Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it wrong to not help someone soloing a rare because u want it for ur self?

Long story short,i was in vale of eternal blossom passing by when i saw a shaman trying to solo a rare,i wanted the loot (the bag with ores/cloths/etc) so i was standing there watching him die.He used his anhk as well and i didnt tried to tag it after the reset.Then a rage storm of wispers came,calling me d*ck,scummer and other beautiful words cause i wasnt helping him.
    Do u think u HAVE to help someone because u are the same faction?
    Personaly i dont think so,if he wanted help,he had to invite me to a party.

Deleted
    You don't have to. It' is fair for wait and try for yourself.
    His bad behaviour was unjustified, he was just frustrated. It happened to me many times someone was waiting for me to fail or success and it is ok.
    On the other hand when out in the world and I see people in PVP I help my folks.

Deleted
    No, I don't think that's wrong. You don't have to take care of everyone in the game, just follow your own goals. Of course if you ever want to be nice and make a friend you should help.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think it would have been nice of you to help him out, it doesn't make you a dick for not helping. I'm sure we've all seen someone with a flat tire on the side of the freeway and just kept on driving, that doesn't make us all bad people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearnor View Post
    Long story short,i was in vale of eternal blossom passing by when i saw a shaman trying to solo a rare,i wanted the loot (the bag with ores/cloths/etc) so i was standing there watching him die.He used his anhk as well and i didnt tried to tag it after the reset.Then a rage storm of wispers came,calling me d*ck,scummer and other beautiful words cause i wasnt helping him.
    Do u think u HAVE to help someone because u are the same faction?
    Personaly i dont think so,if he wanted help,he had to invite me to a party.
    Sounds like he wanted your help but didn't want to share the loot with you. You did nothing wrong. It's actually the polite choice to make in such situations. If he bit more than he can chew, his turn at killing the rare mob will be over, and then you can give it a shot.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

I think that's a pretty common practice nowadays, especially with warbringers.

Every time I'm soloing one, there's a bunch of people hovering above me, kind of like vultures, just waiting for me to die. Unfortunately for them, that never happens and once the rare goes down to 20%, they start with "inv pls" spam.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always try to get them killed if the rare drops something I want

Deleted
    I often wait to see if the person kills the rare or not. If they fail, I kindly ask them, would they like to group for it, if they say no I let them have another shot. If they die I again I take it for myself.

Did the guy asked for help in general chat before engage the mob? No? Then he didn't want any help, he was sure he could manage to solo it, and didn't want to share the loot. He failed and paid the price. If you just waited without trying to reset the mob and steal the tag, then you did nothing wrong.

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. If someone isn't good enough to solo a rare (all of which are easily soloable by anyone in any gear) then they don't really deserve it. I'd take it immediately after the person died and kill it myself. Trying to help others without benefiting myself, or in this case even hurting my own goals, is foolish and a waste of time anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Trying to help others without benefiting myself, <snip>, is foolish and a waste of time anyway.
    Can't say I agree with that kind of life view. But I understand that the rules are different ingame and online.

If it was something I really really wanted then i'd do the same but generally if I see someone struggling with a rare or anything else I stop and help them...

About three quarters of the time when I do help I don't get a thanks and think why did I even bother helping this ungrateful git.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-03-26 at 09:12 AM.

Deleted
    Prob going to get infracted but this is relevant...

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much all I do on WoW is help other people, I love it, And as such, even though I will always help someone killing a rare, even if it's a rare I'm farming myself, I also play on a PvP server, and will attack Horde I see, so if I see a Horde fighting a rare I'll either wait next to them, or if they look like they need help I'll help them, then after I'll go bear, slowly walk back, and /ready, give them time to heal.

But I don't think what you did is wrong at all, No-one has any obligation to help, and, if he did want it, he could have tried to invite you, it's wrong to expect help, without wanting to share the loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always invite people otherwise i ask them to invite me and then i pass on everything cuz i dont care about loots
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I help kill rares if it's a lower level (level 87 killing vot4w rare for example)., takes like 5 seconds to drop down, kick its arse then fly off again.

I once got told "only fags play druids" because a warrior died on a rare and I dropped in and killed it. I didn't even wait, I just happened to fly by and notice him die so tagged it.

Typically I glance at mob hp, players current hp, players max hp (to gauge gear and skill levels), then usually end up flying off, as they'd have to be terribad to die.

How do you die against a rare lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Typically I glance at mob hp, players current hp, players max hp (to gauge gear and skill levels), then usually end up flying off, as they'd have to be terribad to die.
    I was actually a little surprised when fighting some rares in MoP as most of them have some sort of ability that will one-shot you if you're not paying attention.

I kind of miss elite mobs actually requiring a group to kill. I made a ton of friends from group quests back in the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything I can think of that would be likely to kill you is easily avoidable. Tornado and blade flurry from mantid, cleave and void clouds from mogu etc. Hardest one is probably rain torrent from Jinyu if you don't have a stun, as some of the drops can be tricky to anticipate, especially on the indoors mob at lake murkgill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    How do you die against a rare lol.
    I used to die to the mantid ones because I would be too high to realize that the "bladeflurry" hes casting is not like mine and it would 3 shot me.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.