Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I would keep Blacksmithing, the 2 sockets are nice, drop mining, for eng,jc,or enchanting.

As other have said: BS is about the sockets and it's good. Crafting is a bonus, but will never be anywhere near BiS again - it would require people to reroll profession.
    Mining is only semi-useful for tanks. You could - and should in the future - change it to a second crafting profession. However we don't know how WoD changes professions, so swapping now, might not be that great.

Professions are not for random crafting shit..You do crafting stuff on your alts. If you are raiding heroics you want the professions that give you the biggest boosts. Currently mining gives stamina and is completely useless for healers so you Need to drop it and pick up almost anything. 320 int/agi is the standard for professions. I think engineering, BS is the best ones because BS can give you 640 secondary stats. JC is okay if you are just going for Int. If you are gemming secondary stats with JC you are losing out because you are only getting 320 haste/mastery/crit instead of 320 int.

Mining and herbalism is garbage anything else is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaAverageGamers View Post
    evening fellow shaman

just a quick question I would like your opinion on

I am an enhance shaman with 600 in mining and blacksmithing but feel blacksmithing is wasted on me as three are no weapons I can craft that are worth it, I mean sure I get extra socket in bracers and gloves. but is it worth keeping the profession for that, should I switch to . something more useful like JC or enchanting etc. also with no idea what's around the corner in WoD with profession, what is your opinion, should I stay blk smith or change it up.

I realise that a profession grind is a proper pain in the ass but .. I dunno what do you all think.

thanks for taking the time to read this,

wikidsik- deathwing
    Blacksmith is currently, and usually (as it was last expansion also) the best profession for pretty much every class and role (except Engineering). If you have it at max, I wouldn't dream of dropping it, who cares if you can't craft gear for the character you use it on, get Leatherworking on a plate wearer and GG you can send gear across.

Mining on a DPS character (especially your main) is incredibly meh. Drop it (if you can afford to level something else). Engineering is currently the other best profession for DPS acoss all classes (with a couple of miniscule exceptions) and feels great on a main; you'd never look back (though keep in mind it will cost ~10k to level).

I have a total of 26 max level professions (not including Cooking/First Aid/Archaeology/Fishing) across my characters and I found Mining and Herbing to be, by a fucking long shot, the easiest to level. You can now do it entirely in Pandaria, so if you have an alt and happen to be bored for 3 hours, fly around Valley of the Four Winds and max out your Mining.

I'm going to be obviously biased saying this, but I can't say I'd take someone very seriously if they have gathering professions on their main.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-03-28 at 02:11 PM.

I didn't read this whole thread but JC/BS is one of the weakest combos for most classes. Primary stats lose their strength at the end of the tier because secondary stats are more valued. BS/Eng is by far the best combo most can have with tailoring/BS being close due to their burst interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    I'm going to be obviously biased saying this, but I can't say I'd take someone very seriously if they have gathering professions on their main.
    I'm waiting to see what the crafting changes are going to be in WoD, specifically in regard to gathering mats, before I make any changes. My main is Mining/JC because it's convenient. If our garrisons and/or farms can produce the new ores from the get-go in WoD, I'll drop Mining for Engineering (I have an Engineering alt and I love that profession and really miss it on my main).

I couldn't have a main that doesn't have engineering at this point. Synapse Springs be damned, it's all the other gizmos that I find ever so handy. Goblin Glider is single handedly the best profession perk ever; I would dare put it ahead of BC's Stormherald (and I can speak from experience, I mained as a warrior that had one back then).

Of course, our luck the glider gets some dumb backfire "failure" chance added to it like rocket boots/belt did. :-/

TL;DR: @OP, I would drop mining for engineering. Level mining on another toon, ideally a pally or DK for faster mounted movement speed.

Glider, Jeeves, Moll-E, Synapse Springs... all so useful and I miss them all on my main.
    I just don't want to get into WoD and have to level a mining alt along with my main, that's too time consuming.

Deleted
    As most people have said, engineering. if only for the loot-a-rang. I couldn't cope without that

Plus engineering seems to be the one profession where you make things you can carry forward to the next expansion

The Loot-A-Rang, how could I forget that marvel? Yes, the Loot-A-Rang...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaAverageGamers View Post
    evening fellow shaman

just a quick question I would like your opinion on

I am an enhance shaman with 600 in mining and blacksmithing but feel blacksmithing is wasted on me as three are no weapons I can craft that are worth it, I mean sure I get extra socket in bracers and gloves. but is it worth keeping the profession for that, should I switch to . something more useful like JC or enchanting etc. also with no idea what's around the corner in WoD with profession, what is your opinion, should I stay blk smith or change it up.

I realise that a profession grind is a proper pain in the ass but .. I dunno what do you all think.

thanks for taking the time to read this,

wikidsik- deathwing
    We value secondaries over primaries so BS is actually our best profession being given the choice to use 320 mastery gems trumping JCs agi gems.
    Mining however is 100% useless :C I'd pick up Eng > mining

Number 1 Enchantment shaman world 8) soon to be deathknight