Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    The beta isn't intended to be your gaming experience of the new expansion. It's not meant to be there for you to figure out how to get a special achievement. The fact that a number of people used the beta to get the edge needed to win the race really spoils it for everyone else. IMO it would be a far more meaningful race if everyone in the realm was on the same footing, going into it with no prior information.
    And the best guilds in the world use the PTR to learn the boss mechanics/tactics, how is it any different with them? Neither race(to realm first level X, or to kill X boss) is suited for everyone, only for a groups of people that are really, really interesting in achieving it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skr View Post
    And I really don't get what problem do the people that DON'T compete for Realm First have with the achievements? It doesn't affect them in any way, but they want it gone? Can't find the logic here- if I don't care about something in the game, they better remove it.
    I have never competed for it, and I don't particularly desire to see it go away, but I can understand why Blizzard sees it as a negative feature - because I have observed it becoming a toxic event for a lot of people who did choose to compete.

Deleted
    As a Realm First in all the expansions (80, 85 and 90) I must say I'm glad they're removing them. The amazing stress, tension, panic etc were not exactly good feelings, specially when nearing the last hours of the leveling. I also never played any beta to max level because I don't want spoilers on new content, and for WoD I would probably need to. So all in all, you should be happy. You can still blast to maximum level however you want and you will NOT "lose", which is a huge thing. When I felt all that joy and glory when the achievement popped, after getting some sleep I thought about how the other players felt; very close in exp, all that time (14+ hours) only to LOSE in the end. I understand people like to feel the thrill of the race, but well, you got Hardcore Diablo for that! (just kidding)

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    And the best guilds in the world use the PTR to learn the boss mechanics/tactics, how is it any different with them?
    I never said it was a good thing. But I acknowledge that it a necessary evil since a PTR is needed to test out the stuff.

Neither race(to realm first level X, or to kill X boss) is suited for everyone, only for a groups of people that are really, really interesting in achieving it.
    Race for X boss kill takes a lot more commitment than world first level XX. Also, although world first raid kills almost certainly require practice in Beta, most of the work is still done in the actual game. I think the fact that some people spent weeks playing beta to get ready for a leveling race that took less than 24 hours in the actual game is just sad.

Deleted
    I think the fact that some people spent weeks playing beta to get ready for a leveling race that took less than 24 hours in the actual game is just sad.
    That's their very own business. Nobody is holding a gun at someone's head forcing them to compete for realm first. If it's not your thing- good, I'm sure that there are other part of the gameplay of the incoming expansion that concern you, but there are people that enjoy this particular thing.

This is an interesting argument. Basically you are saying you played the game in Beta to experience the content so that you could skip through it once the content goes live.

While this may be a good incentive for you personally to experience the game, I think it's fair to say it kinda runs contrary to the spirit of the game. The game should be enjoyed once it's live. People competing for realm firsts tend to miss out on a lot, and for most of them it ends up being in vain because there can only be one winner. I had a guildie who went for realm first warrior, and missed out by about 15 minutes. It was a huge let down for the guy, and he spent the next few months not really knowing what the MoP story was, while the rest of us got to really enjoy the expansion and its story a lot more.

My point exactly. The beta isn't intended to be your gaming experience of the new expansion. It's not meant to be there for you to figure out how to get a special achievement. The fact that a number of people used the beta to get the edge needed to win the race really spoils it for everyone else. IMO it would be a far more meaningful race if everyone in the realm was on the same footing, going into it with no prior information.

This is one of the primary reasons why I believe they canned the idea. The kind of crap that the world first people pulled off to get it (Athene for Cata and then that FS guy for MoP) just ruined the fun of it. It goes against the spirit of the game, and the mere fact that there were debates about whether it was technically cheating or just a case of clever rules lawyering indicates that it was a broken feature.
    So in your opinion its better to not experience the content at all over experiencing it in BETA?

Without the achievement I wont bother doing all the quests in beta. I will just rush trough a few random zones once the game goes live and get my character geared up as fast as possible for raids. I will miss out a load of content compared to the previous expansions, where I could dream every corner and quest and story of every zone because I prepared for the server first race.

If you really think that those previously rushing for server first will suddenly slowly read every quest and do every quest in each zone in chronological order and continue questing even after they hit level 100 to experience the full story your delusional. These compatitive players want to get to level 100 and gear themselves up for raids. Thats how they enjoy the game, and theres nothing wrong with this. At least previously the achievement gave these players a reason to check out all the quest content, now this reason is gone.

Can someone tell me what the HARM in having realm first achievements is? Because 97.5% of the population gets butthurt and says "OMG U HAZ NO LIFE NERD" when they don't get it ? I do not understand what the fuck the problem is. Blizzard makes little sense these days. The people that enjoy racing to realm first will still do it and GuildOx will still track it for us, so it isn't that big of a deal but it's kind of convenient to know when it happens on the live realms, and also fun to congratulate the other players. I know in MoP I was always in the top 5 running for that lvl 90, I think I ended up getting Shaman 1st and Overall 4 or 5 but it was fun talking in general with the other guys, etc. etc.

They should work on removing things that actually effect the game in a negative way or things that are obsolete.

10+ Year Old Account
    mmmm not happy at all with the removal of realm first achievements. It may have encouraged exploits but it was fun and a cool accomplishment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaneosak View Post
    Can someone tell me what the HARM in having realm first achievements is? Because 97.5% of the population gets butthurt and says "OMG U HAZ NO LIFE NERD" when they don't get it ? I do not understand what the fuck the problem is. Blizzard makes little sense these days. The people that enjoy racing to realm first will still do it and GuildOx will still track it for us, so it isn't that big of a deal but it's kind of convenient to know when it happens on the live realms, and also fun to congratulate the other players. I know in MoP I was always in the top 5 running for that lvl 90, I think I ended up getting Shaman 1st and Overall 4 or 5 but it was fun talking in general with the other guys, etc. etc.

They should work on removing things that actually effect the game in a negative way or things that are obsolete.
    It sends out a message that they want you to rush through the leveling content, which they don't. It might cause demand for customer service as tickets, which means that people with real problems have to wait, and it has balance issues with the new troll racial and heirlooms from Garrosh so it's better not to have it as official achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard really likes to remove stuff. It amazes me how much they talk, and yet say so little.

Don't kid yourself, the hardcore players will still rush through the content, to get to 100 ASAP, just to make a lot money, or to get a head start ahead of the rest of the population while grinding reputations, or farming materials, or whatnot, which is a HUGE deal on high/full realms.

And about "experiencing the leveling content"- I can always experience it/read the quests/etc on one of the 3 alts I have, which I won't have a reason to rush with.

And I really don't get what problem do the people that DON'T compete for Realm First have with the achievements? It doesn't affect them in any way, but they want it gone? Can't find the logic here- if I don't care about something in the game, they better remove it.
    How about the spam everyone gets when someone gets a realm first achievement? Take out the spam and I'm good with whatever.

SNIP...
    It goes against the spirit of the game, and the mere fact that there were debates about whether it was technically cheating or just a case of clever rules lawyering indicates that it was a broken feature.
    If we're going to bring up what goes against the spirit of the game then buying a level 90 and skipping the entire 1-90 leveling content goes against the spirit of the game.

Might as well just let me buy a level 100 and skip the entire leveling process and get to end game where the real game starts for many players.

BUT with server first achievements you are at least Leveling yourself in the quickest way possible and actually playing the game.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-03-07 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    So in your opinion its better to not experience the content at all over experiencing it in BETA?

Without the achievement I wont bother doing all the quests in beta. I will just rush trough a few random zones once the game goes live and get my character geared up as fast as possible for raids. I will miss out a load of content compared to the previous expansions, where I could dream every corner and quest and story of every zone because I prepared for the server first race.

If you really think that those previously rushing for server first will suddenly slowly read every quest and do every quest in each zone in chronological order and continue questing even after they hit level 100 to experience the full story your delusional. These compatitive players want to get to level 100 and gear themselves up for raids. Thats how they enjoy the game, and theres nothing wrong with this. At least previously the achievement gave these players a reason to check out all the quest content, now this reason is gone.
    If you don't want to quest for the joy of questing, that is your prerogative. You keep talking as if the world first race is the only reason to pay attention to any quest or storyline in the game. Maybe so for you, but understand not many others share your view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapheiros View Post
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

Really glad to see realm firsts go. Now hopefully I won't have to go an extra 15 skill points on my gnome in engineering just to get credit for getting to the new max level of engineering for that achievement, assuming they leave in achievements for maxing out professions.

Appear offline.... such a simple feature yet they need 2 years to make (and apparently aren't even close to completing it), what kind of programmers blizzard have? As a programmer of 13 years i can say this is 1 week work, seriously. Its obvious they dont want to do it for different reasons.

Wondering if people complaining here actually got any realm first themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    What's with the lack of wod info >.< We are in march and not even an announcement of a beta let alone the beta itself
    "We're gonna bring faster expansions and content." inb4 MoP being longest expansion to date for WoW. I don't think there's any chance the expansion will come out before September or even October. They've been silent since BlizzCon almost, showing us models we don't really need to see now, and posting useless blogs imo.

If there would've been at least 2 or 3 more features coming with WoD I would understand the delay. But what's the delay for? Models? Garrison? Can't bay anything else, I'm not hyped for either of them, sure models are cool, but I don't look at my character much. And Garrison, meh decent feature but guess it's taking up way to much time. It should've been in with expansion after WoD and bring something less time consuming with WoD.

Unless, they're gonna be "Surprise we're also adding a new race and class!/Biggest feature yet to WoW!"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    If you don't want to quest for the joy of questing, that is your prerogative. You keep talking as if the world first race is the only reason to pay attention to any quest or storyline in the game. Maybe so for you, but understand not many others share your view.
    Am I not a player of this game? If you make thousands of players happy by literally adding 1 achievement why not do so?

I see no reason whatsoever to remove it. It makes me enjoy a new expansion and the beta more, and has no negative impact for people like you in any way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hate that they're getting rid of Realm First for leveling. I got 85 on my rogue and would have gone for 90 if my best friend didn't come back to wow (I leveled with him instead, slowly.) It's a choice that you make and contrary to Blizzard or the sheep believe, It doesn't detract from enjoying the story.

To all the haters, grow up. Just because you lack the drive/interest to do it, don't hate on those that do. I busted my ass for my Realm First achievement and was also able to enjoy the story because I actually grew up reading books and don't need my finger to help read like most of the wow base (stay in school.) I can also guarantee that not one person on my server exploited to do so (since I knew most of them.) I'm also willing to bet, aside from the ridiculously overpopulated realms (where a majority of the "pro" players are,) this is the case.

Also, to those that say there's more animosity than good feelings towards those that do; you're probably right. Anytime there's someone striving to be the best there's going to be haters, regardless of what. You think top guilds don't hear people talk shit about them all the time? Of course they do. You think top players don't have people talking shit about them either? It's just like life. You'll have more people hoping you fail than succeed. But I'll never forget when I achieved Realm First and the amount of positive tells I received from both Horde and Alliance players. There are those that appreciate and respect the commitment it takes.

Professions, I can kind of understand. With Realm First comes the raping of the AH from the people that have ridiculous amounts of gold to buy mats which does nothing but inflate prices at the start (which may and probably still will, end up happening.) This is the reason why I didn't have my professions maxed until I leveled a grinding alt. So I might actually be able to enjoy professions in the beginning.

But what harm does leveling cause to the other player base?

We still face the same challenges that the rest of the player base does and other than a few bad apples, we do it legitimately. Hell, end game raiders are still going to fly through leveling regardless so they're ready for the start of raiding. Have to max professions and get they're perks, have to grind dungeons and get the best gear.

So really, who is this catering to?

The people who do it, so they can "enjoy the lore?"

Or to the casuals who don't/can't, because they didn't want to work hard enough to get it?

Either way, I'm still gonna be one of the firsts to 100 because I'm a raider and want to be fully prepared come raid time. I'll also have a firm grasp on the lore while I do it.
    Last edited by Maxxron; 2014-03-08 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    With no raids released the first week, and no realm first achievements available, what are you actually going to do the first week? Level to 90 day 1, get all dungeon gear day 2-3 and log off day 4-7?
    not everyone is going to be whoring the game none-stop to the level cap. 1 week before raids go live is fine for 90% of the games player base imo