Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Name is unavailable but not taken?

So, I tried to make a new toon & it says Name is unavailable but when I try to armory search it, no one on my server has a toon named that?

Is there another reason why the name would not be taken and says unavailable? Its not a bad name or nothing, other people from other servers have it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe character under level 10? it wont show on armory then

Deleted
    Level one char has it reserved and you cant see chars under level ten on armoury.

Make a ticket and ask the GM to change the name :E Worth a try

Under level ten alt from 2004 to now or it's a name from lore or its got special characters.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

The name can be on a level 1 character that has never been used, just holding the name.

As others have stated, likely a level 1. Players under 10 don't appear on the armory and players use level 1s to hold names or as names for bank toons.

Contact a GM if you really want it. If the character is inactive, they'll often free up the name.

Deleted
    Is your name related to in-game characters?

Type the name into the search, should show low levels.

I've been in the same situation before. I searched for a name I wanted on the armory, and nothing came up. I ticketed a GM about it and they said that the character with that name hadn't been played in a very long time, but it was on an active account, so they could not free up the name for me.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it even has to be under level 10. At some point, toons that haven't been played in a while drop out of the armory until they're logged in again. I have one of those myself. No, I'm not telling . She's still there when I check the realm but doesn't show up in the armory and she's well past level 10. I'm well aware that at this point she might lose her name if someone wants it badly enough. So be it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Ticket a GM, if a inactive account lv1 has the name, the GM will change it, i know i got lucky

Actually Moana, as somebody above stated, if your account remains active, GMs will not touch the name of an unplayed alt, no matter how long you don't play. (I mean, how would you explain to a paying a customer they've lost the right to a fairly named character when their fees are up to date? Even then, for them top consider freeing up a name, I'm pretty sure there account needs to have been in-active for a long time.

Given that somebody could always resub, I'm pretty sure they'd be reluctant to take the name from any account that's categorized as having a chance to resub at some point.

What I'm a little curious over, is if you DID lose your name and then resubbed...would you have a case for gaining it back?
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    My missus once got the name Stinky for an undead warlock, she had it levelled all the way up to 50 odd, totally active account & char. She logged in one day and it had been flagged for a rename.... she contacted a GM with 'erm what's going on?' she was told the name was a characters main name who transferred off the realm was away for several months and came back and wanted his name back........ -.- say whut.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't think it even has to be under level 10. At some point, toons that haven't been played in a while drop out of the armory until they're logged in again. I have one of those myself. No, I'm not telling . She's still there when I check the realm but doesn't show up in the armory and she's well past level 10. I'm well aware that at this point she might lose her name if someone wants it badly enough. So be it.
    I just searched for a friend of mine who hasnt played since 2009. His character still comes up in the search but when you click on it it says "oops character not found" also does the same for some of my other friends who have left more recently.

type the same name with áôò etc, problem solved

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Goit View Post
    My missus once got the name Stinky for an undead warlock, she had it levelled all the way up to 50 odd, totally active account & char. She logged in one day and it had been flagged for a rename.... she contacted a GM with 'erm what's going on?' she was told the name was a characters main name who transferred off the realm was away for several months and came back and wanted his name back........ -.- say whut.
    I disagree with what the GM did but it is within their power to do such things. Imo that original player lost the right to the name when they server transferred, especially since it ties specific names to accounts for a certain amount of time even if the character no longer exists on that server.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's either:
    -Taken by a too low level character
    -A lore name
    -An insulting name (?)

Deleted
    as others said, under level 10 wont show on armory, so try adding the character to friends list and check if its taken

As previously mentioned by someone, submit a ticket to a GM asking for the name to be released. I've done this a few times to get names I've wanted but others have had unused.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Just an FYI some names can't be removed apparently even when not shown in Armoury.
    Had two names that I wanted Jasmine or Ariel. They unlocked Jasmine (which was a level 4 warlock shown on Armoury). Ariel which was not shown in Armoury was not removed. Though multiple people have the name.

Just open up a ticket (prefer in-game) and wait it out and see if they can unlock it for you