Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Best Beginner class & Spec

Can anyone give some advice on the best class and spec for someone who may as well be completely new to pvp, what I am looking for is:

• A class that's easy to learn to pvp with
    • Has a shallower learning curve to be competitive

What I don't mind so much about is playing a class right now that is only competitive when you master it, just starting out at the moment. I am sure other classes which take longer to learn are better in the long run but not for me right now.

Cheers in advance.

Deleted
    Warlock, definately warlock, so simple, you sir want to be a Warlock

hunter - kite all day and shoot while walking

Thanks for the suggestions, both ranged so far. Interesting..........

Personally, I would agree with the Hunter pick, or I would say a Mage. Frost Mages can get rediculously annoying in arena, as you have a ton of mobility, on top of 83904578029483750482395 CC's. I personally would say a Mage before a Hunter, but they're both great choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Boshtastic View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, both ranged so far. Interesting..........
    I'd say ranged is easier to learn in a BG situation because you're standing on the fringes and aren't under as much pressure to do a lot at the same time. Also, ranged isn't hurt as much by latency as melee. It hurts my heart to be standing on top of people but my backstab is "out of range"
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior is designed for beginners and is by far the easiest to play at a high level.

You can take the advice from people to roll a hunter but actually hunters have a very high skillcap due to clunky cc mechanics and pet mechanics.

elemental shaman or warrior are far easier to play

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't take hunter, you will have 40+ keybinds to master, I honestly believe they are one of the hardest class in PVP.

I'd probaly try an elemental shaman.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I literally know nothing about druids, but Boomkins are always wanted thanks to solar beam. Are they difficult?
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Quote Originally Posted by Cirayne24 View Post
    I literally know nothing about druids, but Boomkins are always wanted thanks to solar beam. Are they difficult?
    Easy to play, hard to be great.

You'll be wanted in rbgs just for solar beam and dot all the things and spam starsurge. In arena however it's a lot harder

Read the Warriors thread that's also on the front page. It's definitely Warrior, once you get your Weapon, it's all over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendragin View Post
    Personally, I would agree with the Hunter pick, or I would say a Mage. Frost Mages can get rediculously annoying in arena, as you have a ton of mobility, on top of 83904578029483750482395 CC's. I personally would say a Mage before a Hunter, but they're both great choices.
    I strongly advice against this. While mage "may" be easy for you, doesn't mean it's easy for other people. It has a rather difficult learning curve and not so much forgiving as a hunter or warlock.

Warlocks are extremely tanky and have some sick CC (locks take 28% less dmg passively) and has a more forgiving playstyle as well as hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    Easy to play, hard to be great.

You'll be wanted in rbgs just for solar beam and dot all the things and spam starsurge. In arena however it's a lot harder
    I reckon boomkins are still -relatively- forgiving. They have an insane arsenal of roots, sprints and CC as well as great selfhealing.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2014-04-02 at 07:10 PM.

If you wanna play ranged, go for warlock, if you wanna play melee, go for enhancement shaman.
    Definetly would NOT recommend mages/ferals for new players.

How are hunters in any way forgiving? You mess up one part and you've lost any pressure for 30 seconds, plus we barely have self heals and only 2 defensive cool downs. Warlocks basically have an extra life with dark regen/unending resolve along with taking 20% less damage passively

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    How are hunters in any way forgiving? You mess up one part and you've lost any pressure for 30 seconds, plus we barely have self heals and only 2 defensive cool downs. Warlocks basically have an extra life with dark regen/unending resolve along with taking 20% less damage passively
    The ability to kite, deal damage on the move and spirit bond + roar of sac + 2x deterr is still insane survivability.

Well, interesting question. Let's think about it from a different perspective, what makes something hard to play? I would say when you have to juggle multiple jobs at the same time. For example, mages are hard because you are probably being trained so you are doing what you can to avoid damage, you are required to be doing damage at the same time, the only way you do damage is to manage procs and cooldowns, and you are also required to CC people to create pressure or land kills. So you have to be doing all of these things with a hunter/warrior on you non stop.

I would say mage is very hard to play well.

Now, I think the easiest class to play is one where you don't have to do a whole lot at the same time. No real CC, no real procs to manage, your only job is to do damage and not die (think mostly you don't over extend or get into bad positioning).

You want to play an UNHOLY DK.

Let me explain...

DK has one of the easiest jobs in arena and RBG for that matter, SPAM DAMAGE!!! It is super easy to do said damage, you have one CC to manage which is a ranged instant stun on 30 sec CD. (you could count pet, but let me get to that). The only real "skill" that unholy DKs have to use is to not be in stupid places, and to not just use their runes as they come off CD. Scary DK damage comes from pooling resources, kinda like a rogue.

Now, but people will say you have a pet! you have to have all these keybinds for grip, silence, strang, etc.

No! You don't! This is what you need to be an effective unholy DK.

1.) @mouseover macros for the following skills:
    Asphyxiate
    Grip
    Chains of Ice
    Dark Sim
    Pet Stun
    Pet Charge

2.) You have to have macros to put a few things together
    blood tap with necrotic strike
    frenzy with gargoyle
    raise dead with dark transformation
    stance dance between unholy and blood presence
    a macro that throws death coils at your pet to heal it and puts the pet into huddle
    a macro that casts blood tap and soul reaper

3.) you have to have the following talents, roiling blood, lichbourne, asphyxiate, conversion, blood tap, desecrated ground

Here is how you play it:

Do you have diseases on everything? Then apply diseases. use outbreak, plague strike and blood boil. Easy.
    Do you need to stun a target? Cast asphyxiate. real skill comes from stunning a target .3 seconds before the last CC wears off (like ploy or fear)
    Is your pet dying? cast death coils at it to heal it
    Is your pet transformed? Transform the pet if stacked
    Is your pet dead? Raise pet
    Is dark sim up? Cast it on a class with CC like a druid and hope you get something useful
    Are you ready to burst? Cast garg macro and spam necros, if no runes use empower rune weapon
    Are you in CC? If fear cast lichborne->if stun cast IBF->if other CC that is not a root cast desecrated ground->if disarmed or rooted (or otherwise you want to get out) cast trinket
    Are you being targeted? Blood presence and conversion, possibly shell
    Is a target probably going to die? Cast soul reaper.

So easy. Obviously there is lots of room for improvement there and I could go into great detail, but you will be doing the one thing DKs are brought for which is super high spread pressure and necrotic strike. I guarantee once you have gear and a small amount of practice you will be playing at a decent level.

The reason you have mouseover macros is so you can just mouseover either gladius frames, or just their body in the game. No need for focus macros, target arena1/2/3 etc. All of these things you can add later, but it is not necessary.

Hmm, maybe I should take some time and make a howto arena as a UDK 101 as there are some places to expand here. Might be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    The ability to kite, deal damage on the move and spirit bond + roar of sac + 2x deterr is still insane survivability.
    Deal damage on the move, you mean having to try and deal damage while running for their life from melee that do 5-10 times the damage per hit?

You mean the only class that has to resort to a plethora of key binds and macros to augment its short damage mitigation and very short stun/slows durations that are easily negated by every other class in the game if the players is to have any success. Which of course results in it being the PVP class with both the highest learning curve and lowest ranking in the game?

Oh and FYI: Most Hunters chose extra damage talent over the heal talent not that it really matters in the long run; the extra damage in no way makes up for the lack of heals and the weak heals should you select them in no way make up for the lost damage you sacrifice by selecting them making them both essentially mute.

The OP's best bet is Lock or Arms Warrior.

Warrior for Melee, Warlock or Hunter for Ranged. If you plan on sticking to battlegrounds I'd go more towards the Hunter, honestly. Good times picking off 5 people before they see it's not just the foliage shooting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Every class in the game has the ability to kite, some actually better than hunters. Spirit bond is a pathetic shadow of second wind, it doesn't heal nearly as much as the whiners would believe it does. The only reason you see hunter healing at the top of a scoreboard is because it can't differentiate from overheating and spirit bond also heals the pet.

roar of sac has always been a weaker cd, the one thing that made it strong was our ability to dismiss and get more of them. Now we only have one.

2 deters means what? It doesn't prevent damage already applied, spells in the air will still go through it. It's a strong cd for sure, but nothing as foolproof as ice block, cloak etc