Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killmatik View Post
    Why cant just Malefic Grasp be removed, and Drain Life be the replacer? Would be a nice touch of nostalgia
    Because giving afflic a self heal as their filler would probably make that spec top.

Or were you talking about the animation? Drain Life could only work as a filler if it either cut down the filler damage (doesn't cause extra dot damage like MG, generates no/less fury/embers for demo and destro) or the heal was significantly nerfed to siphon life levels

good use of drain life can make a world of difference on progression when your underhealing bosses to make dps checks. Smart use is better than both never using it and using it too much.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Also, I remember a time in Cata where Drain Life was a viable filler spell for afflic. It was the same time that casting chaos bolt for destro was optional and havoc was a spell you put on something passively and it took a percentage of damage you dealt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    good use of drain life can make a world of difference on progression when your underhealing bosses to make dps checks. Smart use is better than both never using it and using it too much.
    Well, if you're afflic maybe. If you're destro, you're much better off ember tapping. If you're demo... well first off I wouldn't think you're in the area where your guild can't make dps checks and demo would probably be the least disruptive to drain life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    In 9 years they never found that sweet spot. Why can't it just be in that place in its own right? Why does it need the talents and glyphs to prop it up, which only serve to hold it back further because all of those things just won't get picked?
    Apply those two criteria of yours I quoted earlier to any heal. By those same parameters, not a single heal in the game should exist.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've found in PvP it's just useless even in full Grievous with a few Prideful pieces as Destruction specced. Warriors, DKs and Rogues still burst you down.

I just don't understand the point of having drain soul, malefic grasp AND drain life. They all feel too similar. I think they need to just pick one and make that the primary drain. (Preferrably drain life).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Apply those two criteria of yours I quoted earlier to any heal. By those same parameters, not a single heal in the game should exist.
    Well take a look at the heals being stripped away from the Hybrid classes DPS specs; the raid cooldowns being removed from Tanks. The realm of raid survivability is being pushed back onto Healers. It's been said a long time now that DPS off-healing has become out of hand in PvP too. So really, yeah, you're not far wrong.

Which is irritating because last expac they wanted DPS to be using their self heals and active damage mitigation CD's more.

One step forward, two steps back. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. They don't remember WHY they made certain changes in the first place. Reinvent the fucking wheel 3 more times.

Deleted
    Harvest life had its place when it made it AoE drain life. It was epic for levelling in mists as demo. Less silences and the resource generation might bring back drain tanking fun in pvp. I'd still prefer the old harvest life though. AoE drains looked so cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    If healing turns out like planned in warlords, drain life will actually be somewhat useful.

I think giving drain life a cooldown could help balance it so it's at least always worth using, you just can't spam it. So it would be another defensive cd that can be interrupted and have to stand still to use, could maybe replace another defensive cd/be a talent if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Like, what, small chance to generate a Shard per tick ?
    More like after 3 sec you generate a Shard, kind of like what DS used to do after X sec.

But making this a defensive CD would be the ultimate solution. They are free to buff its damage or healing without having to worry about it overtaking the filler spell. Pugna in DotA has this as an ability. Powerful hps but interruptible to keep it in line, the damage can also get buffed to high levels.

That would actually be an awesome toolkit to add to Affliction and Demonology.

And as far as my suggestion above how it should regen secondary resources, maybe trying to reward the lock completing a full channel could grant 2 shards, 400 DF or 1 ember, or something like that.

I wouldn't say it is a lost cause in a lore standpoint, since it is an iconic warlock/fel spell. They just need to stop dilly dallying and decide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I understand the spell is iconic, but it's clear that it just can't be balanced. Every expansion it's reworked, with talents and Glyphs to attempt to support it, and still sees very little if any use. It's simply caught in TWO Catch-22 positions:
    - If it can outheal or even significantly buffer incoming damage, it's too strong, if it can't, it's no use.
    - If it does enough damage to be worth casting, it screws up rotations, if it doesn't do enough damage, it's not worth casting.

They are very clear irreconcilable issues. So why does it continue to be reworked, and reworked, with attempts to support it with Glyphs and Talents added which simply can't be allowed to go far enough to fix either of those issues lest the Talents and Glyphs themselves become regarded as "too mandatory".

It really feels like a whole lot of wasted effort; it's had the same problems for over 9 years, they aren't going to go away now.
    It helps soloing older raids. Doesn't have to be used elsewhere really. Helps during leveling too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    It helps soloing older raids. Doesn't have to be used elsewhere really. Helps during leveling too.
    It doesn't need talents or glyphs to prop it up to offer that functionality. Either way, I actually don't find it helpful there, because the lack of damage only prolongues fights it can't outheal... Anything it can outheal, isn't really at any risk of killing you to worry about it.

If people want the spamability left on drain life for soloing or w/e you could have it such that normally drain life is how it is now for all specs, and with a glyph or talent it buffs the healing/dmg but gives it a cd, or the other way around.

Deleted
    Its ok, we can still have the fun and balanced MG/SB:SS mechanics.
    /shootmeinthefacepls

I would've rather they removed drain life over fel flame, probably to lazy to remove harvest life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    I've found in PvP it's just useless even in full Grievous with a few Prideful pieces as Destruction specced. Warriors, DKs and Rogues still burst you down.
    This just in; small channelled heal doesn't help much against Battle Fatigue, Mortal/Wound/Necrotic, stuns, interrupts and the DPS of a melee. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    Pretty much the purpose behind the spell. It's to sustain or top off, and really the only useful place for that is soloing. I don't see why you would remove it, consolidate it, or roll it into something else just because that is its only real purpose or use. That's a big part of a lot of players time spent playing WoW as a Warlock if they don't dungeon, pvp, or raid 24/7.

I still find Drain Life useful, in PvP that is.

Don't see why they're removing Fel Flame, I wish they'd remove KJC instead and keep Fel Flame.