Thread: DPS help please

DPS help please

I need some help with my low dps please. My level 90 elemental shammy is doing about 70-90k less dps than I believe he should be doing for an example. His current gear score is 540. I'm wondering how much of the problem has to do with the fact that I never learned how to type back in the day. I point & click because I can't dance my fingers across the keyboard w\out looking at it like most of my friends do. I know the priorities & rotations he should be doing from Icy Veins & Noxxic but still my overall DPS is substantially below others on recount. For example I ran LFR TOT wing 3 just now. On Primordius the top 6 on recount were all over 200k while mine showed as 102k. Since I can't type I cluster my icons together at the front of the action bars so I'm not having to move the mouse much to cast spells & I move using the arrow keys(which I don't have to look down at). Now I KNOW that my DPS will be lower than most others by doing it this way but I don't think I should be half or more less than the top 10 each recount. I can't help feeling that I'm missing something major here. I'm guessing that my DPS is suffering each time I have to pause casting LB or lava burst to reapply flame shock or drop totems again(& yes I'm using ascendance & such when they're up) but I don't think it should be that much of a loss. Against a boss in LFR should I say not bother quickly pausing casting lightning bolt or lava burst to drop an earthquake under boss for added DPS(not sure if not casting every DPS spell I have is in the case of earthquake here hurting my main dps spell casting)?

Several of my friends have 10 & 25 man raids each week but I don't ask to or get invited to go along with my DPS not being anywhere near what it should be based on my current gear. It makes it VERY frustrating knowing I'll never have even a chance at getting one of the Garrosh heirloom weapons since they don't have a chance of dropping in the LFR version of SoO (THANKS BLIZZ LOL, but that's another can of worms. Any help is APPRICIATED.

- - - Updated - - -

OK SOME help would be appreciated LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Shaman

Thanks for the move Darsithis.

Albar45 can you please provide a link to your toons armory and any world of logs combat meters for analysis?

- - - Updated - - -

Also consider getting one of these bad boys:

Razer Naga.

Clicking is the bane of DPS my friend. One of the biggest limitations with shaman dps at the moment is the importance of getting off every possible spell immediately upon cooldown. Unfortunately due to the lack of damage across the board you need to be spot on with your rotation or you will never perform better than anyone else.

Is there a physical reason why you can't memorize/press keys without looking?

At the moment shaman DPS is ranking basically bottom of the barrel. So unless you perform 10x better than the average shaman an average warlock will destroy you on damage just due to class benefits. This will be very hard to achieve whilst clicking. Seriously consider buying that mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by fearom View Post
    At the moment shaman DPS is ranking basically bottom of the barrel. So unless you perform 10x better than the average shaman an average warlock will destroy you on damage just due to class benefits. This will be very hard to achieve whilst clicking.
    This pretty much. In my opinion, anyone even semi-serious about the game should use keybinds. As hard as it's going to be breaking old habits, you need to get used to using your keyboard to DPS. Just simply using 1-5 for spells and WASD for movement will net you results, it may feel weird at first but you'll massively benefit from it.

Thanks guys. No there's nothing physically keeping myself from doing so I just never learned how to play simply using the keyboard. My low DPS applies to all my toons, I just used my shammy as an example. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Keltset/simple . I don't want to top the meters by any means. I just want to not hear that "you don't play/DPS good enough to come along to where the best gear is"> I'll talk to a friend of mine about that mouse. Sorry bout posting in the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by albar45 View Post
    I'll talk to a friend of mine about that mouse.
    I'd get used to keybinds first before you consider buying a Naga. One step at a time!

You should consider getting weak auras one of the best addons in the game, helps a lot with tracking dots buffs and more if setup correctly.

Keybinds are your best friend because they increase your reaction times. Clicking adds on inactive time which seriously hurts DPS, so keybind your main abilities. Usually the norm is to put main spells as 1-5, above your WASD movement keys. Some people like using ESDF instead to free up the QAZ keys which makes a lot of sense, so if you're learning to use the keyboard more than the mouse, this is a good opportunity (I just got so used to WASD that changing that is like changing my home row typing!).

Since you're Elemental you're fairly fortunate in not having a complex rotation, so learning keybinds over clicking will be easier. My layout, for instance, is:
    1) Flameshock (Shift-1 is Searing Totem) 2) Lightning Bolt 3) Lava Burst 4) Chain Lightning, T is Wind Shear, F is Earth Shock (for Fulmination), the latter numeric keys are totems and the Function keys (F1-F4) are cooldowns like Ascendence, Healing Tide, Healing Stream, Ancestral Guidance.
    If you use Elemental Blast obviously you'll need to put that in your numeric keys, probably 5 and push CL to 6 (or you could do a modifier macro for LB and CL, casting LB when 2 is pushed and CL when Shift-2 is pushed for example).

The 2 key has always been my "spam" button regardless of which class I'm playing (ie for my Disc Priest it's Smite, for my Hunter it's Steady Shot), as it's a good idea to follow similar keybinds for similar spells across characters so your muscle memory does most of the heavy lifting.

It takes practice, but it's worth it and you'll get there. When I started playing WoW I clicked everything but forced myself to learn keybinding and the results more than paid off.

Your spec and gear looks fine, however I would consider going for an Elemental Fury build. It is a much more simplistic rotation and works really nicely with the games current raid mechanics.

Like Anzen and Shockeye said, if you can learn your keybindings that will be the key.

Try going to a training dummy with your primary rotational abilities numbered 1-5 on your toolbar. Forget about looking anywhere but your keyboard and your toolbar and focus on getting that rotation down.

flame shock, lightning bolt, lava burst, elemental blast(or unleashed elements if you spec into FB), earth shock.

The above abilities are your core dps talents for a single target rotation.

Keep your flame shock up, use EB/UE and lava burst on cooldown, use earth shock once you max your fulmination stacks then use lightning bolt at all other times.

Once you have this basic rotation down try to implement different abilities, chain lightning, ascendance, etc. etc. Just practice practice practice.

Most of all, make it as comfortable and natural as possible. The goal is that you can press all of these buttons with your eyes closed.

Deleted
    At the moment shaman DPS is ranking basically bottom of the barrel. So unless you perform 10x better than the average shaman an average warlock will destroy you on damage just due to class benefits. This will be very hard to achieve whilst clicking. Seriously consider buying that mouse.
    Great exaggeration. No, Warlocks are not 10x better. Destro is slightly ahead on single target and AoE. And yes Elemental is pretty much below average on DPS compared to all other classes. Still not 10x worse then warlocks, just slightly below.

From my experience it's just bad players needing something to blame when they are at the bottom of the DPS meter.
    Last edited by mmocacb1eadbce; 2014-04-24 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by earthan View Post
    Great exaggeration. No, Warlocks are not 10x better. Destro is slightly ahead on single target and AoE. And yes Elemental is pretty much below average on DPS compared to all other classes. Still not 10x worse then warlocks, just slightly below.

From my experience it's just bad players needing something to blame when they are at the bottom of the DPS meter.
    Are you playing the same World of Warcraft everyone else is?

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Malkorok/25H/100/14/60/p99/

Okay okay, not 10x but uh... "just slightly below" - man you cray cray.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and, I didn't say warlocks are 10x better. I said, you need to be 10x better than the average shaman to be better than an average warlock.

e.g. "10x better" shaman would be 95th percentile dps, which is what, 440kish dps vs. average lock 40th percentile (500k) is still going to win.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. you didn't add anything to this post other than start drama. Why bother?

Deleted
    @fearom

You might want to base your argumentation on something different from Top100 statistics, since you are not looking at the average shaman.

For your example with Top100 this means:
    The 5 best ranked shamans would not even be able to compete with the 40th best ranked warlock.

This is still an interesting information, but considering that Top100 are often quite screwed, maybe working with the whole data is more appropriate?

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentres View Post
    @fearom

You might want to base your argumentation on something different from Top100 statistics, since you are not looking at the average shaman.
    Correct, as stated above you must be 10x better than the average shaman to compare with an AVERAGE warlock, but okay changed to all parses within last 3 months.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Malkorok/25H/all/14/90/p99/
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Malkorok/25H/all/14/90/p80/

-.-

Okay the top shaman across all data parses beats an absolutely average lock by 2k dps...

Deleted
    Why are you looking at Malkorok? Don't Warlocks shadowburn the adds right before they die there?

That's like saying, Affliction warlocks are way better because they can do 1.5mil DPS on multidotting.

Quote Originally Posted by earthan View Post
    Why are you looking at Malkorok? Don't Warlocks shadowburn the adds right before they die there?

That's like saying, Affliction warlocks are way better because they can do 1.5mil DPS on multidotting.
    Feel free to pick a boss yourself, you can do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fearom View Post
    Feel free to pick a boss yourself, you can do it.
    You upset?