Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Incentive to travel to dungeons with groups..

So lots of people hate the LFD tool, and for good reason, so why not give people a reason to actually make groups and travel to said dungeons within their servers?

You can up the amount of Valor you earn, maybe add chances for more drops per boss, who knows? Just something decent to make up for the trouble of creating a group and travel time.

I think this would be a good change for some players who really want that old-school feel back, would get more people out in the world instead of queuing in Orgrimmar and Stormwind all day and maybe even bring the servers communities that much closer.

I've been leveling up many alts in preparation for WoD and the people in LFD are just plain terrible. You have idiots running ahead pulling the whole dungeon and complaining when they die, tanks acting like pompous asses with healers a close second. This kind of behavior is barely punished and just makes the game not very enjoyable. I really think if you were partying with players on your server everyone would act more decently towards one another since you'll most likely run into these players more often than the ones in LFD.

Now you might say "you can make premade parties now, so do that" and yes that true but not many people go through the hassle because there's barely any benefit to do it right now. So I think the extra rewards balance out for the lack of convenience that the LFD tool provides.

This way I think the people who rely on the LFD tool due to time constraints or plain laziness, whichever they may fall under, will still have the convenience of the tool and the players who put in the extra effort to make parties and fly to the dungeon will also have that option without feeling like they're wasting their time due to the increased rewards.

It also seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement either.

So yeah, don't see too many flaws with this but that's where you guys come in. Thoughts?

edit - You might say you could just get guildies to help but you can't always rely on guildies alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    they will take care of this on WoD. They will not bother with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantupino View Post
    they will take care of this on WoD. They will not bother with it now.
    They actually said something about this? Guess I missed that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're incentivizing creating premade groups; however, they are not incentivizing the actual trip to walk there. They're up'ing the VP gain per person you have in your premade, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    They're incentivizing creating premade groups; however, they are not incentivizing the actual trip to walk there. They're up'ing the VP gain per person you have in your premade, I believe.
    Well considering they're removing VP and JP, I'd have to say that isn't true.

I think it's a great idea. It would definitely help get people out in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I think it's a great idea. It would definitely help get people out in the world.
    Soooo much world PvP in Blackrock Mountain...or at the gate to get into Strat UD. Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Wouldn't work with me, I don't like dungeons, prefer to get in and leave quick once I egret my justice/valour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poppinXans View Post
    Well considering they're removing VP and JP, I'd have to say that isn't true.
    They haven't said they're removing them, but streamlining, so we have no idea. But here is the info:

Blizzard would prefer if you pugged and made new friends rather than use random matchmaking, so they've added a new mechanic called "stacking the deck" which will earn you bonus valor for every member of your group who isn't added via random matchmaking. Random matchmaking via dungeon finder and raid finder will still exist, of course.
    Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/wa...zzc/#continued

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanos27 View Post
    So lots of people hate the LFD tool, and for good reason, so why not give people a reason to actually make groups and travel to said dungeons within their servers?

You can up the amount of Valor you earn, maybe add chances for more drops per boss, who knows? Just something decent to make up for the trouble of creating a group and travel time.

I think this would be a good change for some players who really want that old-school feel back, would get more people out in the world instead of queuing in Orgrimmar and Stormwind all day and maybe even bring the servers communities that much closer.

I've been leveling up many alts in preparation for WoD and the people in LFD are just plain terrible. You have idiots running ahead pulling the whole dungeon and complaining when they die, tanks acting like pompous asses with healers a close second. This kind of behavior is barely punished and just makes the game not very enjoyable. I really think if you were partying with players on your server everyone would act more decently towards one another since you'll most likely run into these players more often than the ones in LFD.

Now you might say "you can make premade parties now, so do that" and yes that true but not many people go through the hassle because there's barely any benefit to do it right now. So I think the extra rewards balance out for the lack of convenience that the LFD tool provides.

This way I think the people who rely on the LFD tool due to time constraints or plain laziness, whichever they may fall under, will still have the convenience of the tool and the players who put in the extra effort to make parties and fly to the dungeon will also have that option without feeling like they're wasting their time due to the increased rewards.

It also seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement either.

So yeah, don't see too many flaws with this but that's where you guys come in. Thoughts?

edit - You might say you could just get guildies to help but you can't always rely on guildies alone.
    edit, having read about stacking the deck, my comments apply to the travel to dungeon element.

OP is right, blizzard could have done this from the start, could do it now. They didn't, and to my knowledge they aren't, so that should clarify their design and game environment priorities in this case. it possibly would not be used by even a 2-digit % of the playerbase. I know heroic raids fit this model, but I think they fill a much more important need than for the actual participants. Heck, you actually have people who have been playing the game for years who have never had to travel to a dungeon now. You aren't going to see a feature that would alienate that player cross-section.

all that said, stacking the deck is actually more than I expected from them.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2014-03-27 at 01:46 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... I thought 99% of people liked LFD. Oh wait they do. Why gimp 99% of players for the 1% that are stuck living in the past.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Alternatively just remove the insta tp. I remember leveling and wanting to do Uldaman, holy crap that walk was a living nightmare distance wise, but it was strangely beneficial. I would always get lost on the way there and be sidetracked by some PvP or a random quest, felt like you were in a proper world.

I remember times when you would turn round an hour later and be like "why the hell are we in a group again?"
    As much as I loved the dungeon walks as grindy as they felt - they immersed you - they aren't coming back. They tried it in cata where you merely had to "discover" the dungeon once, and people cried murder over that despite the only one not right by the quests in the damn zone was available via a mole machine in hyjal..
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    We've been doing challenge mode dungeons lately. Traveling to the instance sucks. I get there first, wait for a second to summon, we try to summon, someone's afk. 20-30 minutes later we're getting started with the run.

I don't know why people want this back.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    We've been doing challenge mode dungeons lately. Traveling to the instance sucks. I get there first, wait for a second to summon, we try to summon, someone's afk. 20-30 minutes later we're getting started with the run.

I don't know why people want this back.
    "I invite people who immediately go afk despite every dungeon being less than 5 minutes away from shrine"

This was part of why it was so good back then. People commited to eachother because of the grouping requirement. People didn't go pissing off 4 other players by being inconsiderate because they would risk being blacklisted from much more than just those 4 in the future.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Wouldn't work with me, I don't like dungeons, prefer to get in and leave quick once I egret my justice/valour.
    Exactly, every dungeon does not need to be some kind of "experience" when im planning to run twenty of them in a day. So its going to need to be one hell of a reward to justify the effort- and you all know it -will- be an effort. Standing in X city spamming "LFM X, walk-up group" then dealing then four people who refuse to move and simply go "summon pls" before dropping group, Or just getting lost/not having a mount/whatever idiot excuse.

Even once you do reach your instance, the effort is absolutely no promise that you'll have a good run. People can, and will invest that much time into ruining your effort. Exactly because it took to long
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    "I invite people who immediately go afk despite every dungeon being less than 5 minutes away from shrine"

This was part of why it was so good back then. People commited to eachother because of the grouping requirement. People didn't go pissing off 4 other players by being inconsiderate because they would risk being blacklisted from much more than just those 4 in the future.
    Iirc, didn't they have summoning stones though back then as well? (Could be wrong though)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    They haven't said they're removing them, but streamlining, so we have no idea. But here is the info:

Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/wa...zzc/#continued
    I believe most recent tweet is this which is somewhat relevant https://mobile.twitter.com/WatcherDe...ame=WatcherDev (note how he doesn't deny JP/VP going away, though this is twitter with 160 character limit and awful at accurate communication)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Iirc, didn't they have summoning stones though back then as well? (Could be wrong though)
    Yes, you needed 3 people to summon (one person to initiate the summoning and two more people).

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Yes, you needed 3 people to summon (one person to initiate the summoning and two more people).
    So what's everyone reminiscing about if people could be lazy anyways just like today?

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Not always, no. Even when they were added - summon stones were often battlegrounds and people would be expected to walk incase a summon wasn't possible.

OT: my opinion:

I just don't see how you could do anything further. All organized pve content still requires actually zoning into the instance. Which I think is a very good requirement. (Flex won't be queueable in WoD. Only reason it is now I believe is it was easier to implement with new flex tech).

You can't really force people in LFD to sit in front of an instance for the queue to pop as the audience LFD is designed for doesn't have much time and LFD lets people multi-task.

Discovering all instances like Cata could work for max level dungeons (not for leveling ones as the Alliance and Horde are starting in opposite areas) where you can't queue up (biggest practical reason Cata's didn't work, people just black listed certain ones) for any until you discover all of them (completing this would be account wide) I wouldn't mind this at all, but overall reaction wouldn't be great.