Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Does Blizzard want me to repeatedly set fire to my goat?

This post is about the pet ability "corned" in the "cunning" spec, at 35% health
    your pet does 50% more damage and has a 60% reduced chance to be critically hit.

I can't figure this one out. There are many situations where your pet will not be
    targetted directly in pve/pvp and won't be taking significant aoe damage. Even
    when it is, it is often the case that the damage increase can still be worth more
    than the lost health. Especially, if your pet's defensive cooldowns are managed
    intelligently.

So, I tried sticking my pet in a fire before I entered a bg or dungeon/raid etc and
    getting its health down to 35%, then resummoning it. I seem to be getting noticeably
    better damage with this approach and my pet doesn't die any more than it does
    normally.

Am I missing something here?

It seems like Blizzard want me to set fire to my goat repeatedly.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2014-04-16 at 10:59 AM.

In a raid situation it eventually gets smart heals.

In a pvp situation it was supposed to be a deterrent to just killing the pet (fails at that tbh).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    In a raid situation it eventually gets smart heals.

In a pvp situation it was supposed to be a deterrent to just killing the pet (fails at that tbh).
    Yeah, healing usually tops up the pet health eventually. The key word being "eventually". 50% damage
    is pretty good even temporarily.

I'm guessing you are talking about high-end arena when you refer to killing the pet? I have never encountered
    much of that in normal or RBG.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Yeah, healing usually tops up the pet health eventually. The key word being "eventually". 50% damage
    is pretty good even temporarily.

I'm guessing you are talking about high-end arena when you refer to killing the pet? I have never encountered
    much of that in normal or RBG.
    in a raid situation you will lose more DPS from it having the wrong spec than you gain from the 2 seconds it has 50% increased damage.

In pvp in higher rated arena, people will look for any opportunity to kill your pet.

Deleted
    in a raid situation you will lose more DPS from it having the wrong spec than you gain from the 2 seconds it has 50% increased damage.

In pvp in higher rated arena, people will look for any opportunity to kill your pet.
    Yeah that my take also. But that's about 5% of the content/player base in the game, you are really
    only talking about heroics and top-rated arena.

Even in those situatiions there are exceptions to the rule with specific boss mechanics and arena
    player combinations. This is a string to your bow even when its not mandatory.

Deleted
    Kissthebaby religiously sacrifices lots of goats to appease the gods at blizzard headquarters. Maybe he can give you the answers you seek.

Could this possibly be of use on a fight such as malkorok? You could perhaps swap between damaged pets at the start of each phase 1 (seeing ass it would get healed up during phase 2)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    Kissthebaby religiously sacrifices lots of goats to appease the gods at blizzard headquarters. Maybe he can give you the answers you seek.
    Sacrifices have been around since the dawn of man, just yesterday I sacrificed 57 and a half goats for a good thok parse, but it seems I was a half a goat short since I did the whole fight without aspect of hawk on but I did have godly procs. According to game of thrones lore the best way to cleanse your soul is to be burned to please the fire god. So yes I agree that burning goats is the best way to sacrifice. Very good question

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by femur68 View Post
    Could this possibly be of use on a fight such as malkorok? You could perhaps swap between damaged pets at the start of each phase 1 (seeing as it would get healed up during phase 2)
    Yeah, that's the type of creative approach I was thinking of.

the malkorok example is interesting indeed, but lets look at the big picture:

you gain a 50% damage increase to your pet but at the same time lose rabid and spiked collar in ADDITION to have to factor in a 3 second dismiss pet cast.

Gut feeling tells me it wont be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissthebaby View Post
    Sacrifices have been around since the dawn of man, just yesterday I sacrificed 57 and a half goats for a good thok parse, but it seems I was a half a goat short since I did the whole fight without aspect of hawk on but I did have godly procs. According to game of thrones lore the best way to cleanse your soul is to be burned to please the fire god. So yes I agree that burning goats is the best way to sacrifice. Very good question
    Whaaat!?! ME TOO. Jesus. I could facepalm myself for having hawk off.

I find it strange that hawk goes off every time you switch specs, it's so passive I just expect it to be on all the time....

...not that I'm bad enough to do any fights with Hawk off....

Deleted
    the malkorok example is interesting indeed, but lets look at the big picture:

you gain a 50% damage increase to your pet but at the same time lose rabid and spiked collar in ADDITION to have to factor in a 3 second dismiss pet cast.

Gut feeling tells me it wont be worth it.
    You get the speed increases though. That won't compensate by itself but, depending on the fight,
    it isn't a negligible factor either. Actually for me, it is a huge factor as my pet always seems to
    be in the arse end of nowhere, but my pets are unusually temperamental.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I find it strange that hawk goes off every time you switch specs, it's so passive I just expect it to be on all the time....

Hey hey it happens sometimes >.<

Nothing wrong with a smart use of mechanics to add a little more padding to meter.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Suuuuure you haven't : P. Anyone who's played hunter long enough does it eventually. I like to take it a step further though. For example, my guild's first Lei Shen kill I didn't realize I had my Cloak of Coordination on until they were handing out loot hahaha. The saddest part of that was I still topped the meters : /, not a good group, that one.

And that's why I have a WeakAura all in my face when I don't have Aspect of the Iron/Hawk active.

And then I don't have a pet out for half a fight.. (I got a WA for that too now)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    And that's why I have a WeakAura all in my face when I don't have Aspect of the Iron/Hawk active.

And then I don't have a pet out for half a fight.. (I got a WA for that too now)
    Yeah finally made one myself. Literally is a huge button in my face if hawk isn't up at all -_-

Off topic : This title made me giggle.

OT : The malkorok thing seems like a neat idea. Only concern would be if 8 secs of downtime be worth the extra DPS the pet would do.

Did anyone check to see if pets get the debuff on Malkorok? Just looked at my logs and didn't see that pets were getting it. If they don't then using a low hp cunning pet won't do anything for you as it will still be splash healed.