Tips for Siegecrafter crawler mines

My guild is working on Heroic Siegecrafter. I think one of our big challenges is dealing with the crawler mines fast enough. When I watch kill-vids online it seems like those things just melt, but on our attempts they are staying up too long which is pulling deeps off Blackfuse.

My gut feeling is that the melee aren't chipping in aggressively enough. While discussing that the concern was raised about getting targeted by a mine at point-blank, so they are hanging back a bit farther and cleaving (except for the DK dropping a chill-snare on them).

As a frost mage I frozen-orb/ice-lance them, and then blizzard if there are a bunch up to help snare them. But I'm beginning to think I should just single-target nuke...

In any case, any tips/suggestions for the crawler mines for those who have been-there/done-that would be appreciated.

Have your Engineers pick up the EMP Belt tinker. 3 second AOE 25 yard radius stun with no DR. Can semi-coordinate it if needed so they don't overlap, but the visual is very noticeable.

DKs can also Gorefiends Grasp them. Doesn't seem to be a huge deal if he gets hit as a result.

I've also heard some Frost Mages have varying degrees of success with Frost Bomb on that fight if they're grouped well enough. 70% aoe slow is very nice, even if it's just for 2 sec. Drop Ring of Frost too. Actually works on them.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2014-04-12 at 10:01 PM.

Its hard to say without your comp being known.

The kill vids you see look so clean because of this: The mines spawn 3/4 sec apart. You need to stun the as soon as they appear to get them clumped (or ring of frost / whatever) then AoE will be mega effective. The ranged / healers also need to be stacked in the same place so that when they fixate they aren't running left and right and reducing the effectiveness of AoE.
    It's really an exercise in co-ordination rather than Godlike dps. Keep them snared / vortex'd / gorefiends grasped and you don't have to run around the room like headless chickens and you have breathing room to spank them.

Deleted
    We normally wait until the first empowered mine dies, have our dk aoe grip the resulting smaller mines (plus other two empowered) to the boss which is then followed by a druid vortex and aoe them down.

From a lock perspective Affliction is very nice for slowing mines (soulburn curse of exhaustion (with glyph)) but if the rest of the raid can handle slows and stuns then destro is nice for cleaving/aoe on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Its hard to say without your comp being known.

It's really an exercise in co-ordination rather than Godlike dps. Keep them snared / vortex'd / gorefiends grasped and you don't have to run around the room like headless chickens and you have breathing room to spank them.
    www dot warcraftlogs dot com/reports/TQ3LDJwA9rXt2k4z

This is what we were running this week. I put a space in the URL after the .s and 'com'.

Thanks for the comment on the coordination vs. raw dps. There is probably some room for improvement there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Have your Engineers pick up the EMP Belt tinker. 3 second AOE 25 yard radius stun with no DR. Can semi-coordinate it if needed so they don't overlap, but the visual is very noticeable.

I've also heard some Frost Mages have varying degrees of success with Frost Bomb on that fight if they're grouped well enough. 70% aoe slow is very nice, even if it's just for 2 sec. Drop Ring of Frost too. Actually works on them.
    Great thought on the EMP Belt tinker. Frost bomb does indeed sound potentially attractive.

I found myself wishing for the buff'd blizzard from TBC a few times...

EMP Belt is so awesome for mines.

Non empowered mines are simple, they spawn one at a time and players just need to be ready to swap to each one for a few globals. Locks can Havoc a CB to pretty much one shot one.

For empowered mines, the faster you pop the big ones, the easier it will be to AoE the mines before they spread out. If they get spread out and you have to single target them, that's where it gets messy. Tanks should be on the big mines the second they are active. I save a few embers so I can CB the 1st and 2nd Empowered adds, quickly popping 6 smalls then AoE off the boss to cleave the last empowered and clean up the smalls.

CC is important, but people learning the mine spawn points and casting the instant they are active is the key. A few random EMP's trivialize empowered mines.

I can't check your logs at the moment, but a big factor of killing mines is how many dps you have on them. If one of your dps is kiting laser then everyone else needs to be prepared to pick up that slack. It is a ton easier if you have a hunter or another class to do every belt so you are guaranteed a full time extra dps. Our kills prenerf we did not have a hunter though so it can be done without. It is VERY noticeable when a dps is kiting the laser.

Also, make sure tank(s) are helping out. I tank the boss on my DK for the first set of empowered mines. I have dnd glyphed, chillblanes and gorefiends grasp. When mines are out I just ignore that the boss is on me and do all I can to the adds. Obviously pay attention to your stacks and keep AM up but help control the adds. All tanks have slows, stuns great aoe damage, etc. For all subsequent empowered mines we have both tanks on top of where they spawn and we wreck them.

Everything previously said are great tips, just do not forget that tanks can help a lot. Healers also have an assortment of stuns and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Did not realize you were talking 25m. My experience is only on 10m. Info should still be accurate though, just make sure tanks are helping!

Quote Originally Posted by glare View Post
    My guild is working on Heroic Siegecrafter. I think one of our big challenges is dealing with the crawler mines fast enough. When I watch kill-vids online it seems like those things just melt, but on our attempts they are staying up too long which is pulling deeps off Blackfuse.

My gut feeling is that the melee aren't chipping in aggressively enough. While discussing that the concern was raised about getting targeted by a mine at point-blank, so they are hanging back a bit farther and cleaving (except for the DK dropping a chill-snare on them).

As a frost mage I frozen-orb/ice-lance them, and then blizzard if there are a bunch up to help snare them. But I'm beginning to think I should just single-target nuke...

In any case, any tips/suggestions for the crawler mines for those who have been-there/done-that would be appreciated.
    go frost bomb, its a HUGE difference. it will be your top dmg ability. (remember to time ur pet freeze with the explosion for guaranteed crit too)