Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    WoD Beta, which will be enough. GW2 is the only MMO that I can remember that didn't fall utterly short of the lofty "WoW competitor" goal, which is mostly because of no sub fee. The game was pretty damn solid, but lacked a strong endgame, which seems to be the main killer of new MMOs. You'd think they would have learned by now.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-03-11 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    Seriously, stop giving so much importance to other MMO/game releases. I guarantee you only a very small fraction of WoW playerbase actually cares about them.
    Being a WoW player doesn't mean being interested in MMOs in general. Besides that, just look how many people still play this game now, when there's no new content being added, these people are hardcore WoW addicts/passionates. Nothing but Blizzard will make them stop playing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Wildstar is a niche sci-fi game just like WoW was a niche fantasy game that was never designed to have over 500,000 players. You think that the cultural saturation that Warcraft has now is from the RTS'? It's from an MMO that was supposed to be a small deal that no one thought would be a success, here we are ten years later.
    WOW had a ton of hype leading up to it. It wasn´t so much about the RTS, it was that every game Blizzard had made up until that point had been rock solid. But the biggest thing is that it brought new people into the genre who had never played an MMO. That gave Blizzard a huge advantage because the majority of it´s players couldn´t compare it to anything else.

Wildstar is barely heard of outside of niche forums. It is going to launch and be played by people who have probably played at least 2 other MMOs... and although some say this isn´t fair.. it is fact.. it is going to have to compete, on day 1, against WOW as WOW is today, not as WOW was when it launched. It will have the exact same problems as Rift, but probably even worse. Rift had a lot more hype than Wildstar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wildstar is a bigger threat then ESO, and i only expect wildstar to be about as successful as Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Wildstar is a niche sci-fi game just like WoW was a niche fantasy game that was never designed to have over 500,000 players. You think that the cultural saturation that Warcraft has now is from the RTS'? It's from an MMO that was supposed to be a small deal that no one thought would be a success, here we are ten years later.
    WildStar is indeed a niche sci-fi game. That doesn't make it bad, a failure, or anything of the sort -- EVE Online is also a niche game and has 500,000 subscribers. WildStar will cater to the sci-fi/action MMO crowd and be successful.

People need to realize that every game doesn't need to be WoW to make money and entertain players. If you enjoy WoW, play WoW. If you enjoy EVE, play EVE. If you enjoy ESO, play ESO. Not everyone is looking for the next big thing or even cares about other MMOs.

Play the games you enjoy and don't worry about numbers. It's really that simple.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Here I am, still playing Skyrim.

What is ESO? really big skyrim
    Calling ESO a big Skyrim is a slap in the face to Bethesda and Skyrim itself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Blizzard has said, and their track record proves that they do not move launch dates around based on competition, not even from their own games. During an expansion, Blizzard puts patches out every 4-6 months, obviously they are almost always going to get within 2 months of the launch of another game... it is almost impossible not to.
    I don't doubt your point that Blizzard does not move launch dates but it is a bit weird to see that Guild Wars 2 launched the same day that MoP 5.0.4 went live. I suppose one could go and look at previous patches dates to see if the any (or all) pre-expansion patches or major content patches had coincidental time frames with launches of other MMOs. Then again that could just reaffirm your other point on the Blizzard patch cycles.

But you know how "tin-hatters" like to draw lines to extrapolate the future. Besides, what else is there to do while folks wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Hello.

I will. And milions will do the same after all the independant press review the game 19/20 and put an end to fake/paid comments over internet.

See you in game.
    Aww, you really think that all of those people calling ESO a terrible game are fake/paid? I've read a lot of retarded comments before, but that one... that one is too much.

Hint: When a bunch of random comments all mention how poorly a game controls, that usually means that the game controls poorly and it's a legitimate concern. Poor controls almost always = failed game.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Seriously, stop giving so much importance to other MMO/game releases. I guarantee you only a very small fraction of WoW playerbase actually cares about them.
    Being a WoW player doesn't mean being interested in MMOs in general. Besides that, just look how many people still play this game now, when there's no new content being added, these people are hardcore WoW addicts/passionates. Nothing but Blizzard will make them stop playing this game.
    Winner right here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Aww, you really think that all of those people calling ESO a terrible game are fake/paid? I've read a lot of retarded comments before, but that one... that one is too much.

Hint: When a bunch of random comments all mention how poorly a game controls, that usually means that the game controls poorly and it's a legitimate concern. Poor controls almost always = failed game.
    The game has gotten better than it was, but still wouldn't pay for it. It's a good game to play for a day than kinda gets boring. You need that drive to play & Level.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    This. The closest current competition wow has is Wildstar.
    Even Clunkystar is pretty debatable.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    The reason they are doing it now is to use the level 90 boost to encourage people to continue playing. We are in the last month of Q1, content is stale, there is nothing on the horizon. Blizzard is using the 90 boost to help their numbers for the quarterly report.

How does this keep you playing content you have already done?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Wildstar is a bigger threat then ESO, and i only expect wildstar to be about as successful as Rift.
    Finally a reasonable expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Basically this. Most WoW players are not MMO players. In fact, I think it's likely that WoW is most people's first MMO. I know that I, personally, have no intention of ever playing another MMO.

WoW exploded because Warcraft/Starcraft were enormously popular and those players brought their friends with them. It was a once-in-a-lifetime success story. It's not likely to happen to another MMO during WoW's lifetime.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    WoD beta starting will likely be their ESO distraction.
    This. Exactly this.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    This. Exactly this.
    Not that they really need one. ESO is dead on arrival. Even their biggest fans think the game is completely uninspired.

Deleted
    I find ESO really bad anyway ;/ Never forced myself to try a few more hours on a beta as that one tbh...

I think that by getting such an early pre-order it might just grab people wallet even before they consider ESO or Wildstar for waiting time till WoD. There are better options on the market atm anyway.

And like someone mentioned before, Wildstar will get more hype then ESO anyway.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They'll do the same thing that they've done for the last 3 dozen MMOs that have been released... Just wait 2 months for people to get bored of those games and come back to WoW. It's a pretty solid strategy.

As someone that was super excited for WildStar I can honestly say that after being in the beta WildStar is garbage and is nothing at all like the promotional images and videos that we all got excited for. ESO will probably last a little bit longer. I doubt Blizzard is sweating either of those games.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    This. The closest current competition wow has is Wildstar.
    I don't know what people see in Wildstar and how it can seriously compete with WoW, despite all the latter's faults.

This is no provocation, please understand this. I honestly don't know, as for all that i've seen Wildstar looks so much like all those promising "new gen" MMO that generated a lot of buzz (mainly the asian ones) then failed to hold ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Not that they really need one. ESO is dead on arrival. Even their biggest fans think the game is completely uninspired.
    I had the misfortune of touching the beta. I'm aware. Still, there's no reason for them not to time it for then if they're capable.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemorter View Post
    hardly anyone will play ESO after 2 months
    i will be and my g/f likely will be - tbh, it'll probably take me 2 months just to level, if not longer.

but on topic, blizz will get the WoD beta out just in time for ESO release - tbh, even if they send me a key for WoD beta (having been in the last 2 betas) i probably wont make much use of it, as i've pointed out in other WoD threads, there's just nothing that excites me about it.

i've played wow for near enough 8 years and it's just time to move on, i enjoyed probably 6 of those 8 years, but the last 2 years i've just got more and more casual as my guild fell apart and tbh they were the only thing that kept me playing.

so long and thanks for all the loot
    <insert witty signature here>