Thread: WoD = WoW2

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoD = WoW2

People have often wondered what a WoW 2.0 would look like.
    I believe we have it. This is almost a complete reset, with existing players keeping their characters.
    This is WoW2, Blizzard style. We won't get a "real" WoW2.

1. New Character Models
    2. Everyone starts with a Level 90
    3. People purchasing the xpac get previous xpacs for free - This is also the reason for the $50 price tag. Blizzard sees it as a full game, not just an xpac.
    4. I expect release date on WoW 10year anniversary, Nov 24 (debatable)
    5. Heavily marketed to new and returning players.

I also suspect they will introduce scaling for old dungeons and raids to allow everyone to run them as "LFR style" content with similar rewards.
    Last edited by Mullet Man; 2014-03-11 at 05:38 AM.

Deleted
    Aren't sequels for videogames generally considered to be better?

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD = Expansion pack.

WoW 2 = WoW 2
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    WoD = Expansion pack.

WoW 2 = WoW 2
    Did you even read the thread?

I mean considering expansions costs as much as a full priced game, why wouldn't every expansion be WoWn+1?
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    Yes and you are wrong. Wod is an expansion pack. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I mean considering expansions costs as much as a full priced game, why wouldn't every expansion be WoWn+1?
    They are, but no other xpac offered the ability for a new player to start level with existing players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Yes and you are wrong. Wod is an expansion pack. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    How would a WoW2 be different oh wise one?

WoW 2 would have Me'dan to piss off alot of people. So, I don't think this is it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are, but no other xpac offered the ability for a new player to start level with existing players
    How does that make it "WoW 2?"

You can do that with exactly ONE character for free. You have to pay 60$ for the others.

How would a WoW2 be different oh wise one?
    New engine/intensely differentiated graphics style

Complete remake of all content or old content no longer available and all content restricted to a completely new area with a new storyline

Major gameplay elements fundamentally changed

WoD is no more than BC, WotLK, Cata, or MoP have been.

Hell, Cata would have been a better contender for "WoW 2" than WoD is.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    How does that make it "WoW 2?"

You can do that with exactly ONE character for free. You have to pay 60$ for the others.

New engine/intensely differentiated graphics style

Complete remake of all content or old content no longer available and all content restricted to a completely new area with a new storyline

Major gameplay elements fundamentally changed

WoD is no more than BC, WotLK, Cata, or MoP have been.

Hell, Cata would have been a better contender for "WoW 2" than WoD is.

While I agree I would like these things, Blizzard will never do this with WoW. It is a cash cow. They won't risk killing it with a radically new MMO, even if it based on WoW.

That is why this is WoW2, Blizzard Style. Not fan style. This is as close as we are going to get to a WoW2 from current Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree I would like these things, Blizzard will never do this with WoW. It is a cash cow. They won't risk killing it with a radically new MMO, even if it based on WoW.

That is why this is WoW2, Blizzard Style. Not fan style. This is as close as we are going to get to a WoW2 from current Blizzard.
    No... It is an expansion pack.
    Aye mate

If anything then Cataclysm was WoW 2.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I did, and I still agree with wow2= wow2 and xpac = xpac. Sorry if that sets off the didn't read it alarm, but I just disagree with the OP's opinion.
    Added features do not make it a new game. And no I am not hating, just calling it what it is, an xpac.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account

It's not a marked departure from Blizzard's cadence in any way, shape, or form.

"Sequels" indicate that old content has been removed/bypassed and new content is now where you're doing things without the ability to go back into the old content as it originally existed.

Take bioshock. Bioshock 1 happens in one part of rapture and sees the character dealing with one set of challenges. Bioshock 2 happens in a DIFFERENT part of rapture and sees a DIFFERENT character dealing with DIFFERENT challenges. And then Bioshock Infinite takes place in a different city altogether. You don't "progress" from bioshock 1 to Bioshock 2 and then Bioshock Infinite by reaching a certain level in bioshock 1 and then 2. Same goes for Assassin's creed 1, 2, 2's sequels, and 3 and 4. All traveling to different areas with different characters dealing with different stories that you cannot cross back and forth between without popping out the game and putting in another disk. THAT is a sequel.

An expansion is... well, an EXPANSION upon what's existent, which is what WoD is doing. You can go back to Outland and Northrend and Uldum and Vash'jir and Pandaria, as they all existed when first created, easy as you please in WoD.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-03-11 at 05:33 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If anything then Cataclysm was WoW 2.
    But Cata didn't have a catch up ability for new and returning players.
    They had to level up and were months behind. Plus, cata lost subscribers overall.

I believe Blizzard thinks this xpac has the ability to grow new customers. To you and I, this appears as an xpac. But Blizzard will spin it to new/returning players as WoW2. They are starting fresh with everyone else.

They are already marketing and pricing it this way - see top post.

There will not be a "real" WoW2. This is a close as we are going to get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "Sequels" indicate that old content has been removed/bypassed and new content is now where you're doing things without the ability to go back into the old content as it originally existed.
    Sure, that is how you define it. But does Blizzard define a sequel this way? Nobody but Blizzard knows. We only have the data so far. As much as we may want a "real" sequel, I doubt we will see it. They make way too much money with current WoW to risk it. Only when WoW is almost completely dead will we ever see something like a real WoW2. This is as close as we are going to get from the current Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, that is how you define it. But does Blizzard define a sequel this way? Nobody but Blizzard knows. We only have the data so far. As much as we may want a "real" sequel, I doubt we will see it. They make way too much money with current WoW to risk it. Only when WoW is almost completely dead will we ever see something like a real WoW2. This is as close as we are going to get from the current Blizzard.
    So you're just randomly calling this expansion a sequel, saying "well maybe that's what blizzard defines it as too!"

Yeah, this thread is going much of anywhere then.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

You have made your point on what you would actually expect on wow 2, but apparently most others may have expected more than just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, that is how you define it. But does Blizzard define a sequel this way? Nobody but Blizzard knows.
    Except I know. Warcraft III was a sequel to Warcraft II and it certainly wasn't what you describe.

Starcraft II is a sequel, Heart of the Swarm was an expansion.

Diablo III is a sequel, Reaper of Souls is an expansion.

You notice how those are all Blizzard games with sequel and expansion being clearly defined?

They're not going to make a successor to WoW in the form of a new MMO until WoW is either not profitable enough or they feel like it's time to move on to a brand new engine and platform; that doesn't mean that Warlords of Draenor is their presentation as a sequel, it'd be a hell of a lot larger if it were.

So I'm not certain where you're getting this whole notion that Blizzard is close-mouthed about what they see a sequel as. I can see it clear as day, seeing how they've made sequels to their games and expansions to those same games; they're not even CLOSE to the same - a hard reset is always part of a sequel because it's literally a new game; a WoW expansion is never going to be a brand new game.

That said, your post isn't so bad aside from the dogged defense of your argument you keep making; it's ok for people to actually prove your main point wasn't 100% accurate; doesn't mean you didn't have a decent thought.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

TBC was WoW 2
    Wrath was WoW 3
    Cata was WoW 4
    MoP was WoW 5
    WoD will be WoW 6
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    WoW 2.0 would look like.
    Ummm 2.0 was TBC. We are on 5.4.7, waiting for 6.0

However the major update to the game was Cataclysm. They changed almost everything about the game for that one.