Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Honestly, I feel like the the big downside here is that people refuse to use any voice coms. Everyone thinks they are a pro and they don't need to be on vent or whatever for flex.
    Some people despise voice communications. I personally detest the idea of meeting random gamers in chat.

I play WoW to enjoy a fantasy world, not to listen to nasal post-adolescent voices emanating from some room at Mom's house.

Honestly, I feel like the the big downside here is that people refuse to use any voice coms. Everyone thinks they are a pro and they don't need to be on vent or whatever for flex. It's so easy, right?! Then when someone starts messing up, there is no way to tell them other than stop playing and type it in chat hoping that they will see which is more of LFR behavior than one of organized group. My guild used to do flex runs on Mondays and we would bring our alts that dinged couple of days ago with an avrg ilvl of 500 and maybe 1-2 guys carrying if they didnt want to play alts. As long as random pugs were on mumble, we were good. That time when couple of tanks in a row were refusing to get on, we were experiencing lots and lots of trouble.
    I have paid for a personal ventrilo server for ... 3 years now? maybe more. I'm on it almost all the time with my brother and friends while we play WoW and other games.

To be expected to join vent/mumble/TS for repeatable content below the heroic tier just instantly turns me off on the content. As a point of reference, I progression raided in EQ1 during Planes of Power, with no voice chat at all and somehow our raid leader did just fine with typing things out. We still pulled our collective butts together enough to reach #3 on our server back in those days - without someone going all drama-queen/king on vent with every mistake.

I'm continually amazed that some people post about how easy WoW supposedly is while they can't run fast enough to install every single tool and mod possible to make playing the game even easier.
    Last edited by Raeln; 2014-04-08 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Some people despise voice communications. I personally detest the idea of meeting random gamers in chat.

I play WoW to enjoy a fantasy world, not to listen to nasal post-adolescent voices emanating from some room at Mom's house.
    Then enjoy LFR and stop trying to ruin the experience for the rest of us who actually want teamwork and cooperation to account for something.

- - - Updated - - -

That time when couple of tanks in a row were refusing to get on, we were experiencing lots and lots of trouble.
    "I'm 13/14HC, I don't need mumble for Flex Garrosh." Dies to first weapon. Can't pay attention to chat to know he's being asked to combat res someone. Gets ass handed to him on DPS meter by others despite failing at mechanics.

You want voice comm free PUGs? Make your own, but don't come to mine. You want voice comm free content? Get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post
    Then enjoy LFR and stop trying to ruin the experience for the rest of us who actually want teamwork and cooperation to account for something.
    Voice chat is not a requirement for "teamwork and cooperation" in an MMORPG.

Raid guilds would be better served to teach their members to be responsible and come stocked up, repaired and on time before getting all wound up over someone not wanting to be bothered with joining their voice chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    I'm continually amazed that some people post about how easy WoW supposedly is while they can't run fast enough to install every single tool and mod possible to make playing the game even easier.
    The amount of tracking required for high-end raiding is pretty serious and anyone who says WoW is easier now than (vanilla/BC/whatever) is basically full of crap. The tools have gotten better and the information is more readily available, but you still have to be able to apply them.

- - - Updated - - -

Voice chat is not a requirement for "teamwork and cooperation" in an MMORPG.

Raid guilds would be better served to teach their members to be responsible and come stocked up, repaired and on time before getting all wound up over someone not wanting to be bothered with joining their voice chat.
    Completely false. Or the whiners here wouldn't be whining about its necessity.

- - - Updated - - -

"I'm 13/14HC, I don't need mumble for Flex Garrosh." Dies to first weapon. Can't pay attention to chat to know he's being asked to combat res someone. Gets ass handed to him on DPS meter by others despite failing at mechanics.

You want voice comm free PUGs? Make your own, but don't come to mine. You want voice comm free content? Get lost.
    Someone dying to the first weapon on Garrosh isn't going to be saved by voice chat.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of tracking required for high-end raiding is pretty serious and anyone who says WoW is easier now than (vanilla/BC/whatever) is basically full of crap. The tools have gotten better and the information is more readily available, but you still have to be able to apply them.
    For heroic raiding, I would completely agree.

For Flex though? don't think so. There is a multitude of things telegraphed by Blizzard now and other addons.

Do you remember back in the days when people used to set timer clocks on their desk to time boss abilities? Now they are all just tracked by an addon - with no additional player effort other than downloading and unzipping the addon.

Completely false. Or the whiners here wouldn't be whining about its necessity.
    Many raids were completed before Teamspeak and Ventrilo were even created. They are not a requirement in order to raid. They are considered a requirement by people who want to make raiding as easy as possible.
    Last edited by Raeln; 2014-04-08 at 09:29 PM.

Someone dying to the first weapon on Garrosh isn't going to be saved by voice chat.
    An obvious exaggeration, but I've had several people with this attitude screw up very basic encounter mechanics because they weren't in mumble for explanations and couldn't pay attention to it in chat.

For heroic raiding, I would completely agree.

For Flex though? don't think so.
    Let's start by defining "necessary" here then, because I'm just adopting the definition the QQers are using. Voice communication is not ever necessary in WoW, not even for heroic Garrosh. A deaf person could play WoW and beat every encounter in the game. So what's there to QQ about (remember, the topic is banning voice comms from WoW)? It's a competitive advantage, and therefore deemed "necessary" by many. And that adds to the game, in my opinion. If you want content designed to be done without those competitive advantages, you have it. It's called LFR.

Many raids were completed before Teamspeak and Ventrilo were even created. They are not a requirement in order to raid. They are considered a requirement by people who want to make raiding as easy as possible.
    Many raids were also very simple in comparison to modern encounters, so this argument is stupid.

this is just how people are - making false statements to make themselves feel better about themselves - instead acknowledge that yes they are really good and supperior players and therefore should teach weaker players how to play better they all go into "false modesty asshole mode" and try to convince everyone how easy the game is when in fact they play on lv that 99.9 % of wow population will never reach. yet they demand those 99 % to play on exackly same lv as they do from day 1 forgeting it took them often 10 years to get to hte place they are now not 10 days -_-

what is worse they demend that the blizzard will cater content only for those 1 % of playerbase cause eveyrthign is "so loleasy" whioch is pure bs from the veyr begining - and blizzard is lswoly starting to see it - thus making lfr into tourist mode and changes to first talent system now gear system //shrug - so the game was more plug&play not plug and spend hours researching internet how to play efficiently .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2014-04-08 at 10:42 PM.

Voice comm is a great convenience. It is also a huge disruption to immersion. When someone comes up with a way to make voice chat immersive (as in, people speak in-character with character-appropriate voices) then let me know. Until then, it can go fuck itself.

And voice comm is in no way necessary for raiding at any level. However it obviously makes many encounters easier, and makes learning them faster.

You need to look at your timing better, because voice chat existed before WoW did.

Ventrilo: Initial release August 3, 2002

WoW: Release date(s) AUS / NA November 23, 2004

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    You need to look at your timing better, because voice chat existed before WoW did.

Ventrilo: Initial release August 3, 2002

WoW: Release date(s) AUS / NA November 23, 2004
    And I'm afraid you need to check your source.

Flex hasn't been messy only since Boost to 90. It's always been messy. It just depends at what ilevel/experience your group is sitting at. I'll generally minimize my risk and grab a Warlock friend of mine who's sitting on 565 so he makes the group. We'll generally grab around 540-545 geared folk since that's where our alts are at right now. Once we hit 550, we'll just move onto Normal and go from there. Pugging Flex can be extremely painful and is not really worth the aggro of ragequitters.

How is voicecomms a disruption to immersion? Are all the heros in raids mute in lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Imhere View Post
    And I'm afraid you need to check your source.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventrilo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Seems like good enough sourcing for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    How is voicecomms a disruption to immersion? Are all the heros in raids mute in lore?
    I guess he wants his guild to RP with him. Or he wants everyone who plays WoW to be a hardcore RPer who never breaks character. Out-of-character text chat seems just as "immersion" breaking to me, but it's his silly hang-up, not mine, so I guess I don't really get it, either.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I posted a while back about Flex getting worse. I just left with the feeling that the more random people I had in the group the worse it will be. I imagine most people who are still flexing on alts don't have the same number of friends that need to do it or will do it, thus just praying that people have any clue what they are doing. Honestly the only 2 things that most people on flex seem absolutely horrendous at is Malk soaking and Garrosh mind controls. I would add orbs on Norushen but besides not soaking which isn't the issue in my experience it is just not a raid wiping ordeal if Johnny Awesome the pug goes in at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    grab a Warlock friend of mine who's sitting on 565
    grab around 540-545 geared folk
    Once we hit 550, we'll just move onto Normal and go from there
    See, that's the rub. I did Flex PUGs in the first month of SoO with people in 520-530 gear and we got through them just fine. But now that so many less-experienced/committed/skilled players have higher item level gear from LFR (536), Celestials (561), Ordos (567), legendary cloak (608) and whatever they might have had their friends help boost them out of flex and normal, the item level requirements for most PUGs have shot through the roof. It's not uncommon to see people demanding 550+ for Flex 3/4 on my server and you basically can't get into a Flex under 530, which is massive overkill for Flex. We started normals at 530 and 550 is over-geared for anything short of Garrosh (which is tuned for 545-550).

Meanwhile, a lot of more experienced players have graduated away from Flex entirely, decreasing the overall competency of the Flex-PUG pool. I have just finished getting my 5th alt Flex-ready, but I doubt I will spend more than 2-3 weeks running Flex on him before moving to normal as he is already 533.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Have you actually compared the environment in voice chat with ... you know ... sword and sorcery and all that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Have you actually compared the environment in voice chat with ... you know ... sword and sorcery and all that shit?
    If I play Monopoly with a friend, I don't expect him to speak to me in 1930s slang or wear a top-hat. Raiding is a team effort and rapid communications are naturally conducive to any team effort. It's also a social event for many (probably most) of us and I'm more interested in hearing about my guildmates' lives than in maintaining your delusions of being a sorcerer. Voice communications make raids more engaging for me. And for most others, I'd wager.

See, that's the rub. I did Flex PUGs in the first month of SoO with people in 520-530 gear and we got through them just fine. But now that so many less-experienced/committed/skilled players have higher item level gear from LFR (536), Celestials (561), Ordos (567), legendary cloak (608) and whatever they might have had their friends help boost them out of flex and normal, the item level requirements for most PUGs have shot through the roof. It's not uncommon to see people demanding 550+ for Flex 3/4 on my server and you basically can't get into a Flex under 530, which is massive overkill for Flex. We started normals at 530 and 550 is over-geared for anything short of Garrosh (which is tuned for 545-550).

Meanwhile, a lot of more experienced players have graduated away from Flex entirely, decreasing the overall competency of the Flex-PUG pool. I have just finished getting my 5th alt Flex-ready, but I doubt I will spend more than 2-3 weeks running Flex on him before moving to normal as he is already 533.
    Flex right now is that nice little precursor to raiding at Normal. And outside of the Dungeon/LFR/Flex/Normal/HC grind I did on my main, there's no way in hell I'd ever consider putting an alt through it all. Especially with Timeless Isle. My DK had a simple evolution. Timeless Isle -> Some LFR (two 13/14 runs) -> Flex. It's not even a case of only wanting to tackle content when overgeared, but more a case of only tackling content to get gear. It's not a situation where the content is a challenge.

So hence as I'm sure like other people, I'd rather not be in a situation where there's wipes happening. I don't mind if they do, but I'd rather not. I remember doing Flex 1 at like 510 or something. Flex 2 at a little bit more with Flex 3 and 4 being done at around 525. Sure, there's folk out here who've done normal at those levels and good for them, but that was my progression on my main. I started doing PVE only maybe in November 2013 or something, though I started WoW in September 2013.

If I was a fresh 90 with no main at all, I'd be extremely crushed that Flex had stupid requirements like 'Flex 1 540 RUSH' because it puts a gear wall around content that can absolutely be done by lesser geared folk. It's just people want the absolute safest option possible. But I guess that's why you have the cesspool that is LFR. The issue is that Blizzard have just constantly devalued content as they've gone along. Purple gear should be gear with the absolute highest equity. There shouldn't even be more than two tiers of ilevel. But because EVERYBODY wants it, they create 'lite' purple gear in order to please people who'd have a heart attack if they had blue and Joe down the road had purple.

I'm digressing here and talking gear but let me pontificate. Kinda.

1. Leveling (Gear is Grey/White)
    2. Leveling Content for Groups (White/Green)
    3. Story Mode Endgame Content for Groups (Green)
    4. Hard Mode Endgame Content for Groups (Green/Blue)
    5. Story Mode Endgame Content for Big Groups (Blue)
    6. Hard Mode Endgame Content For Big Groups (Blue/Purple)

Purple once again becomes the point of highest equity for gear and representative of successfully completing content. This isn't the point I originally made but it becomes about resetting the value of things. Right now WoW is kinda like a booming economy. Everyone's got a house and car whilst some folk have amazing houses and cars. Blizzard, being the ever charitable banker, hands tokens out to everyone to keep them happy and whine free. But a lot of people are just getting it as a form of faux welfare. To keep them happy. Not because they earned it. Real welfare is handed out to people who absolutely cannot provide for themselves. This is welfare just for people who are mad that someone else COULD provide for themselves but they're too lazy to go in and put in the effort required so they cry foul and ask for it in some form too.

It's silly. I'm guilty of it too, but I'm sure were I to be given the chance to progress through White/Green/Blue/Purple, I'd do it. Just give me the option to lose out first instead of assuming failure or concession and throwing sweets at me to keep the blood sugar pumping. Right now everyone in LFR/Flex/Normal has their blood sugar super high. We're all diabetic and addicted to that sweet. We want it. Straight into the veins. Nothing else works. Someone in the way? Fuck. Build a wall. They sneak through anyway? Burn 'em! Welcome to Flex at high ilevels.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2014-04-09 at 11:20 AM.

This is actually one of the reasons I prefer the in-game group finder, as bad as it is, to OQ.

OQ has no way to add any information (ie, 10/14HM main, know fights) to your ilevel and other basic information.

Nor can you whisper a player and ask for achievements, or a group leader and link them.

I've had no problems getting Flex groups at 505-515 linking achievements, definitely not for the first couple of wings.