Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Final Fantasy question

I've heard that Final Fantasy story is an amazing one, so I would like to give it a try, but I dunno where to start from? Is there a movie or anime telling full story of this franchise? If there are multiple movies could you write me an order in which they should be watched and provide me with link or some sort of direction of where to watch it (site), would be rly grateful. Tnx in advance!

Each Final Fantasy game is it's own story. There really is no connection between any of them, except familiarity. It's perfectly fine if you'd want to start with the first game, but there is a bit of a chronological distortion from titles as the transition between Japan/America skewed the "titles" of them.

Personally, I can't really recommend where to start, but I can recommend which ones to definitely play, and that is: FF 9 (the best one, imo), FF 10, FF 7, and FF 6.

Also, the first Tactics or the War of the Lion remake for PSP is exceptionally good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanus View Post
    I've heard that Final Fantasy story is an amazing one, so I would like to give it a try, but I dunno where to start from? Is there a movie or anime telling full story of this franchise? If there are multiple movies could you write me an order in which they should be watched and provide me with link or some sort of direction of where to watch it (site), would be rly grateful. Tnx in advance!
    Well there are FF 1-14, various other games, there was Advent Children that is suppose to take place after FF7. Then there's Final Fantasy: Spirits Within (not related to the games). Some hated it, some liked it. Then there's Final Fantasy Unlimited (anime) that is it's own environment.

Generally the games, movies and anime aren't connected to each other so you can play/watch one and it not feel like you are missing something with the exception of Advent Children. Many will tell you to play FFVII but it's really taste. I suggest looking up each one and see if the story itself interests you and if it's something you might like. Each one is a hit or miss with people and many will have their favorites and dislikes.

I'd personally recommend starting with 9. I don't think it's the best in the series, but to me, it's the perfect mix of old and new. It contains virtually all of the themes that you expect out of a Final Fantasy.

4-10 are worth playing imo along with Final Fantasy Tactics. I put my personal Favorite as 9. Nothing they've put out after X is worth even a glance though XV is looking decent so far.

I'd recommend finding Final Fantasy 5. Yes, it didn't have such emphasize on story as later games, but it isn't story which made FF successful, and it isn't story which makes the games. FF XIII is an example of subversion, a lot of people avoid it, because it might have some interesting story, but it doesn't have much else beside it...

After FF 5 you can try to look what you liked about it most - if you want more unusual stories - go for FF 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. If you want big world and emphasize on exploration go for FF 3, 4, 12. Not recommending FF 1, it was good, but it was quite short in comparison to other games. Almost each FF (exception - FFT/FF 12/ Vagrant Story) had its own world, which wasn't really connected much to other FF world. FF 11 and 14 are MMOs. FF 11 was similar to WoW just more group oriented (you could do nothing without group, at least back when I had look at FF11), FF 14 - well, just look at respective sub-forum here to make your own opinion.

There are also some spin-offs: Final Fantasy Tactics, but it is of different genre (SRPG), and isn't exactly easy for newcomers, but if you will like FF XII world, you might want to check this one too, as it takes place in same world. There was also Vagrant Story, which also took place in FF12/FFT world, but was not part of FF series, though you could name it as FF Action/RPG. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - it is FF "lite", interesting and unusual game nevertheless, but not really serious and deep. There were also 3 games from Final Fantasy Legend series for early handhelds, but they were also not that much serious and deep (mostly due to limitations of handhelds).

Play in any order, but it is suggested to try 10 and earlier before going to the "new" games.
    The combat system in the new ones splits opinions.
    Ï personally find it terrible, and pretend Final Fantasies after 10 never happened

you should also play all the kingdom hearts games.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Let's see. I'd say start with 9, but I also say, go back to it and play it a second time after you play most of the others before it. That way, you get an appreciation for all the references it contains. Do not watch Advent Children before playing FF7, or else you'll be incredibly confused. Also, do not take Spirits Within to be representative of the franchise because it no where near the same thing.

While the majority of the games take place on different worlds, but the connecting point of the franchise is the presence of crystals on each world and how they play a part in each story. When you play the games, pay attention to that point.

The original would be unnecessarily difficult for most new players, given how different it is from what we've collectively gotten used to.

Also: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    you should also play all the kingdom hearts games.
    Good, yes, but without the 7, 8, 10 and whichever else being played (or at least read about) for reference, it'll make even less sense.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As has been said before, story-wise they're mostly unrelated, so you can start anywhere you want (except direct sequels of course). Beyond that, the ideal game to start with depends on you.

Someone will probably berate me for saying this about a story-based RPG, but FF7, a popular one, might not be the best place to start because it's the first 3D one and it looks absolutely hideous now. If you like your graphics to look at least acceptable, you'd have to go with 8 or higher, or one of the 2D ones since 2D doesn't age nearly as badly as 3D.

Each FF has absolutely no connection to each other (except for a minor gag character who can travel between the FF universes), so you can start where ever you like.

The best FF? That's gonna have to be your opinion. Typically, the first FF a person plays becomes and forever remains the FF said player loves most.

FFs 1-5 were good, same plot redone.

FF 6 was a completely different take and is heavily drama/saga focused.

FF7 is a thriller.

FF8s-9 were legendary adventures.

FF10 was a fairy tale.

FF 12 was the JRPG edition of Star Wars.

FF13 was horrific.

FFs 11 & 14 are MMOs with vastly different styles. 11 is more of an old school RPG; a true FF MMO. 14 is a modern day traditional MMO. Take your pick.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to say. Each game really plays differently. They all use the same core battle system but there are changes in pretty much every game. I would take a look at youtube videos/wiki info for each and play the one you think sounds the most interesting.

Just about all are available, though if you want them in their original forms, that is gonna be tough to impossible (outside emulators).

Final Fantasy 1 was released on the NES way back, then again on the Playstation, the PSP, possibly PS2, and I think the DS. Basic story of save the world. The non-NES version have "updated" graphics, which I feel reduces the appeal. Still, a good game.

Final Fantasy 2 (actual 2) never released in the US until it was packaged with FF1 on the Playstation, under "Final Fantasy Origins". Also available on the same platforms as FF1. Typically touted as a bad game, as it ENCOURAGED you to attack your own party members, as that was the only way to improve your defenses (besides being hit by enemies). No idea about the story, as I couldn't force myself to play it.

Final Fantasy 3 (actual 3) was another never released to the US, until they remade it on the Nintendo DS, which is the only way that you will be able to play this game. Haven't played it, can't tell you how it is.

Final Fantasy 4 released back on the SNES as Final Fantasy 2 for the US. I believe it is the usual save the world story. Haven't played it. Released with Chrono Trigger on the Playstation under "Final Fantasy Chronicles", and not sure what other platform it was released on.

Final Fantasy 5 wasn't available in the US until it released with 6 on the Playstation as "Final Fantasy Anthologies". Not sure what other platforms it was available on. Haven't played it, so can't comment on it.

Final Fantasy 6 released on the SNES as FF3. Packaged with FF5 on the Playstation. Heard it's an awesome game, haven't played it myself (never had a SNES, and was never able to get it for the Playstation).

FF7 was first available on Playstation. Many say it's the greatest FF ever made. It is definitely the most asked for to have a sequel/remake, but Square refuses to do so until they can get a FF that outsells it (FF7 is the one that has sold the most out of any of them), so there's basically a guarantee they will never touch it again, despite doing so would inject them with a lot of money.

FF8, I have heard, has a good story, but people hated 2 aspects of it: Monsters leveled with you (instead of like previous games where you could grind to outlevel a particular difficult boss, and have an easier time to defeat it), and you got your magic from drawing it out of monsters, had to slot it to your character, and it had limited uses before you had to draw it out again.

FF9 has been said to be the last great FF game, which I would have to agree with (though I liked 10). Great story, lots of references to previous games.

FF10, to me, was the last good FF game. Many hated the voice acting. I really enjoyed the sphere system they had for leveling. Last Final Fantasy to focus more on story than graphics (my opinion).

You can easily skip the first 3 games in the series without much trouble. Possibly even 4 and 5, though you will apparently miss out on some good times. A lot of people will say start with 6, which would be a great spot. 6 still has SNES 16-bit graphics, as a warning. I say, go with 6-10, as well as Kingdom Hearts games (I think they have 3 now? I know 1 and 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    as well as Kingdom Hearts games (I think they have 3 now? I know 1 and 2).
    We're actually up to 7 Kingdom Hearts games with an 8th on the way, not counting remakes or the non-canon cell phone game.

FF4, 6, 8, and 10 are the only ones worth playing.

I'm really surprised people are saying number 9 should be the first to start off with. The story was pretty bad/generic compared to say 4 or 6.

FF6 in my opinion has the greatest story of all time for any video game.

Hard to say FF7 FF8 FF10 all pretty good so we're the originals but i'd recommend starting with 7-10 first, a lot will try and dmeonize the lightning saga of FF 13 FF 13-2 and Lightning Returns but they are pretty good Lightning returns was great very fun combat.

If you like tactical games check out FF tactics as well.

I am a huge fan of FF7 if you do decide to get into it prepare to play the Ps2/Psp spin offs and watch the movie.

With that said play any of them but I personally enjoyed FF7 and FFX. I haven't played FFX-2 but from the demo I checked out and from what i heard others say it was a bad game and was "Girly" no offence to girls.

To me FFXIII is crap and I personally couldn't stand it. FFXIV A Realm Reborn is the first Final Fantasy I have enjoyed in a long time but ill admit I am barely paying attion to the story.

Overall you can't go wrong with playing each one.

Also to add I didn't mind FF8 but there was boring moments I didn't care for. Story wasn't half bad ether.

I have personally though about checking out FFXII again because I didn't give it a far shake.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-04-21 at 04:59 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Adding onto what other people have said.

Steam has 7/8 available, although you'd want to get a sound mod as they didn't do it justice on the steam launches.

10 (and the rarely mentioned 10-2, because most people thought it was an atrocity) just got an HD remake on playstation 3 if you have one.

Bravely Default launched recently on the Nintendo3DS. While not being under the final fantasy title, its under the same maker, has a lot of the same classes, the 4 crystal theme, and a similar (although with some new skews) battle system.

If you don't care about graphics and want to experience what others say was a defining moment in gaming for them, either attempt to find a copy or download an emulator. If something looking less than polished leaves a sour taste, here are your better options.

Also, another sidenote. Some of the games just kinda throw you into the story. The first one I played was 10 and for the first 20 minutes or so I was thoroughly confused. EXPECT THIS, THE GAME WILL EXPLAIN ITSELF. DO NOT LET THIS DETER YOU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    Adding onto what other people have said.

Steam has 7/8 available, although you'd want to get a sound mod as they didn't do it justice on the steam launches.

10 (and the rarely mentioned 10-2, because most people thought it was an atrocity) just got an HD remake on playstation 3 if you have one.

Bravely Default launched recently on the Nintendo3DS. While not being under the final fantasy title, its under the same maker, has a lot of the same classes, the 4 crystal theme, and a similar (although with some new skews) battle system.

If you don't care about graphics and want to experience what others say was a defining moment in gaming for them, either attempt to find a copy or download an emulator. If something looking less than polished leaves a sour taste, here are your better options.

Also, another sidenote. Some of the games just kinda throw you into the story. The first one I played was 10 and for the first 20 minutes or so I was thoroughly confused. EXPECT THIS, THE GAME WILL EXPLAIN ITSELF. DO NOT LET THIS DETER YOU.
    Bravely Default was at one point an FF game during development. It's also a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: 4 Heros of light for the DS. The game's full name in Japan is actually Bravely Default: Flying Fairy in order to call back to it's roots. Sadly that subtitle was nixed during localization (Though the title screen of the demo version shows "Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies" )

It's an FF game at heart and all but in name. Also on a side note, international releases of the game are based on the updated re-release: Bravely Default: For the Second, which changed a few things and added game play features intended for the sequel, Bravely Second, as a sort of test bed. Updated releases are pretty standard practice with SE's FF and KH games as well.

Also I loved 10-2. It's story wasn't the best, but it was a happy version of a very depressing world. Also combat was alot of fun. The ability to change jobs mid-battle is a major boon.
    Also should be mentioned that FFX|X2HD is also on vita and features Cross Save between the two. Though you can only get X in a physical card. X-2 (And I assume Last Mission, which is treated like a standalone game from the PS3's menu) must be downloaded with a code included with the physical card. (Last mission is a bit different then main game it's a side feature to as it sticks X-2's main cast in a Rogue like (IE Something like Nethack or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2014-04-21 at 05:31 AM.

I would start with X and X-2, and then work your way down to 9, 8 and 7. From 6 and below things start to become very very outdated so you might not have the patience to start there.

The games after X and X-2 are a bit different and not as many people revere them as much as the previous games.

- - - Updated - - -

Also make sure to play the international version of X if you don't get the HD version, beating Penance is one of the most fun things I've ever done in any video game.