Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    There are still different levels of it. But nvm.

You still seem to think this is a recent trend. One mistake and its a raid wipe is not something recent and has been around since a long time ago.
    I think, for casual-attitude groups, even things that one-shot players are enough to cause instant wipes and it's easy to forget those. The reason is because if a healer or tank dies then you can't taunt-swap or heal through raid damage, or if a DPS player dies you won't meet a damage requirement. For high-skill groups, these things can be recovered from; for newer, casual-attitude groups, it's extremely difficult.

The best fight of the expansion, in my opinion of course, was Lei Shen. He was well designed, the mechanics were relatively obvious and quite clever, and the execution and output required was pretty high but not so bad that it felt insurmountable.

I'd even go as far as saying it's Hazzikostas' only really-well designed encounter. Scott Mercer was simply better at the job in pretty much every meaningful way, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    Ahh but what is a one shot to one group is just a bad recoverable hit to another.
    I think that's usually dictated by skill; good groups recover, casual-attitude groups can't (or will do so significantly less often). Alas, we're really talking about the latter which is why we're all arguing, hoho. :P

Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    Depending on the fight we will sometimes keep going even if we know we won't down it. Just to get people more practice on the mechanics.
    I think there's a lot to be said for this and, as erstwhile hinted, many of these issues are community-driven rather than by design. We're just at the stage where mechanics are so gimmicky, that a wipe is very soon on the cards when something goes wrong. Lord Rhyolith was a good example of this; if one of your drivers died (and with all the shit going on, it could happen easily), he was in the lava before you had a chance to recover.

Horrible fight.

Horrible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    I think, for casual-attitude groups, even things that one-shot players are enough to cause instant wipes and it's easy to forget those. The reason is because if a healer or tank dies then you can't taunt-swap or heal through raid damage, or if a DPS player dies you won't meet a damage requirement. For high-skill groups, these things can be recovered from; for newer, casual-attitude groups, it's extremely difficult.

The best fight of the expansion, in my opinion of course, was Lei Shen. He was well designed, the mechanics were relatively obvious and quite clever, and the execution and output required was pretty high but not so bad that it felt insurmountable.

I'd even go as far as saying it's Hazzikostas' only really-well designed encounter. Scott Mercer was simply better at the job in pretty much every meaningful way, IMO.

I think that's usually dictated by skill; good groups recover, casual-attitude groups can't (or will do so significantly less often). Alas, we're really talking about the latter which is why we're all arguing, hoho. :P
    In either way, this is not a recent trend. It has been the same since WotLK really.

- - - Updated - - -

Try to refrain from generalising casual-minded groups as bad. I know a ton of casual players that are great at this game. Good groups recover. Bad groups do not. Being hardcore or casual is irrelevant. We have hardcore guilds on our realm that fall into the category that they would not recover, buy by throwing in insane amount of wipes they still get the bosses down.

The lesson blizzard learned: You almost want strategy to be non-existent in LFR, even something like "kill the adds when they spawn, then attack the boss" is too tricky for people to understand

I beleive blizz are going in the right direction with the Silver Prooving grounds requried for Heroics and they should make GOLD required for LFR

Further more in WoD there will be a specific place where boosted 90s will be released and will learn their abilities at some slow pace before being pushed into WoD's starting zones wich will help with the 90 boost problem that we have now.
    Blizz unleashed 90's into timless isle hoping they are ppl who know what the isle is about or will get friends to tell them but that got abused by the bloody coin farmers

So overall it's looking good except they need to add proving groudns gold for LFR or make a quest line that unlocks LFR of some sort .... i have 12 alts and will probably be slightly anoyed to do either 12+ 10 times Prooving grounds (for hybrids you need to do it 2 or even 3 times) or a long quest line but it will be helpfull for everyone later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    LFR is for people who don't have the time (or aren't willing to put in the time) to learn how to play their class or the game.

The more nerfs, the better it is for everyone.
    Dude please >.> a fucking LFR wing takes more time than a full clear on Heroic... don't bring the time argument here. It's bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    In either way, this is not a recent trend. It has been the same since WotLK really.
    Individual mechanics, or the volume of them, didn't kill people anywhere near as much throughout WotLK, certainly until the 2nd era of raiding began with heroic modes.

They're not new, but they're certainly more numerous now.

Try to refrain from generalising casual-minded groups as bad. I know a ton of casual players that are great at this game. Good groups recover. Bad groups do not. Being hardcore or casual is irrelevant. We have hardcore guilds on our realm that fall into the category that they would not recover, buy by throwing in insane amount of wipes they still get the bosses down.
    I've tried to be as clear as possible by using "casual-time" and "casual-attitude" when I've been talking about groups. Clearly, the odd exception will still exist and we both already know that.

You're being needlessly pedantic here, and I'm not sure why. It looks like a thinly-veiled attempt at slighting people, which isn't going to make the discussion go any better.

In fact, it'll bog it down in flaming. Let's try to avoid that.

Deleted
    I've tried to be as clear as possible by using "casual-time" and "casual-attitude" when I've been talking about groups. Clearly, the odd exception will still exist and we both already know that.

You're being needlessly pedantic here, and I'm not sure why.
    Sorry if you took it as a direct offense, was nothing against you. Just grown overly tiresome of how the word 'casual' has been hijacked as a synonym for bad. I know so many people that are awesome players that play completely casual both in terms of time and attitude. It might be hard for you to believe considering our previous discussions but I consider myself to have quite the casual attitude myself.

I just believe strongly that casual and bad should be seperated since it is not really nice to the people that are truely casual to put them in the same group as 'bad'.
    Especially in the example where I quoted you, where you first mention "Good groups", then you mention "casual-attitude groups" as they are the opposite of good, by extension bad.

Either way, I apoligise if you took direct offense. More of a straw that broke the camels back than an attack towards you.

Individual mechanics, or the volume of them, didn't kill people anywhere near as much throughout WotLK, certainly until the 2nd era of raiding began with heroic modes.

They're not new, but they're certainly more numerous now.
    Again, I gotta say I disagree here. I do not think there are much more individual mechanics that kill people nowadays than since 3.1 (which is where modern raiding started)