Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    What are you talking about? You can buy the expansion now if you like and then unsubscribe for the summer. Hell, four months would pay for the expansion and more. You'll still have your boost available when you come back if you have the expansion licensed. Or unsubscribe now and buy the expansion in September or whenever. Same deal.
    Well, true, but the important thing is if you buy the expansion now, you're pretty much 100% guaranteed to come back to at least give WoD a try, whereas if you unsubbed for the summer because the release is just too far off for you, you may just forget about it or decide it's not worth giving it a shot.

As a plus, the entire reason that the 90 boost exists is because the primary market for increasing the player base right now is returning players rather than new ones - because other than younger kids that are just getting in to video games, there really aren't many "new" players anymore. If you're interested in MMOs at all, chances are, you've played WoW at some point in the past, so you know what to expect, and you're probably going to be more interested in hopping in to the end game or playing with your friends that still play, rather than soloing your way through 1-4 expansions worth of now-outdated leveling zones that you missed just so you can start playing the "important" part of the game.

And it works. There's at least 4 new players just in my guild that are labeled "<PersonX>'s Friend" in their guild note that I've never met before, and yet are magically level 90. All of those people bought the expansion, so they're going to be back at the start of WoD even if they quit for now after their free month.

It's actually both laughable and pathetic.
    THIS part, however, I totally disagree with. Blizzard has kept WoW on top of the market for almost 10 years, and even with somewhat declined numbers due to its age, it still has 5x more subscribers than any other subscription-based game has ever had at its absolute peak. If they want to keep up the same quality in their development, they have to make it worth the effort, and that means keeping their subscribes to a reasonable level, and they know exactly how to do that.

Blizzard isn't a charity, it's a business. If you're planning on playing WoD, getting a free 90 now is a good deal, no matter if you're a new player, a returning one, or a current player that was going to stick around until WoD anyway.

You enjoy the product, they make money, and things keep running smoothly for the investors. That's the very definition of good business practice.

Deleted
    If you buy digital downloads from Blizzard its more expensive.
    They are just trying to cut other game sellers out of the deal like walmart etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    You enjoy the product, they make money, and things keep running smoothly for the investors. That's the very definition of good business practice.
    It's smart business but i wonder sometimes if its good for the game to have thousands of new 483 geared toons running around.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    It's smart business but i wonder sometimes if its good for the game to have thousands of new 483 geared toons running around.
    I think there is a lot of confusion about this point. First off, it is very doubtful that many of those 483 people are new players, or returning players who played so long ago that they are basically new players.

The vast majority of those 483 people are alts of people who probably have mains who have already done SoO LFR at least, they have also probably all ran the heroic dungeons many times. For heroic dungeons, who cares.. they are 50 ilvls above what the dungeons were designed for.

The only small problem is LFR-ToT this week and next week. These guys are just over the cut-off to get in, and they are probably playing classes they aren´t very good at yet. But the biggest problem is that not many other people are still doint ToT... So basically everyone doing LFR-ToT right now is boosted. In two weeks, when these guys get into SoO-LFR, they will blend into the millions of other players doing SoO with ilvls way above the cut-off... you won´t have an LFR of 25 people, all at the minimum ilvl, all new to their class. You might have a handful per LFR-SoO which is easy to overcome.

So yeah, avoid LFR ToT this week and next. Personally for me, it would be easier to use a map on wowhead, and gather up those 40 or so chests on timeless island, you end up with 496 gear and a few 535 pieces (from burdens), which is exactly what I did with all my alts that weren´t boosted. With a little luck, and maybe an AH purchase, you can get into LFR-SoO without doing ToT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinfoil level: Edward Norton.

Best part is where the introduction of a paid feature has anything to do with banned botting accs xD
    Thanks for the laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    anyone who didnt see this, needs their internet glasses checked. This is pure genious
    Last year is was we got diablo three free to keep us around. This time, they got us to pay to keep us around (not me, though)
    It's actually both laughable and pathetic.
    No, it's just good marketing. I would say good product management but if they had such thing, WoD would be released pretty soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    No, it's just good marketing. I would say good product management but if they had such thing, WoD would be released pretty soon.
    Even if it is good marketing that dosen't stop it being laughable and pathetic from a consumer prospective.

It seems to me too many people can forgive Blizzard anything based on "they are a business not a charity". That's all find and dandy for them but people are entitled to complain in they consider it a crap deal for them personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Even if it is good marketing that dosen't stop it being laughable and pathetic from a consumer prospective.

It seems to me too many people can forgive Blizzard anything based on "they are a business not a charity". That's all find and dandy for them but people are entitled to complain in they consider it a crap deal for them personally.
    Ikr, especially in light of the emotional pain involved in being forced to buy this product 6 months before release with a gun to your head. I mean, I still wake up bathed in sweat and get the shakes sometimes. I can still hear them screaming in my ear..."PAY IT! PAY IT, MAGGOT, OR ELSE!"....

Oh wait, it's just a prepurchase and noone gives a crap because every company offers these. Move along.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Ikr, especially in light of the emotional pain involved in being forced to buy this product 6 months before release with a gun to your head. I mean, I still wake up bathed in sweat and get the shakes sometimes. I can still hear them screaming in my ear..."PAY IT! PAY IT, MAGGOT, OR ELSE!"....

Oh wait, it's just a prepurchase and noone gives a crap because every company offers these. Move along.
    Well to say "no one gives a crap" isn't exactly true. Don't worry, you keep paying the cash, Blizzard will keep taking it - after all every company does it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    The point I think everybody is missing is "why pay full price right now for an expansion that won't release until fall/Xmas (6+ months)"?
    It's almost as if Blizz knew there would be a massive delay that could hurt subs, so they wanted to guarantee sales right now.
    Exactly! just my thoughts... this plus D3 RoS Sales = Awsome 1. Quarter for Blizzard numbers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Well to say "no one gives a crap" isn't exactly true. Don't worry, you keep paying the cash, Blizzard will keep taking it - after all every company does it.
    You seem to be missing the point entirely, but that much is obvious. There is nothing to "forgive" Blizzard for. They are offering a prepurchase, they're not "stealing your money", you are getting the expac for it plus goodies like an early boost.

Please show me where:
    a) you are being forced to buy the expansion now
    b) you are somehow at a disadvantage for doing so and
    c) they are promising ANYTHING that they aren't delivering on for your money.

If you don't like the offer - don't buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mephismo View Post
    If you buy digital downloads from Blizzard its more expensive.
    They are just trying to cut other game sellers out of the deal like walmart etc
    I feel the same. There's no printing costs for digital download, and yet they sell it to you for full retail + printing costs. That's why Steam is popular because they don't jack you by not including the print costs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohreeree View Post
    sorry for the confusion i was trying not to post a wall of text. TL : DR considering the other thread quoting their stance on pay to level a year ago I believe the lvl 90 boost(being released this early) is at least partially influenced by the recent ban-wave.

To further iterate on how little a lot of what i said was fleshed out. There are a lot of standard ways that most people that hack wow do things. A lot of this leads to the majority of them coming back if offered the right incentive, but also being less likely to ever bot again as most "casual" botters have extra accounts on the same bnet account that got banned.
    And this required a new topic why? As if there aren't dozens already?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I feel the same. There's no printing costs for digital download, and yet they sell it to you for full retail + printing costs. That's why Steam is popular because they don't jack you by not including the print costs
    Wrong. I've paid 100% full 'retail' price for many games on Steam. AC4... still $60. Bioshock Infinite (when it first came out)... still $60. All the Call of Duty games (again, when they launched)... all $60.

Hell I've seen PC games (very few mind you, but the point still stands) cheaper in Wal-mart than on Steam. LOTR: WITN for example, I saw in Wal-mart for around $14 when it was still $20ish through Steam.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.