Thread: easiest spec

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

easiest spec

Hey guy's i've been neglecting my level 85 lock and feel like leveling her, I don't remember much about locks and am looking at icy-viens to see how to play again, but i am curious which spec you master summoners find the easiest to play?

Destro is the easiest spec and also has the best DPS output and is not gear limited. It's top spec from freshly dinged to full HC-WF gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Destro is the easiest spec and also has the best DPS output and is not gear limited. It's top spec from freshly dinged to full HC-WF gear.
    not true. it depends on the fight whether aff or destro is better.
    Streaming high end lock, mage and warrior play in 1080p.http://www.twitch.tv/yoloswagins

Quote Originally Posted by yoloswagginz View Post
    not true. it depends on the fight whether aff or destro is better.
    2 fights in the entire instance are Affliction favored, which are Protectors and Nazgrim.

Destro will still do very good on these fights and Affliction requires good RNG anyway to do well where Destro is very stable and the only RNG part is when your Dark Soul comes up and you wish for ICD trinket to proc ASAP.

Affliction is still very good, but if people want to play the best in nearly all fights, they should be Destro main spec as the last 3 fights(also hardest) favor Destro quite a bit.

I doubt this toon will do more than flex im just wanting an easy spec to have a little fun with. (and solo firelands next expac)

2 fights in the entire instance are Affliction favored, which are Protectors and Nazgrim.

Destro will still do very good on these fights and Affliction requires good RNG anyway to do well where Destro is very stable and the only RNG part is when your Dark Soul comes up and you wish for ICD trinket to proc ASAP.

Affliction is still very good, but if people want to play the best in nearly all fights, they should be Destro main spec as the last 3 fights(also hardest) favor Destro quite a bit.
    that's just not true. protectors, norushen, sha is debatable (since destro dmg is about the same is much more centered on aoeing), iron jugg, dark shamans, nazgrim, malkorok, spoils is debatable, thok and siege is dependent on whether or not u get mines. and in some of these cases there is no comparison. http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Sha_of_Pr...all/14/60/p80/ for the most accurate info. I prefer to use the 80-90th percentile to exclude the cheesing.
    Streaming high end lock, mage and warrior play in 1080p.http://www.twitch.tv/yoloswagins

Deleted
    it greatly depends on the strat used tho, for example on sha of pride with my guild, the dps doesnt touch the reflections at all and have the tanks aoe them down, with this strat afflic would prolly be the best, but if the dps aoes down the reflections then destro will be better but in general i would say that it is about 50/50 between the specs.

bit more on topic, both specs are pretty easy to play, i would suggest you play destro as it isnt as gear dependent as afflic and you will perform better as destro atleast until you reach like ilvl 565 and have a black blood trinket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    it greatly depends on the strat used tho, for example on sha of pride with my guild, the dps doesnt touch the reflections at all and have the tanks aoe them down, with this strat afflic would prolly be the best, but if the dps aoes down the reflections then destro will be better but in general i would say that it is about 50/50 between the specs.
    Why should sha favour affli if your strat contains pure singletarget? The only time affli is stronger on singletarget is when you are able to snapshot all your proccs properly (range is a b*tch sometimes...) AND the bossfight is short enough, so the high burstdamage of affli lasts until the end of the fight, and I wouldn´t say Sha is one of those with 6:30 on worlds fastest kill.

Even if you arn´t allowed to AoE the adds, a raidlead with brain will allow you to put RoF on them to buff your singletarget DPS

10+ Year Old Account
    Destro is by far the easiest spec. It has alot less management than the other 2 specs.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

Quote Originally Posted by yamilonewolf View Post
    I doubt this toon will do more than flex im just wanting an easy spec to have a little fun with. (and solo firelands next expac)
    Get a brewmaster monk put some flex gear on it, and solo firelands this expac.

You might be able to pull it off with Glyph of Demon hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    Why should sha favour affli if your strat contains pure singletarget? The only time affli is stronger on singletarget is when you are able to snapshot all your proccs properly (range is a b*tch sometimes...) AND the bossfight is short enough, so the high burstdamage of affli lasts until the end of the fight, and I wouldn´t say Sha is one of those with 6:30 on worlds fastest kill.

Even if you arn´t allowed to AoE the adds, a raidlead with brain will allow you to put RoF on them to buff your singletarget DPS
    Because of Power of the Titans buff, why do you think Aff has higher parses then destro on the top end for non-cheese parses? If you get Power of the Titans as Aff a couple of times your dps is way better and Power of the Titans is way more useful for Aff than Destro, especially when you get trinket procs during the buff and get a full pandemic snapshot or run AD and save you're second charge to stack during the buff and any other procs.

Stacking and snapshotting PotT makes Aff very viable but yes alot of it is RNG as well due to how helpful that buff is for Aff compared to Destro with snapshotting.
    Last edited by Strifey; 2014-03-12 at 06:25 PM.

Affliction = Managing your DoTs.

Demo = Managing demonic fury and DoTs.

Destro = Set shit on fire.

Destro is definitely the easiest.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Deleted
    I must agree with yoloswagginz here.. With 575 ilvl and a pretty high skill level affli will be better on the majority of soo fights.

I will agree that for leveling and casual play that Destro is the best/easiest. However, I'd like to point out that to optimize it it takes more work than this thread would lead you to believe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifey View Post
    Because of Power of the Titans buff, why do you think Aff has higher parses then destro on the top end for non-cheese parses? If you get Power of the Titans as Aff a couple of times your dps is way better and Power of the Titans is way more useful for Aff than Destro, especially when you get trinket procs during the buff and get a full pandemic snapshot or run AD and save you're second charge to stack during the buff and any other procs.

Stacking and snapshotting PotT makes Aff very viable but yes alot of it is RNG as well due to how helpful that buff is for Aff compared to Destro with snapshotting.
    Ehm.. You dont know how snapshotting works mate

Dots takes a snapshot of your characters current stat increasing BUFFS, dots dynamicaly update with stat enhancing debuffs. Power of the titans is a debuff. Another example is jin'rokhs pool which also gives you a debuff that increases ur dmg (dynamicaly with dots)

Deleted
    I've been playing affi my alt and snap shotting is so anoying.. I get a proc recast dots get another proc recast etc etc .. then some times I think im gonna gamble and not reacast and hope a few procs together and they never do does my melon in. I would imagine it's even worse with the proc meta gem. Meta,cloak tailor enchant.trinket 1, trinket 2 and finally weapon enchant. do you guys soul shard dots on the pull? I have stopped doing it and cast normally because waste of shard I find.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    I've been playing affi my alt and snap shotting is so anoying.. I get a proc recast dots get another proc recast etc etc .. then some times I think im gonna gamble and not reacast and hope a few procs together and they never do does my melon in. I would imagine it's even worse with the proc meta gem. Meta,cloak tailor enchant.trinket 1, trinket 2 and finally weapon enchant. do you guys soul shard dots on the pull? I have stopped doing it and cast normally because waste of shard I find.
    Start with haunt -> use your CD's => apply dots with SB:SW -> Malefic Grasp(1-2x) until all trinks/metagem procs-> apply dots with SB:SW again -> and just as procs are about to fall off and BBoY is at 10 stacks, apply dots with SB:SW again.
    Keep haunt up at the start = profit
    It seems like wasting a lot of shoul shards but with using your CD's, corruption/(or 4pc) should generate enough shoul shards.

Of course it depends on the gear, and trinkets that you have. This is what I do on single target fights as ilvl562 lock. Some people prefer starting with SB:SW, some prefer using Dark soul at the very start, all depends of the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    I will agree that for leveling and casual play that Destro is the best/easiest. However, I'd like to point out that to optimize it it takes more work than this thread would lead you to believe.
    Destro is best described by the phrase "Easy to learn, hard to master". One of the main reasons why I love Destro so much and have (for better or worse) played it the entirety of this x-pac (even during MSV/ToES/etc when aff was pretty much top dog) is that it's extremely difficult to do optimal damage. There are so many decisions that need to be made around when to use your resources that it keeps the spec extremely interesting and fresh even after farming for a long, long time.

I def recommend Destro to newbies who are just starting out playing a lock as both Aff and Demo have a much tougher initial learning curve, but I think it's disingenuous and frankly incorrect to state that Destro is flat out the easiest of the specs. Aff is pretty damn simple in terms of the decisions that need to be made on most fights, compared to Destro.

Destro is the easiest spec out of the 3. Aff is, imo, the most fun. The "decisions" you talk about making destro "hardest" are whether or not to use an ember on low procs or wait til more come up. Outside of incin spamming, it's exactly like aff by watching your procs and not capping on resources (embers, soul shards)
    Last edited by Destroyed; 2014-03-15 at 07:42 AM.

If your guild is in that kind of gear Affli will be best on most fights.