Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    More power to them. If you really concerned about the caliber of players your guild is recruiting you can check for achieves and time stamps.
    Who my guild is recruiting? Are you just trying to be obtuse? That has nothing to do with that I'm talking about.

Not everyone in the game is raiding heroics in a 25 man guild like it's a full time job. So if you pug, you pug with these brand newbies.

Let them start at 1 and have it get progressively harder as they learn. I don't have any ill will toward new players. When I started WoW I was terrible at PC games. I learned a ton between 1-70 or whatever it was back then. I was a completely different player by the end of it. People say "oh, you don't learn anything from 1-90 anyway", but they're looking at it from the perspective of a serious gamer. I don't think it's fair to the new players or the old players to just throw inexperienced players right into the mix.
    Last edited by Randec; 2014-03-16 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    We could potentially have a bunch of people who've never played games in general buying insta 90's. WoW could be one of their first games. You don't even have to know WASD and how to move around and here's a character at level cap.
    The vast majority of people using it will be veteran players who just want an alt, or people returning from an absence to the game (so they may be a bit rusty, but they at least know how to move around).

You're basically talking about a group of players that are not only new to the game (and the genre in general), but also have no friends at max level that can teach them how to play -- and yet despite all that, for some crazy reason, still pre-ordered WoD 6 months in advance, despite never playing the first 5 expansions AND decide to skip out on 90 levels of content that they've never seen before to rush to an end game that they know nothing about.

... I'd be absolutely dumbfounded if I was told this group was even 0.1% of the boosted 90s.

Genuinely new players are MUCH more likely to begin playing when the expansion hits. When that happens, level 90 will no longer be the cap, there will be an intro quest series to ease people in to playing, and there will still be 10 levels of content for them to go through and gearing at max level to be done before they can join in on raids and such. Opinion of all this is going to massive turn when level 90 is an expansion behind us.

The tiny fraction of a percentage of people that fall into that category for now may be an unfortunate side effect, but it's an acceptable loss when you consider the real purpose of offering the 90 boost now while 90 is still the max level -- which is to get former players back in to the game (even if briefly) and offer them (and current subscribers) incentive to pre-order WoD so that they're sure to come back when it's released, even if they temporarily cancel their subscription between now and then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Aaaand here come the haters. Because everything is black and white. But..sure..go ahead..pay a levelling service.
    The internet will complain about anything Blizzard does.

Blizzard could find a cure for cancer and people would complain.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Saying this, is like saying we should all still be driving black cars made by Ford because they originally only came in black. Someone at Ford changed their minds and the company offered cars of different colors. Basically... things change, people make new decisions, honestly just learn to deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    The vast majority of people using it will be veteran players who just want an alt, or people returning from an absence to the game (so they may be a bit rusty, but they at least know how to move around).

You're basically talking about a group of players that are not only new to the game (and the genre in general), but also have no friends at max level that can teach them how to play -- and yet despite all that, for some crazy reason, still pre-ordered WoD 6 months in advance, despite never playing the first 5 expansions AND decide to skip out on 90 levels of content that they've never seen before to rush to an end game that they know nothing about.

... I'd be absolutely dumbfounded if I was told this group was even 0.1% of the boosted 90s.

Genuinely new players are MUCH more likely to begin playing when the expansion hits. When that happens, level 90 will no longer be the cap, there will be an intro quest series to ease people in to playing, and there will still be 10 levels of content for them to go through and gearing at max level to be done before they can join in on raids and such. Opinion of all this is going to massive turn when level 90 is an expansion behind us.

The tiny fraction of a percentage of people that fall into that category for now may be an unfortunate side effect, but it's an acceptable loss when you consider the real purpose of offering the 90 boost now while 90 is still the max level -- which is to get former players back in to the game (even if briefly) and offer them (and current subscribers) incentive to pre-order WoD so that they're sure to come back when it's released, even if they temporarily cancel their subscription between now and then.
    That's all speculation and assumption on your part. Putting the number of players who start WoW without much videgame skill at 0.1% is surely incorrect, though. Even under normal circumstances it's a more significant portion of the playerbase, and now especially with the incentive of having everything handed to you.
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Because Blizzard would want you to pay to receive the cure, then pay them a sum every month to continue receiving the cure. Then pay extra every couple of years to get an upgrade to the cure. While also paying extra if you wanted the cure to work when you moved house.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Yeah but you would be dead before they release it.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Because Blizzard would want you to pay to receive the cure, then pay them a sum every month to continue receiving the cure. Then pay extra every couple of years to get an upgrade to the cure. While also paying extra if you wanted the cure to work when you moved house.
    And people would defend that by saying "Well it makes your life easier, but you don't have to use it!". Some people hate on everything Blizzard does, and some people defend them on everything.

Either way, this is a pretty funny complete 180 from Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonon View Post
    Some people hate on everything Blizzard does, and some people defend them on everything..
    So true. Blizzard gets criticized harshly for every move they make and so legitimate complaints like get lost in a sea of QQ and disregarded.

And on the other end of the spectrum, there are many loyal fanboys willing to defend any decision they make regardless of reason.

According to many people in this thread - it is okay to be devoid of integrity. Being a flaky asshole is acceptable.

People keep using the whole "but it's 100 levels, and that much could turn new players off from trying the game."

Leveling from 1-60 back in Vanilla took twice as long as leveling 1-90 today, yet new players still tried the game. Even 1-70 during TBC took longer, yet new players continued to flood in. It will be no different for 1-100. Or 1-110, and so on. If people want to try this game, they will.

The amount of levels added over the years has had very little impact on the amount of time required to hit a new level cap when an expansion launches. If the leveling rate had remained consistent since WoW's first expansion, then we'd have a problem. But it has not.

Blizzard has done everything to help speed-up the leveling process; from boosting XP gains, nerfing the amount of XP required to hit max level, adding heirlooms, implementing Recruit-A-Friend and completely streamlining the entire leveling process.

The whole "leveling takes too long" excuse just doesn't work anymore and it hasn't for a very long time. A free level 90 with the expansion would have been a great gesture of appreciation from Blizzard and a way to say "thanks for supporting us all these years, this one's on us!".

But, to turn it into a service that people can pay for as often as they want was completely unnecessary and I fear for what it will do to the game in the long-run.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    We could potentially have a bunch of people who've never played games in general buying insta 90's. WoW could be one of their first games. You don't even have to know WASD and how to move around and here's a character at level cap.

If you would go back to 2005 and tell everyone one day Blizzard will sell toons at cap that you could take to a island where epics just fall out of chests and you quest for them, people would call you a troll.
    You WANTED to learn. Look at today. People need to go 1-90 for the whole leveling experience (at least they did) and there's a glut of terrible players. In this instance, there are two kinds of players. Those who want to learn and those who don't. Those who want to learn to play optimally will do so whether they are boosted or not. Leveling doesn't suddenly make you a better player as demonstrated by the glut of terrible level 90's. It's will power, the want to learn.

If ANYTHING, I'd feel like the leveling process makes people more lazy. They get their first few skills, use those, then as they get new skills they ignore them and just use those. If you've deigned at all to step into LFR there are players who do less DPS than my auto attack damage. I look at their damage break down and it's one spell. Leveling taught them nothing. Players presented with all their skills will be forced to look up which skills to use... or if they are lazy they will pick a random one and use only that one.

Lazy players are lazy, and the leveling experience will not change that.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I'm saving this thread for everytime somebody says "Blizz has said they'd NEVER sell Weapons or Equipment!" - and then I'd just copy/paste it here.

As others have said, what Blizz says can change at the drop of a hat - particularly if they have shareholders barking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'm saving this thread for everytime somebody says "Blizz has said they'd NEVER sell Weapons or Equipment!" - and then I'd just copy/paste it here.
    Transmog hats. You're way behind on that one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Transmog hats. You're way behind on that one.
    Actual gear, as in current tier raiding gear or PvP gear.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    A free level 90 with the expansion would have been a great gesture of appreciation from Blizzard and a way to say "thanks for supporting us all these years, this one's on us!".

But, to turn it into a service that people can pay for as often as they want was completely unnecessary and I fear for what it will do to the game in the long-run.
    The whole reason they added it to the store is because, by giving you the free one with the expansion, they already gave you a way to buy more. All you had to do was buy another copy of the game, and then transfer your "free" 90 off to your main account when you were done. It cost a bit more ($85, assuming MoP will eventually be part of the battlechest), but you also get 30 days of recruit-a-friend accelerated leveling out of the deal (or 90 days and a mount if you feel like paying for 2 months of gametime on your new account).

The service was added to just be a less-hassle way of doing the same thing.

As for Vanilla comparison - the game was new, the design was radically different, and the market was different. There was no "outdated" content back then, and the end game was much less of a focus. These days, the end game IS the game, and each patch is more than just a new raid zone that opened up for no reason that you can go look at if you feel like it - they have new content that progresses the storyline, so there's a sense that the world has a running storyline, with the most recent chapter being the most active and most important.

A boost-to-60 would not have made sense in TBC. Boost-to-90 DOES make sense in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    lol We got another Blizzard basher do we? haha. The game has aged my friend, what made sense then doesn't make sense now. Get with the times.
    That blue post was from a year ago. The game hasn't changed much in 12months. Pay attention next time so you don't look as dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    100 is the new level cap that will matter. All level 90 content is old now so even in the current state of things buying a 90 doesn't matter.
    Well, it matters to those of us forced to share a world with the idiots playing these characters. Try running SOO LFR - thanks to Blizz's low standards, many of these selfish players are already queuing as tanks and heals when they don't have the proper gear or skills to do so. My first and last LFR in months was yesterday; both tanks and all but one healer were clearly new to their class - it was the worst I've ever seen an LFR and explains how my DPS had an insta-queue. We barely managed Immerseus, and despite fully 3/4 of the raid swapping by the 2nd pull for the second fight, the raid was still filled with people who didn't know what they were doing (more so than I've ever seen by far), and I was forced to leave. I commented on the bad experience, and the rest of my guildies were shocked I'd even attempt an LFR with all the fresh 90s trashing everything.

Just prior to the WoD pre-sale, I signed up for 6 month renewals on both my accounts, but between hearing WoD is as much as 9 months away and all the novice players selfishly queuing for tank/heals with zero skills, I now deeply regret it. Blizzard would never refund my renewal, but I'm thinking about calling Visa and having them get my money back.

Blizzard is going to make people do Proving Grounds Silver to play heroic dungeons or run LFR in WoD when they've had at least ten levels to play, but thought nothing of dumping shiny new, completely untrained/untested level 90s on us? It's total BS.

guess its good they are not allowing power leveling so someone else plays my toon to max..... instant 90 =! power leveling. Nor is raiding current tier being handed to you as you need some gear for TI or older raids. And again no one else plays your toon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    According to many people in this thread - it is okay to be devoid of integrity. Being a flaky asshole is acceptable.
    Changing one's mind or stance, be it an individual or a corporation, is not a negative trait. It's this mindset of yours that's what causing this country to stagnate.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"