Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    I'm currently playing a healer. If someone is standing in something bad I still heal them. I might yell at them, but my job is to keep them alive, no matter what. As a tank your job is to hold aggro on everything that you can, no matter what.
    That's probably fine at this stage because due to end of expansion itemization healers effectively have unlimited mana supplies. At the beginning of an expansion, however, it's actually bad practice to waste all your mana on the guy standing in the fire. You're better off letting him die so that you can conserve your mana for the competent players. Same applies to tanking. It's better to let the guy who pulled die so that you can keep yourself alive for the other players. I've seen many attempted troll facepulls fail because everyone had the presence of mind to let the idiot who was doing them die by himself. When no one else hits the mob it quickly drops aggro and resets.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    That's probably fine at this stage because due to end of expansion itemization healers effectively have unlimited mana supplies. At the beginning of an expansion, however, it's actually bad practice to waste all your mana on the guy standing in the fire. You're better off letting him die so that you can conserve your mana for the competent players. Same applies to tanking. It's better to let the guy who pulled die so that you can keep yourself alive for the other players. I've seen many attempted troll facepulls fail because everyone had the presence of mind to let the idiot who was doing them die by himself. When no one else hits the mob it quickly drops aggro and resets.
    True. Thats why I said, "If you are able to tank the extra, and don't, then you are a bad tank"

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    I'm currently playing a healer. If someone is standing in something bad I still heal them. I might yell at them, but my job is to keep them alive, no matter what. As a tank your job is to hold aggro on everything that you can, no matter what.
    Lets agree to disagree on this.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    When dungeons are properly tuned this is pretty much how they're supposed to tank. I have seen far too many players who expect tanks to do otherwise. If you want to play sloppily and poorly feel free to queue with your buddies. Don't expect everyone else to play like baddies to suit your personal preferences.
    Lol. Fast = sloppy. Right. Sorry, but by the time a mob is at 75% health it's impossible to lose threat before it dies. Even TBC and Cataclysm tanking weren't tuned so tightly that running to the next group with a couple on low health being finished by DoTs was an issue. If you're standing around until the very last mob in a group of five is dead, you're going too slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkangarew View Post
    So I just ran a dungeon and go chewed out by very dead mage and warrior who pulled and I let die. When I said it’s my job to pull, the healers job to heal, and the dps’s job to kill what I pull. Right after I typed that they lost their minds and went on an epic 4 letter rant that I can’t post here.
    This reason I post this is to vent / rant as this lack of respect / etiquette is the main reason most of my friends stopped playing the game as is made it no fun for them.
    Got to love how good gear, the love of big pretty numbers and the occasional ahole seem to be ruining the game for so many.
    Id say your elitist tank attitude is what was wrong in your scenario. It is your job to tank anything no matter who pulled it, you or otherwise.

It's random dungeons. Don't expect good people in there. When you run a pre-made group expect good people because you took the time and effort to screen them out. If you're queueing for a random you're not entitled to only be grouped with the best of the best. Someone who throws a fit and gets half the party killed because they don't "play well enough" for their tastes is far more annoying to me than a random player who has not yet grasped all the subtleties of their class. Tailor your expectations accordingly. Chain pulling saves less than five minutes and potentially costs 10 minutes due to the group wiping and/or people dropping. If you can solo heroics then solo them. Don't make everyone else's life miserable.
    You can clear most heroics in 10 minutes... Why on earth would you waste 5 extra minutes doing anything as mundane as trash in a heroic? Also, who wipes in heroics? I hope that was a joke.

How do I make your life miserable if I am able to pull faster and kill faster than you? Do you not like getting carried?

10+ Year Old Account
    No longer a concern. Just bought my first lvl 90 boost, and will get another after I see what the CE will look like. Low level dungeons, and the bullshit that comes with them.... THING. OF. THE. PAST. Hello end game and goodbye lowbie brick road.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Lol. Fast = sloppy. Right. Sorry, but by the time a mob is at 75% health it's impossible to lose threat before it dies. Even TBC and Cataclysm tanking weren't tuned so tightly that running to the next group with a couple on low health being finished by DoTs was an issue. If you're standing around until the very last mob in a group of five is dead, you're going too slow.
    Even now there have been many times when I pulled aggro off the tank because they were arrogant enough to think that way. Sometimes the healer's good and I live. Other times I disengage, pop my threat dump, and/or quit DPSing outright and I still die because the healer couldn't keep up and the tank is too busy running through the dungeon like a chicken with its head cut off to even try and get threat back. If you have decent DPS in your group you're not going to keep threat on mobs with 75% health. If you really think this way then I'd say you've never tanked raids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    How do I make your life miserable if I am able to pull faster and kill faster than you? Do you not like getting carried?
    No, I don't like getting carried. Who does? Also, if you start a boss fight before I'm in the room I am locked out and miss out on the JP. If you want to run with players who pull and kill as fast as you then pre-mades are for you. Otherwise you should do the polite thing. Imagine an NBA player coming up on a group of high school kids in the park and joining them. Do you really think the kids would appreciate him running in, ball-hogging, and spending the next 45 minutes running circles around them while dunking? I think they'd consider him an arrogant ass. That's pretty much how you come off to most people when you chain pull through randoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Well, the spells of DPS that run ahead disagree. Whether you like it or not.
    Well, it's not me who's dead in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by lordkangarew View Post
    Either was I still love the game and will play it for many more years to come .... just hope the ignore list does not have a limit lol

hate when people do this, especially in low level dungeons, i just sit in the corner and let them get me xp.. always very fun to do as a healer or tank...

anyways, bad news: ignore list has a limit.
    ................good news: it auto clears when people delete the toon or stop paying their sub for a while... REJOICE!

Deleted
    If you have decent DPS in your group you're not going to keep threat on mobs with 75% health. If you really think this way then I'd say you've never tanked raids.
    If the DPS are from my guild, they die in seconds, so threat is not even an issue. In the average pug a tank can build insane amounts of threat by the time a mob hits 75% and start moving for the next lot. Lol at the second part, I've tanked every raid from TBC to current on a Warrior, then a Paladin.

From your posts in this thread you sound like the kind of tank who would cry and whine and /sit at the entrance because the DPS wont stroke your ego. Get over yourself while I continue to help give random groups fast dungeon clears.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-03-10 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    If the DPS are from my guild, they die in seconds, so threat is not even an issue. In the average pug a tank can build insane amounts of threat by the time a mob hits 75%. Lol at the second part, I've tanked every raid from TBC to current on a Warrior, then a Paladin.

From your posts in this thread you sound like the kind of tank who would cry and whine and /sit at the entrance because the DPS wont stroke your ego. Get over yourself while I continue to help give random groups fast dungeon clears.
    Give fast dungeon clears =/= be a total dick and just rush everything.

If you can solo the shit. say so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    You're clearly an incredibly bad tank if dps die in every one of your runs, so I hope I'm missing what you're saying here.

I don't go tank spec, nor do I change gear. I queue up as a tank and DPS my way through heroics when I get the itch to do them to speed things up and not have to listen to awful tanks complain about who has threat...

And you know what? I've never once lost threat Q'ing as a tank for heroics when I'm DPS... So I can only imagine how absurdly, mind numbingly awful an actual tank would have to be to have any amount of trouble whatsoever in heroics.

As far as lower level dungeons go, I leveled my monk as BM and my pally as prot just for quick q's. Never once had an issue with threat, or people pulling, or any other issues... Because I can run just as fast as they can, and they never got to a mob before I did. It's called tanking
    You say it as if it's only the tank's responsibility to keep everyone alive.

No, I don't like getting carried. Who does? Also, if you start a boss fight before I'm in the room I am locked out and miss out on the JP. If you want to run with players who pull and kill as fast as you then pre-mades are for you. Otherwise you should do the polite thing. Imagine an NBA player coming up on a group of high school kids in the park and joining them. Do you really think the kids would appreciate him running in, ball-hogging, and spending the next 45 minutes running circles around them while dunking? I think they'd consider him an arrogant ass. That's pretty much how you come off to most people when you chain pull through randoms.
    The analogy is valid, but too many people don't give a damn about actually playing the game. They run dungeons not because they enjoy them, but because they want what they can get out of them, so their only metric is "how fast can we go".

Challenge modes exacerbated this problem by solidifying the idea that "fast = good", and simultaneously creating the erroneous perception that "speed = skill".

*shrug* not much we can do about it at this point.

What's the polite thing? Dumbing my skill down to your level?

Wait... You think that a good wow player carrying a noob is like an NBA player carrying a high school player? You do realize that NBA players already do this, right? The kids love it.

I haven't been carried since classic, and I didn't mind it one bit. If there is a good player out there that completely outclasses me, and carries me in an instance, I would be in awe and complement him/her on their skill. I wouldn't shun the person helping me. Only an ungrateful idiot would do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    What's the polite thing? Dumbing my skill down to your level?

Wait... You think that a good wow player carrying a noob is like an NBA player carrying a high school player? You do realize that NBA players already do this, right? The kids love it.

I haven't been carried since classic, and I didn't mind it one bit. If there is a good player out there that completely outclasses me, and carries me in an instance, I would be in awe and complement him/her on their skill. I wouldn't shun the person helping me. Only an ungrateful idiot would do such a thing.
    skill =/= outgear the content with dps, so you can make the tank feel worthless.
    And the NBA thing doesn't work here. The NBA guy doesn't force the kids on the side of the field cause he can do this alone.
    Last edited by Ghostile; 2014-03-10 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post
    what a horrendous post,

OT myself as a tank and any healers I run with give dps a two strike policy.
    1st time dps pull randomly ill taunt and healer will heal. 2nd time they do it they are on their own. If they die it is their own fault. And dps die every single dungeon though I wonder how many learn from it
    That's exactly how I tank, whether or not I have a healer from my guild along. I'll usually just whisper the healer if a dps becomes a problem and ask them to stop healing the dps. I can heal myself through most heroics on my prot pally regardless, so even if a healer ends up stopping to heal the dps I just keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    The analogy is valid, but too many people don't give a damn about actually playing the game. They run dungeons not because they enjoy them, but because they want what they can get out of them, so their only metric is "how fast can we go".

Challenge modes exacerbated this problem by solidifying the idea that "fast = good", and simultaneously creating the erroneous perception that "speed = skill".

*shrug* not much we can do about it at this point.
    Speed is a part of skill, and challenge modes isn't the thing that created this concept. It's been around for thousands of years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Give fast dungeon clears =/= be a total dick and just rush everything.

If you can solo the shit. say so.
    What does this even mean? I am the tank, why would I not go as fast as I can?

I hate every tank who has the mindset of he has to pull in order to tank. I am a tank. If a dps pulls something, I welcome the challenge of getting it off of him and onto me. If a dps is pulling, it probably means I'm going too slow.

I've never had problems with dps pulling because I dont wait in between pulls like a most of you moron tanks out there.