Thread: [TV] Dexter

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I agree, I think Isaak was the better antagonist. I didn't think season 4 was as good as people make it out to be, it was good, but not the best Dexter season imo. I think season 1 and 2 were the best, it just felt like they had so many ideas and more depth to the writing, not to mention it didn't seem as farfetched and stale as the latter seasons. I enjoyed every season in their own way, but nowhere near enough for me to rewatch them. The ending alone puts me off watching it, terrible. Real big shame as I was saying because it had the potential to be one of the big greats.
    I've rewatched it once before S8 aired. As a personal rating I would put it like season 2>1>4>7, those I think are worth rewatching. Other seasons 6>5>3>8.
    And also I agree about the Isaak part, he was my favorite antagonist, followed by trinity.

But yeah.. lumberdex. >_<

Last edited by mmoc83c3477b24; 2014-03-10 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted
    Well started last Sunday and just finished season 4 last night and just in case someone has not reached that part yet i wont say much but other people will know (the trinity finale) but i was pretty much devastated think i actually shed a tear or 2 . Had to watch the 1st episode of season 5 to see if that actually happened. Not shed a tear since ET when i was a kid.

Just started watching this show from the start after only having watched season 3-4 before, it's so god damn good... Sad that the ending, from what I've heard, is going to suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Just started watching this show from the start after only having watched season 3-4 before, it's so god damn good... Sad that the ending, from what I've heard, is going to suck.
    Don't let that get you down mate, keep watching, it's a top quality show and definitely worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Don't let that get you down mate, keep watching, it's a top quality show and definitely worth watching.
    It might be a better experience to simply skip the final season, sadly. They had some interesting themes, but compared to previous seasons... it felt like a different show, and was all over the place and felt like it lacked the cohesion of story other seasons had.

I really liked Dexter from the beginning, but it did start to slip in the later seasons. The people calling the shots on Dexter always said they had an idea of how it would end. I think the problem with Dexter, and the problem with many really good shows, is that they start out knowing how it will end, and then the show becomes highly rated or popular. Then the networks decide they want more seasons. Then the plan that the producers started off with gets drawn out or changed to fit a longer series.

It's always disappointing when a favorite show ends, but it is more disappointing when it gets drawn out and doesn't get the ending that it deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubsoda View Post
    Have to mention that I reported you, there's absolutely retarded major spoiler in your signature field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    It might be a better experience to simply skip the final season, sadly. They had some interesting themes, but compared to previous seasons... it felt like a different show, and was all over the place and felt like it lacked the cohesion of story other seasons had.
    Definitely, but you can't skip the final season and not see how it ends, no matter how bad it is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nonon Jakuzure View Post
    I really liked Dexter from the beginning, but it did start to slip in the later seasons. The people calling the shots on Dexter always said they had an idea of how it would end. I think the problem with Dexter, and the problem with many really good shows, is that they start out knowing how it will end, and then the show becomes highly rated or popular. Then the networks decide they want more seasons. Then the plan that the producers started off with gets drawn out or changed to fit a longer series.

It's always disappointing when a favorite show ends, but it is more disappointing when it gets drawn out and doesn't get the ending that it deserves.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonon Jakuzure View Post

Can't have been as bad as how i met your mother... 90% filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Can't have been as bad as how i met your mother... 90% filler.
    Like most sitcoms...

Breaking Bad and Dexter spoilers ahead!

Let me preface this by saying that I started Dexter about a month ago, with some time inbetween some seasons, and I'm typing this a week after I finished the entire series. Yes, there are some issues I have with the show, but I enjoyed it immensely, even moreso than Breaking Bad. Before I go further, Breaking Bad is undoubtedly fantastic, but I was incredibly bored watching the first six episodes in the last season. When I have to force myself to watch the last season something is seriously wrong. Not to mention the terrible ending (right, he just so happened to die the moment the police are in the background...*rolls eyes*). My main problem with Breaking Bad is that the main character isn't that sympathetic. I get that that's what they're going for, and I'm not knocking the series for it, I just preferred Breaking Bad at the beginning because he was this nerdy ''anybody'' guy that got dealt a shitty hand. That's relate-able...not some hardened ''mafia boss'' type that's impossible to do anything against. And, again, I don't fault the show for doing that, it was entertaining to watch him morally decay in such a way. I just prefer watching a character such as Dexter and his struggles.

But enough about Breaking Bad. Dexter was, and is, a fantastic show. My ranking of the seasons would be 5 > 4 > 1 ... > 6. Call me crazy, but I much enjoyed the fifth season with Lumen over any other season. Which is why it pissed me off that she left at the end of the season. It just didn't make any sense to me (I think I may have been saying ''what the fuck'' over and over for a while...). I understand and can accept the fact that she doesn't feel the need to kill anymore, but why the hell does that mean that you can't be with Dexter? I mean, he's been helping you with your problem the entire time, not to mention the fact that you just had sex, and fell asleep in each others arms the evening prior. It just came out of nowhere (amusingly, I watched an interview with the actress that played Lumen, and she said something similar). The trinity arc was fantastic, I won't get into that as I'm sure it's been discussed thoroughly. Season six...wow. That was seriously terrible and didn't seem to go anywhere up until the end of the last episode. The whole reveal that the professor was dead wasn't even an impactful reveal. What did that change? Only the fact that Dexter can't trust the ''student'', I guess, which he really should have known from the start.

And, finally, the ending. I really don't understand what all the hate is about. Sure, it wasn't as great as seasons four or five, or whatever. But I really enjoyed it. The season, while not spectacular (I'm trying to think of a show with a spectacular final season...nothing is really coming to mind...), did everything I wanted it to, minus the last five minutes. I get that they wanted to leave Dexter open for a possible new show or whatever, but it would have been so much better if he had truly passed. The whole ending with Deb really got me, I'm not ashamed to say that I cried. Deb is hands down one of my favorite characters of all time. Really...if they had cut the last scene with Dexter as a log truck driver...which, I might add, isn't that what happened at the end? I interpreted it as he was a log truck driver, not a lumberjack. Not that this will change anyone's views on the ending, I'm sure, but it's not like he decided to become a ballerina; it fits with his isolation and such...

hype hype hype - Dexter coming back!
    The Bay Harbor Butcher baaaaby
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    hype hype hype - Dexter coming back!
    The Bay Harbor Butcher baaaaby

Oh yeeeeeeeeah.

Watched this show when it was on air from season 1 to its (terrible) end. I know this is just a limited series but I hope they knock it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Oh yeeeeeeeeah.
    Watched this show when it was on air from season 1 to its (terrible) end. I know this is just a limited series but I hope they knock it out of the park.
    I had a gut feeling ever since it ended (terrible is such an understatement lol) - - that he would survive the storm, wash up somewhere - and it would come back!! - I had a feeling he'd wash up in Alberta Canada and be like a logger' woodsman, and thats somewhat the vibe i got from the teaser!!

Arthur Mitchell - - mother of god that character was amazing!
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    I had a gut feeling ever since it ended (terrible is such an understatement lol) - - that he would survive the storm, wash up somewhere - and it would come back!! - I had a feeling he'd wash up in Alberta Canada and be like a logger' woodsman, and thats somewhat the vibe i got from the teaser!!

Arthur Mitchell - - mother of god that character was amazing!

I remember, back around season 6, always thinking about how the show would end. Reading forums on the Internet back then had people always going back and forth between him either A.) being caught and put on death row... or B.) "escaping" and getting away with everything he's done. When the series finale finally came around, I was just put in awe in how bad it was. I do believe season 8 was rushed so that may have had a part in the overall feeling of the season being rushed in pace (like they were trying to hurry and get to the end) but all of the unwrapped story lines just added to the feeling of god awful.

It would have been cool if he washed up ashore somewhere with amnesia of who he was and started a brand new life somewhere... still dealing with his tendencies.

I'm kind of hoping they go in the direction of him having 2 Dark Passengers this season... 1 of Harry (the dark side) and 1 of Debra (the "good" side).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wouldn’t that be a dark passenger and a light passenger then?

I suppose technically, yes, but I was just using the title of "Dark Passenger" as the thing that influences Dexter's decisions (as he has personified them) regardless of them being good, bad or somewhere in between.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't honestly even properly remember how it ended so i have to go look it up again. The series did go in all direction.

But that character much like "Hannibal" was such an interesting creation to watch, the actors behind them also were superb.

Making it limited series is probably the correct call
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not make it to the end, it was spiraling downward. I think I made it to the end of Ray Stevenson's storyline. He was pretty much the only reason I even got that far. I have my reservations about Dexter being back, about 7 years to the day after the last post in this thread... but I'll keep up with things and hope for the best.
    /s

Man, the last few years were bizarre. There was one season where a shrink was trying to study him, knew what he did, but didn't turn him in, and tried to justify everything he did, trying to push him to be even more of a serial killer? Like, what?

And LaGuerta. I know you're supposed to hate Maria LaGuerta, and I didn't care for the character myself, but they fucking did her dirty. Like, holy shit. Come on Deb.

I feel like the last good season was the one with Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos (I think s5, after Trinity?) The Lumen season was just dumb as shit but tolerable, and then s7 and s8 was like, off the rails bad.

I hope Dexter has to come out of hiding because Astrid is killing people. That little girl was fucked up in the head.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well when they killed his wife in s3 they essentially took away the bruce wayne to the batman and instead of juggling that family/dark passenger life it just became about other crazy villains wanting to out crazy dexter. While he bangs hot pyscho's that end up wanting to kill him.

So it was just weird. Remember that season with miguel prado the like high level spanish attorney that wants to kill people because he sees dexter as such a good guy and wants to get in on the fun. And he ends up sending another serial killer after dexter. Like what a cluster fuck departure from what was quite a tight narrative show which started with the ice truck killer and went into his habits and daily life like his excessive eating for energy.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of baffling that they're trying to bring this back. Have we all forgotten that the end of this show was right up there with Lost and Game of Thrones for retroactively ruining the earlier seasons by rendering it all super pointless?

It was more of a slow decline, but man, that last season still jumped right off a damned cliff. And it's really only gonna be Michael C. Hall coming back, right? I mean, he's in Canada or something, everyone else who mattered to him basically is dead, except Harrison, who he abandoned, leaviong him with a serial killer who poisons people who get in her way. And who thinks Dexter's dead, so isn't keeping Harrison around for anything but sentimentality.

I just don't know where they can possibly take this.