Mounts, the Good, the Bad, the Boring

Looking back almost 10 years later, I'm wondering if Blizzard didn't put much thought into mounts, and flying. Basically once you have your first ground and flying mount you don't real need to buy another one. Most players like myself just get them because they look cool or to collect them for the achievement. But I was wondering is that all that mounts are good for, Cosmetic Value?

I still remember back in Vanilla when you had to level all the way to Level 40 to get access to your first mount. And in my case I couldn't afford it until just before I hit Level 60. So I did plenty of walking around Azeroth, which made the would feel huge. It was unique experience but one I'm glad I will never have to repeat again.

But then we come to flying mounts. Flying from place to place is very fast, convent, and Oh so BORING! If its a long flight I'll get up stretch, grab a drink, comeback to my computer and find I've over flown my destination (its happened more times than I can count). And to top it all off I can fly 24/7/365 if I cared to with few limits (zones that restrict flying).

Flying is just too easy and too convenient. And before you jump to the conclusion that it should be more expensive forget that Idea, the price tag is not the problem. Flying should be like any other resource (Mana, Rage, Focus, Energy) it should have to be managed.

I could see Ground mounts having some time of stamina bar. Your riding a Level 60 ground mount, when the stamina bar is full you would be moving at top speed but when the bar is empty you speed drops to that of a Level 40 mount. At this point you would have to switch to a fresh mount or stop and take a rest. It would also make every mount you have useful, for something other than looking cool. Plus you could add a speed boost function like gallop, which would increase your speed above 100% but at a cost of more stamina. And for ground mounts I think it would fine it each mount had its own stamina pool.

As for flying mounts the same system could be used however I would place more restriction on flying . Like a shared stamina pool with all you flying mounts. Or in my personal opinion, I think that a flight time of lets say 2-3 hour per day per character would be perfect. This would make you use you flying a lot more sparingly for those short trips, like from the Bank to the Auction house (I'm lazy i do it quite often). But with a limited amount of flight time I would have to decide is it worth it to fly for those short trips.

Terresta
    Children of Azeroth
    Ravencrest -US

Mod-note: Took my freedom to lock this thread, it is a topic we all understand and wish to speak up about, but there's already threads about this topic. If you cannot find it in the general discussion section, then within the Warlords of Draenor discussion section. Else our search feature is quite a good tool. Hope you'll bring your discussion into the same field as the others, so you can all share your views, thoughts and ideas.

Thank you, have a good morning, day, afternoon, evening and goodnight - hope I hit all time zones, and hope you all stay well!

- Gehco
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-03-17 at 02:59 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll make something very clear to you I love flying with all my well self whatever fuck lol but if you do not want to fly don't fucking bring me into your world, Do not drag me of what you like. If you wish to use a ground mount all the time go do it I'm not stopping you.

But please don't drag others to it because quite frankly I like choices.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    get a cool ground mount and use it, i always do my trips in SW on TCG mounts just to let people know who's collecting their golds :P

15+ Year Old Account
    2-3 hours a day?! how can you spend that much time actually flying to locations every day? Unless you make your gold as a full-time taxi service this wouldn't affect anything at all.

I don't think there's anything wrong with ground mounts, because while you're moving faster you're still a part of the world, instead of just spectating it from above. You're restricted by the environment, in danger of other players and mobs, seeing the world as you're meant to.

Flying however, as convenient as it might be, feels to me like "admin mode" in other games. You're in no danger, not limited by environment, not a part of the world, basically just a spectator.

Just my opinion of course, but i think the game suffers a lot from the current implementation of flying mounts. At least at the start on TBC when epic flying was really rare, the 60% speed meant it added another dimension to the game without allowing people to completely skip and ignore parts of the game (because ground travel was still faster, so it was a trade-off)

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
    I'll make something very clear to you I love flying with all my well self whatever fuck lol but if you do not want to fly don't fucking bring me into your world, Do not drag me of what you like. If you wish to use a ground mount all the time go do it I'm not stopping you.

I really can't get around people that honestly believe flying is a choice. It's like saying getting enchants, gems and reforging is a choice, sure you can choose to not do it, but you're not gonna get very far or be very competetive. And online games are very much about just that. If it was a single player game, sure, it would be a choice, like fast traveling is in Skyrim. But not in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post

We're having a race from New York to Los Angeles. Some people are doing it for fun, others are doing it for business, but everyone enjoys winning the race regardless of why they participate.

Driving in a car would be a much better experience than flying in a plane. It would take more skill to win, you would see more sights, you would have more experiences along the way and you might even interact with other people more.

However, planes exist, are much quicker and there are no rules against flying in a plane. It is also practically impossible to win the race by driving when other people are flying.

So everyone just flies.

To drive is to have a better experience, but it also ensures you are always behind everyone who flies and it ensures that you can never win.

So everyone just flies.

The "just-use-a-ground-mount" argument is ridiculous and everyone who pulls it out knows it. How many people enjoy losing, even for a better experience? When the point of the game to some degree is to win, people will not want to lose no matter how fantastic the experience may be.

So the solution is to make the method of winning also the best experience. This is exactly what no-flying in WoW will do.

The End.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    We're having a race from New York to Los Angeles. Some people are doing it for fun, others are doing it for business, but everyone enjoys winning the race regardless of why they participate.

Driving in a car would be a much better experience than flying in a plane. It would take more skill to win, you would see more sights, you would have more experiences along the way and you might even interact with other people more.

However, planes exist, are much quicker and there are no rules against flying in a plane. It is also practically impossible to win the race by driving when other people are flying.

So everyone just flies.

To drive is to have a better experience, but it also ensures you are always behind everyone who flies and it ensures that you can never win.

So everyone just flies.

The "just-use-a-ground-mount" argument is ridiculous and everyone who pulls it out knows it. How many people enjoy losing, even for a better experience? When the point of the game to some degree is to win, people will not want to lose no matter how fantastic the experience may be.

So the solution is to make the method of winning also the best experience. This is exactly what no-flying in WoW will do.

The End.
    The whole point is that flying in WoW is _not a race. It is like claiming that we should ban planes because cars can give a better experience.
    Who cares? People want to get from point A to point B because they want to DO something at point B. By forcing the journey to be longer, you are wasting their time.

Particularly once they've made the same journey 30 times over.

You want to use ground mounts? Good for you. Let others fly if they want to.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

THIS.. THREAD.. AGAIN...

That poor horse beaten and beaten long after it's been killed.. several times..

Isn't there a GIANT thread about flying mounts and nostalgia of vanilla mounts somewhere in here?.. Do we need another one? Another person CONVINCED that they had briliant, new idea to start a conversation?..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

I have both a ground and a flying mount keybound. When I'm in a dungeon or battleground etc, I use the ground one. Elsewhere I use the flying one.

I'm looking forward to less flying in WoD, but even now, I make sure to use both types of mount. And I regularly change which is my mount of the month, so most of them get a turn.
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    The whole point is that flying in WoW is _not a race. It is like claiming that we should ban planes because cars can give a better experience.
    Who cares? People want to get from point A to point B because they want to DO something at point B. By forcing the journey to be longer, you are wasting their time.

Particularly once they've made the same journey 30 times over.
    By extension you could argue everyone is given a blink with no cool down and chooses where they port to, to save time.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    By extension you could argue everyone is given a blink with no cool down and chooses where they port to, to save time.
    The point of the world is to be seen; not struggled through everywhere you want to go. Teleports null and void the role of the world; flying mounts do not, as you can see every little pretty tree from the air easy as you please.

That being said, teleports are incredibly helpful in limited implementation. Frankly, I'd rather take a mage port from dalaran to shrine of the seven stars than run from dalaran ALL the way through crystalsong, through Dragonblight, to borean tundra, wait for the ship to Stormwind, wait for some other ship to Pandaria, then run from Jade forest into valley of the four winds, climb the stairway, take the little boat into kun'lai, run through kun'lai, into vale of eternal blossoms, through vale, and finally to shrine. That's literally an hour's worth of traveling time in which you're not doing anything but running the same rutted path you've seen a dozen times before.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-03-16 at 10:53 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Took my freedom to lock this thread, it is a topic we all understand and wish to speak up about, but there's already threads about this topic. If you cannot find it in the general discussion section, then within the Warlords of Draenor discussion section. Else our search feature is quite a good tool. Hope you'll bring your discussion into the same field as the others, so you can all share your views, thoughts and ideas.

Thank you, have a good morning, day, afternoon, evening and goodnight - hope I hit all time zones, and hope you all stay well!

- Gehco
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..