Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Rock-wall Climbing

Hello! Curious to see how many fellow climbers are around here and if the thread will get anywhere. Let's discuss climbing! I mostly climb artificial walls since I don't have access to natural walls where I am, but feel free to join in about whatever if it involves climbing

So what's your favourite aspect of climbing? Why do you love it, what do you love doing? What keeps you coming back despite those pesky finger pulley injuries? Any particular area you're working on improving at the moment? Or do you just enjoy having a go at the rock gym for fun, doesn't really matter what happens?

- I've been climbing for about 2.5 years regularly now. Started more than ten years ago though, but there was a couple of long breaks in between due to life getting in the way. However, now that I have a regular job and a pool of friends to go with, it's my main hobby and the thing I love doing most in the world. The focus I get when I'm working on a hard problem is like nothing else. I can never focus on anything else as hard as I am able to when there's a route that is pissing me off :P Plus, everything "clicks" when I'm on the wall.

- Currently working on improving my footwork in general. I'm naturally a dynamic climber, so my static movements are kinda lagging behind. As a result, for anything above a 6c (5.11a?), I lose strength rapidly as I'm wasting far too much energy move for move. Any good suggestions to train moving smoother?

10+ Year Old Account
    Been doing it on and off when I lived in the carribean when there was stuff to climb. Not so much where I live now....flat as fuck. At my gym they have a new wall tried it out and I remember how fun it can be granted I was in my running shoes while doing it, shitty foot work. After about 3 laps on a path that had some funky angles that was medium difficulty I couldnt close my hands but it was a good work out for after I was done with my reg work out. I try to hit the one at my gym once a week. I want to hit the hard paths but just looking at them they look impossible >< nothing to grab
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do they have any place selling climbing shoes where you are? Can't imagine doing anything that isn't full of juggy holds with running shoes! Especially once you hit the walls with more than 5 degree incline and really start to need your shoes to stick to something. Get a cheap pair to start of with, if you don't feel like investing too much. My shoes aren't expensive and get me pretty far as it is

Deleted
    I got back into climbing at the start of the year after an 8 year break. I'm really enjoying it actually. My technique is beyond awful, I'm horribly out of shape and my stamina doesn't seem to exist any more but with enough time and consistency I hope to get some of it back. I'm trying to build up to being able to go 3 times a week. I'm back to the point where I can climb for 2 hours and not be sore for 3 days afterwards so thats a good sign.

I mainly climb indoors. Theres a few places around me that are quite fun but as I don't have anyone to climb with I need to rely on luck and meet someone there or I just go bouldering.

Its a great alternative to the gym for me. Far more interesting, mentally stimulating and honestly not the same old crap over and over.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhyde1986 View Post
    I got back into climbing at the start of the year after an 8 year break. I'm really enjoying it actually. My technique is beyond awful, I'm horribly out of shape and my stamina doesn't seem to exist any more but with enough time and consistency I hope to get some of it back. I'm trying to build up to being able to go 3 times a week. I'm back to the point where I can climb for 2 hours and not be sore for 3 days afterwards so thats a good sign.

I mainly climb indoors. Theres a few places around me that are quite fun but as I don't have anyone to climb with I need to rely on luck and meet someone there or I just go bouldering.

Its a great alternative to the gym for me. Far more interesting, mentally stimulating and honestly not the same old crap over and over.
    Sounds just like me when I started it up again SO definitely, if you keep at it, it'll get better I promise! Try convincing a few friends to form a stable group, that's what I did. Or make a few friends at your regular climbing place; that's another one of the reasons I like climbing. People are generally quite friendly, and don't mind helping out, especially if you let them know you'll reciprocate.

And yes it's far more interesting than the gym. Even when I'm bouldering alone, I'm having fun, thinking up of ways to clear a problem, or new ways to do something I've already done. If I'm feeling lazy, just doing some "light" stuff is still a workout! Or change things up, do routes with no footholds (just smearing), try being entirely dynamic, or entirely static, or do something that you know is completely out of your range. It's fun just to see how bad advanced routes can get!