Thread: Melee in MoP

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be playing as Enhancement for the mobility and potential to deal damage at range. I've found it fun to play around with a melee/ranged hybrid with Ascendance in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethaine321 View Post
    As long as warriors don't have 15 charges/interrupts then i will be sticking to my shadow priest.
    Yeah, they are taking away their warrior charge stun also. The warrior will be like sitting ducks in all ways for most ranged. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Then is this targeted for PvP? So they will change stance from say Arms into that? lol

Protection:
    Gladiator stance - Increases all damage dealt by 20%. Also causes shield slam to consume shield barrier as additional damage, and have an increased chance to critically strike equal to your critical block chance. (Replaces defensive stance)

Staying Melee; won't change as I'm not an FOTM reroller and actually know how to play my role as melee. People are grossly over exaggerating how bad it was for melee this tier. Only 2-3 fights melee were considered sub-optimal for progression this tier - Shamans/Blackfuse/Paragons, 2/3 of those not being bad for melee depending on your strat.

Don't think I'll ever swap mains over nerfs or changes, as you can always adjust for it and being melee is so much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by esoterickk View Post
    Staying Melee; won't change as I'm not an FOTM reroller and actually know how to play my role as melee. People are grossly over exaggerating how bad it was for melee this tier. Only 2-3 fights melee were considered sub-optimal for progression this tier - Shamans/Blackfuse/Paragons, 2/3 of those not being bad for melee depending on your strat.

Don't think I'll ever swap mains over nerfs or changes, as you can always adjust for it and being melee is so much more enjoyable.
    Well, it looks like the people grossly over exaggerating it are the ones building most of the raids! Or, you are one of "few" that know how to play your role, then that's another problem.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard gave melee the same 90-95% AoE reduction that is given to ranged class pets, now, there you might have something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Seems completely balanced, can't see any reason Blizzard wouldn't implement this and clearly wouldn't lead to any sort of abuse.
    You're right, the pet AoE reduction is easily exploited and needs to go in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmikeguy View Post
    Well, it looks like the people grossly over exaggerating it are the ones building most of the raids! Or, you are one of "few" that know how to play your role, then that's another problem.
    Sorry, I didn't realize the people whining on MMO champ about rerolling their melee were the ones actively "building most of the raids".

Melee aren't anywhere near as bad as they're made out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Rogues, and Ferals will find themselves a spot in any raid team. Windwalkers on AoE. Warriors on Garrosh HC.
    Make that Rogues (for smoke bomb) and Boomkins. Windwalkers have no business being brought into a raid "for AOE" if you can replace them with an equally geared Ele Shaman, Warlock (at all), Mage or even a Shadow Priest as they can at least provide burst raid healing. I main a Monk, they're disgustingly bad off in the "why should we bring your DPS spec" department.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Sorry, I didn't realize the people whining on MMO champ about rerolling their melee were the ones actively "building most of the raids".

Melee aren't anywhere near as bad as they're made out.
    Just look at the raid comp for most guilds. Why is that?

Just look at the raid comp for most guilds. Why is that?
    All of which include melee. Again, the only 3 fights where melee were considered sub-optimal for progression were Shamans, Siegecrafter and Paragons. 2 of those become fine for melee depending on your strategy, so the only fight that melee are at a true disadvantage is Paragons. Every other fight melee are fine and are brought.

Looking at all the top kills this still yields true, and I'm speaking from personal experience in regards to Heroic early progression (where class imbalances are highlighted for stacking in cutting-edge kills).

The point I'm making is that people really are making them worse out. I'm not saying they're wihout fault either - but every top guild still brings melee and there was only 1 fight that melee were "hard done by" this tier. Outside of that it's people grasping at reasons to cry about why they're at a disadvantage and they should all be magically superior to their counterparts in very single facet. If they don't get what they want, they reroll to something that fits their definition of OP - until it gets changed and the cycle continues.

Deleted
    Ranged is superior in every single aspect of WOW, be it PVE (raiding, dungeons and EVEN SOLOING!) and PVP (RBG!!!! arena).

There isnt any situation where you would want to replace ranged class with melee, EVER.

All of which include melee. Again, the only 3 fights where melee were considered sub-optimal for progression were Shamans, Siegecrafter and Paragons. 2 of those become fine for melee depending on your strategy, so the only fight that melee are at a true disadvantage is Paragons. Every other fight melee are fine and are brought.

Looking at all the top kills this still yields true, and I'm speaking from personal experience in regards to Heroic early progression (where class imbalances are highlighted for stacking in cutting-edge kills).

The point I'm making is that people really are making them worse out. I'm not saying they're wihout fault either - but every top guild still brings melee and there was only 1 fight that melee were "hard done by" this tier. Outside of that it's people grasping at reasons to cry about why they're at a disadvantage and they should all be magically superior to their counterparts in very single facet. If they don't get what they want, they reroll to something that fits their definition of OP - until it gets changed and the cycle continues.
    Surely being in a top guild you know why people bring melee and not just 14 warlocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

All raid groups want a variety of melee and ranged.
    Throughout wow's history ranged have definitely gotten the better part of the deal, but there are some fights x melee are needed or melee is favorable for some reason. Variety is the key to being able to tackle ANY mechanic or fight, but just due to how game mechanics work melee is less forgiving and often more micro-oriented as opposed to decision oriented
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

Deleted
    Yeah, they are taking away their warrior charge stun also. The warrior will be like sitting ducks in all ways for most ranged. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Then is this targeted for PvP? So they will change stance from say Arms into that? lol

Protection:
    Gladiator stance - Increases all damage dealt by 20%. Also causes shield slam to consume shield barrier as additional damage, and have an increased chance to critically strike equal to your critical block chance. (Replaces defensive stance)
    Would be interesting to see people using a 1 hander and shield for dps, loved the Dark Templar class in Age of Conan just because of the whole shield/1 hand so it would be cool if it was viable, it's also asking for trouble with the community being so toxic, the first thing people will say is "wtf kick the noob tank joined as dps".
    Last edited by mmoc8e0b60d5b6; 2014-03-06 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Surely being in a top guild you know why people bring melee and not just 14 warlocks...
    Because they're valuable and not as hindered as everyone is making out, as per my point. They fill roles/niches other classes can't, which is the same reason any variety of anything is brought along. Otherwise if everyone had access to all of the same abilities, yet there was one outlier stronger - it would only make sense to stack a raid 25x of that class (drops permitting).

People are arguing that this is currently the state of raids at the moment in regards to melee. Saying that melee are such a hinderance that the majority of guilds aren't bringing melee to bring ranged because they're so much stronger; but this is incorrect. As said, top guilds are infact bringing melee and I pointed out the fights that melee could be considered sub-optimal.

I'm not sure where you're going with this? You're agreeing that people bring melee and that's what I was saying.

Melee have really not had that much of a difficult experience compared to their ranged counterpart this tier; because again as I said there were very few instances melee were considered suboptimal.

Some meele are in a good spot...rogues and wars that is. Great dps and very good raid CD's. Its others like DK's and WW monks that are at the very bottom of the WoW ladder. As a WW monk the only reason I have a guaranteed spot is because Im good friends with core raiders Ive played with for years. Even tho Im top 5 on many fights I could do just as well as enhance, rogue or war while bringing much more to a raid. Point is theres nothing worse right now than being one of the meele classes without an essential CD. If I was in between guilds Id be rerolling in a second. People do bring the crappier meele specs out of friendship/dedication or to fill a spot but dont mistake that for the spot not being able to be better used elsewhere

I went back to tanking. But that's not because of any raid situation. I just didn't like what they did to Fury warriors.

Deleted
    The game hasnt ever been as well balanced as now

At this point you can play almost everything and be competitive at least.

As a ranged, I don't think we should have so many instants, or ways to cast and move. The point of being ranged is to cast from a safe distance, while melee get up close and personal, and can move and attack to compensate for cleaves, and other such abilities.

I haven't even touched Demo this expansion, because I think it's incredibly dumb that in Metamorphosis, most everything in the rotation is instant.

If I want to cast I will play a caster, if I want to move I will play a melee class.

I also agree that melee got the shaft this expac, with so many cleave and annihilate type of abilities.

I can solo Cinderfall on my Warlock, then I get on my Rogue and have to wait for others, so I can tag it while they kill it.
    Last edited by muto; 2014-03-07 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    You're right, the pet AoE reduction is easily exploited and needs to go in WoD.
    No, I can see how that comparison is completely justified.

OHNO. A boss that requires a lot of AoE healing (something like Ra-den). LOL LET'S JUST STACK MELEE AND BRING 1 HEALER LOOL.

/world1st
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-03-07 at 08:37 AM.

Well, how about they just stop using AoE (particularly of the obnoxious, room-clogging persistent variety) as a regen sink to keep healers from being bored. It's getting to be as bad as debuff spamming was in Classic. Instead of Cleanse! Cleanse! Cleanse! Dispel! Dispel! Dispel! now it's HR! HR! HR! PoH! PoH! PoH!

Although I have to admit giving melee the pet Avoidance passive would make them a lot more useful in rated PvP as well.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"