Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard's Power Leveling Stance 1 Year Ago

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568378868#18

The above is a link to a Blue Post from a Blizzard rep. explaining how skipping content in this fashion ruins the game.

Technically speaking, if we wanted gold selling or even power leveling to be permitted we could offer it ourselves. After all, we control the virtual currency and we have control over the characters.

We do not because we value the integrity of the game
    and therefore there are certain activities that we prohibited because we feel it is damaging to the game and game environment.

The sale/purchase of gold inflates the market to where nothing is really worth anything. So a low level green item could go for 20k, because the 20k is not worth much.

As for Power leveling (meaning someone plays the character for you), there are many in-game and promotion related options available to help you level, to get a friend into the game, but much of it still needs to be done by you.

People play games, especially MMO's for different reasons: story progression, PvP, 'end game' raiding, social interaction, but there is very little value in any accomplishment if it was simply handed to you.

The simple fact is these practices go against everything we stand for as gamers and frankly that is what it comes down to. Blizzard Entertainment is a company of gamers who create games for folks like us. Gamers.
    Emphasis mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Since when were people not allowed to change their opinions?

I'd imagine the person who said this and the person who made the decision for instant 90s are two different people with different opinions. I agree with what you emphasized though, player->character connection is a pretty important thing for someone to come back. If your characters are all just throwaway 90s you played for 2 hours, chances are you won't play them as often as if it's a char you've played for years and grinded through all kinds of crap.

But sign of the times I suppose, nothing can come fast enough, and nothing seems to lose our attention faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    They cannot. It matters little since OP has an axe to grind. And that axe is aimed at Blizzard.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Aaaaand here come the Blizzard apologists.

There's no such thing as a contradiction when Blizzard says it!

lol We got another Blizzard basher do we? haha. The game has aged my friend, what made sense then doesn't make sense now. Get with the times.

Oh and almost forgot *Here's a lollipop* Next.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the point of your post, exactly? Blizzard is a business and they will do whatever they need to get as much money as possible, whilst making hackers and "Powerlevel sellers" earn as close to zero as possible. There isn't a lot more that needs to be said. You can still use all the services you had a year ago just as easily, and you can also buy it straight from Blizzard to get to the end game.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisholina View Post
    What's the point of your post, exactly? Blizzard is a business and they will do whatever they need to get as much money as possible, whilst making hackers and "Powerlevel sellers" earn as close to zero as possible. There isn't a lot more that needs to be said. You can still use all the services you had a year ago just as easily, and you can also buy it straight from Blizzard to get to the end game.
    The point is what you make it. I'm just posting the link. If you feel like "oh well, they can change their opinion, I'm fine with that" then that's up to you. People of both viewpoints may find this interesting. This could go into a discussion of why they changed their mind. In my opinion that motivator was profit. That doesn't mean I'm forcing that opinion on you.
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying a level 90 is not the same thing as powerleveling because 90 is not the level cap. End of discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Buying a level 90 is not the same thing as powerleveling because 90 is not the level cap. End of discussion.
    It is the level cap, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    The level cap for warmed-over content played by an increasingly sabbatic population.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is pretty funny, if you look at it. I cant say how even blizzard worshipers can look at this and not laugh. They basically went back on their word after a year. If a politician did this, all hell would break loose.

This is just, I laughed
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    100 is the new level cap that will matter. All level 90 content is old now so even in the current state of things buying a 90 doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    this is pretty funny, if you look at it. I cant say how even blizzard worshipers can look at this and not laugh. They basically went back on their word after a year. If a politician did this, all hell would break loose.

This is just, I laughed
    congress does it all the time and they have a 96% re-election rate. maybe it's just proof that people are stupid or they don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    100 is the new level cap that will matter. All level 90 content is old now so even in the current state of things buying a 90 doesn't matter.
    This is a weak argument for blizzard basically doing a 180 over what they called integrity.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

The point is what you make it. I'm just posting the link. If you feel like "oh well, they can change their opinion, I'm fine with that" then that's up to you. People of both viewpoints may find this interesting. This could go into a discussion of why they changed their mind. In my opinion that motivator was profit. That doesn't mean I'm forcing that opinion on you.
    If their motivator was profit, they would have priced it at $20 and the service would have sold like mad. It's priced to be prohibitive, it's not a cash grab.

It's amazing how your views can change in a decade when your multi-billion dollar cash machine begins to sputter a bit. :P

The one posted this was probably someone who liked his game.

Too bad someone else, who sees the money is higher in the decision making department.

It would be bad if you could buy level 100 by the second tier of expansion. Buying 90 in WoD will still make you have to do the longest grind(as MoP will be further nerfed in exp requirements I believe).

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568378868#18

The above is a link to a Blue Post from a Blizzard rep. explaining how skipping content in this fashion ruins the game.

Emphasis mine.
    That is a very good quote. Apologists, realize that when business representatives speak, they typically represent their business plan. This is what they stood for. Yes, they changed their mind just like everyone should be allowed to. Of course, this is affirmation that integrity is no longer their preference.