Tanks/Healers in the game by attempting to push Warrs/DKs/Pallys/Shammies/Druids into those roles :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    Anyone besides me changing to a ranged main in WoD?

Wiping on Immerseus hc as we speak. We usually take him down with no problem. I hate being melee
    It's very important if you are playing ranged to watch for dangerous ground effects so that you can watch melee die as they almost but not quite move out of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Careful, you'll have to actually learn the mechanics of each boss rather than the standard "stand still and tunnel for 6 minutes" that melee currently do.
    inorite? If you are melee you should have to move a lot otherwise get gibbed as opposed to ranged whose job is to pew pew and do 1.5x as much damage as melee while drinking an adult beverage.