Poll: Shouting at your raidmembers, should the raid tolerate this or not?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Raid leader shouting at raid members over voice chat: acceptable or not?

Hey, so I'm in a guild and we're currently doing pretty decent imo on progressions (13/14 normal, going to attempt heroic once we get garrosh normal down).
    One thing I've been heavily annoyed about lately is that our Raid leader has been releasing frustration/anger over the voice chat by literally shouting at people. So my question is, do you guys think this is something acceptable, or is it a no go? I one time simply shut down teamspeak because he was shouting at me like (in my opinion) an asshole and I couldn't take it anymore. Am I in the right in that case? Because I felt like I'm here to have fun and enjoy my time, not to be shouted and raged at.

Edit:

Well, this blew up quickly ^^

So, as multiple people were asking what the exact situation was. We were actually doing a flex with half a pug raid, I was on my alt offtanking and he was maintanking. We wiped on General Nazgrim (Half our raid were on alts with not that great gear, it happens :P) and I said I didn't recieve any heals for about 4-5 seconds, which ended up killing me even though I popped some cooldowns (I believe I didn't really make a mistake that caused us to wipe). Then before he let me even finish that sentence he started screaming about how I'm blaming the fucking healers and such things and that I was a fucking idiot. So then I went off the voice chat and decided to logout.

The reason I was like okay fuck this is because he has shouted at people about 4-5 times over the last week and I cba to get shouted at anymore at that point.
    And for the friendly people telling me we're bad and such for not killing Garrosh normal, maybe you're right, but we're progressing at our own pace so I don't really consider it a problem. And for why we aren't killing it I could go and spout some bullshit but we're simply not good enough to kill him I suppose?

And the guy who asked how old I am, I'm 19. I've raided during WotLK and Cataclysm, and never had such a raging raid leader before. So I was wondering what the MMO-champion forumvisitors thought about a case like this.
    Last edited by Xorious; 2014-04-10 at 01:58 PM.

Im not sure how old u are but i would say that being able to take shit is part of growing up

Thats what ive learned mostly thru work and RL aswell as a few moments in WoW.
    A Raging Leader mostly comes in Hardcore Guilds in WoW(were i have experienced it at least) and ive Always been fine with it.
    Its a way of personality and u just have to accept it...... or not and find a new Guild, its up to u.

I'd say the guy needs to grow up. I've played in progression guilds where things can get a bit more serious, but the raid leader just going off was never part of it. Frustration occured, but not like what you describe. I'd find a new guild.

Also, we're so far into this tier that he probably shouldn't be yelling at people, acting like an elitist since his guild, the team that HE leads, isn't even heroics.

Sometimes people need a shouting, but it has to be constructive.

Just shouting because you can't kill the boss and the raid leader doesn't know why is totally counter-productive.

Shouting because you've told somebody five times already that they take the first interrupt, and they're just ignoring the add, tunnelling the boss and linking meters after wipes... That's justified.

Just turn your volume down, it's what I do.

A good raid leader would never be doing that. All it does is piss off everyone else, and that just makes things worse.

If I were in your spot, I'd find myself a new guild.

Were you performing like shit ? After doing a bossfight 100 times ? If yes take the anger like you deserve. Nothing more infuriating while raiding than a moron that doesn't learn after doing something countless times.

Pure devil's advocate-

Quote Originally Posted by Xorious View Post
    Our Raid leader has been releasing frustration/anger over the voice chat by literally shouting at people. I one time simply shut down teamspeak because he was shouting at me like (in my opinion) an asshole and I couldn't take it anymore. Am I in the right in that case? Because I felt like I'm here to have fun and enjoy my time, not to be shouted and raged at.
    Well, the other 24 people were having fun before you caused a wipe. The sound you heard is the sound of fun dying.

I've done raid-leading, and yelled at people. I'd like to think I'm generally level-headed, and willing to explain mechanics, give people the benefit of the doubt, etc. It is NEVER the first fuck up that gets yelled at. It's on attempt 100 of paragons when the same person dies to Rapid Fire for the 50th time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's....

but seriously people who go ham like a raging asshole should not lead raids because of their inability to to say calm and communicate clearly. I've been in many raids and have had good raid leaders and raid leaders who go into a profanity laced rage instantly.

I don't find it acceptable, would leave right away. It comes down to this:

1. Either Raid Leader is shouting for no reason, which means he is a douche for releasing personal frustration/anger on others. I don't like to raid with douches.
    2. Or Raid is going so bad that Raid Leader has to shout to get people to do their assignments, which means those players are douches for holding back others (I'd expect them to leave the group if they are pushovers). I don't like to raid with douchies.

If it's bothering you, move on.

Never acceptable IMO. There just isn't any reason to do it. If the person can't have a calm, intelligent and constructive conversation about mistakes and through that come to a successful conclusion to the issue then you should replace them. If the raid leader can't help but yell and be rude then you should replace them. That's all there is to it.

Don't forget that raiding is not a single player activity, but a multiplayer one. If you wipe the whole raid, and have fun out of it, I doubt other 9/24 people are having the same fun as you. Can't say more, because you never described a situation in details.

Raging raid leaders deserve to be recorded, trolled, and then posted to youtube for the entertainment of all.

If you can't convey suggestions to a group without screaming, you aren't very good at your job.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's ok if you're there to have fun and enjoy your time - as long as you aren't, by your repetition of mistakes, reducing the enjoyment of others.

In which case, you need to be reprimanded, kicked out the raid or the guild.

Some raid leaders handle this by shouting at individuals or an entire group. I used to be quite abrasive with my guys when they used to screw up on basic things.

Sometimes expressing dissatisfaction by shouting is a necessity. Sometimes, it's not. Varies from circumstance to circumstance and individual to individual.

You can only be nice and help people so far until they need to sometimes be pushed or kicked.

As long as he attacks your actions, abilities and doesn't make it personal, I see nothing wrong with it.

Running down individual people doesn't usually work well. Expressing dissatisfaction and indicating you think they can do better works much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you have to try and yell sense into some retards, they don't really get it otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    A good raid leader would never be doing that. All it does is piss off everyone else, and that just makes things worse.

If I were in your spot, I'd find myself a new guild.
    Agreed 100%.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends. We've had people in raids that, after repeatedly being told to do something, multiple times and on multiple wipes, just stand there tunnelvisioning the boss. I get that this is a game, but if you're playing with other people and ruin their fun because you just can't be bothered listening, then you deserve to be shouted at.

Just yesterday we had 2 wipes on Sha HC because people were padding meters on adds instead of focusing boss. Talking calmly didn't help, typing it out in raid and whisper didn't help. 3rd wipe our RL started shouting on TS calling people out on it, and 4th go was a clean kill.

If you're not listening and not doing your part (dying to mechanics is one thing, not bothering to interrupt/target switch is just being uncooperative and lazy) then you better handle being yelled at when RL has finally had enough.

Lashing out at random people to vent anger is not acceptable though, but since you didn't mention why he was upset I'm guessing you were failing at something you shouldn't be, thereby ruining the fun for everyone else.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    If a raid leader gets emotional once in a while I can live with it. But shouting at people in general is not acceptable. I wouldn't tolerate it in real life, and I won't tolerate it ingame. And I don't have to, there are plenty of leaders/officers that knows how to treat people with respect.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    If you can't convey suggestions to a group without screaming, you aren't very good at your job.
    Tell that to my old drill sergeant.

A raid leader has a tough job. They have to parade around abunch of people who often don't listen in the best case, and make biased complaints on web forums in the worst case.