Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warlords of Draenor + E-sport = true?

So, with the growing e-sport scene, and the big success stories of games like Dota 2, World of Tanks and League of Legends, Do you believe blizzard will do more with warcraft, to make it a viable e-sport arena?
    I surely do hope so.

WoW is just not a good fit for e-sports and was not build for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with Xjev, WoW's mechanics and gameplay dont lend themselves into the E-sport scene and honestly imho Blizz shouldn't revamp game systems to satisfy the e-sport crowd.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Besides, Blizzard already has Starcraft 2 as their e-sport don't they? I don't think they'd try to force it into another game, but then again, they might if they see a profit.

Well, in general. I just want more attention and hype arround pvp. Because pvp in the warcraft franchise could be so much more than it is at the moment. Maybe im just to much of a warcraft fanboy, wanting everything i like about other games to be part of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethes89 View Post
    So, with the growing e-sport scene, and the big success stories of games like Dota 2, World of Tanks and League of Legends, Do you believe blizzard will do more with warcraft, to make it a viable e-sport arena?
    I surely do hope so.
    Fuck no, I don't know if you were around during TBC when they were really pushing this. It fucked up class balancing majorly when everything had to be balanced around arena. PvE specs took always the short stick in changes to keep things balanced (lol at that notion as well for the era) because there was big money flowing.

Never again.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    they tried that during BC and WOTLK..

thing is it's a mess you can barely see what's going on etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Besides, Blizzard already has Starcraft 2 as their e-sport don't they? I don't think they'd try to force it into another game, but then again, they might if they see a profit.
    Hell, hearthstone pulls in more viewers than starcraft nowdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethes89 View Post
    I surely do hope so.
    They tried the e-sport thing with WoW during TBC and Wrath. It was dropped for a variety of reasons. I doubt Blizzard would go back and try again.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

No, people tried but it never pans out viewer wise or even remotely close to the entertainment level.
    Stay salty my friends.

The only way I can see WoW PvP being eSport material is if Blizzard made every ability have a PvP version so that way they could balance the PvP versions without having to affect PvE. That way you can start to work forward to making it a lot more balance inside and outside eSports. But I don't see Blizzard ever doing that, and they already have Starcraft 2, and Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are potential eSports candidates.
    World of Warcraft: Level 60 Blood Elf Holy Paladin

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As already said above. WoW as an Esport was done and it was incredibly boring. MLG dropped it for a few reasons.

Because of the PVE PVE mix of the game, the imbalance in the game is far to high to be taken seriously at that type of level. Couple that with the cookie cutter teams that we see every single season, we get matches that are literally a mirror image team for team.

Matches are very hard to set up with the way the servers are. The tools to create the matches arent as available with other games.

Blizzard has Hearthstone, Starcraft and soon Heroes of the Storm, there is absolutely no need to strive to get WoW back to that platform.

It was boring as hell to watch during TBC and Wrath.

They pushed e-sports just as hard in SC2 and it blew up in their face.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I read on Twitter a while back that the MLG guy wanted to talk with Kim Phan (E-Sports director at Blizzard) to get WoW back into MLG.

https://twitter.com/MrAdamAp/status/444196493956632576

Deleted
    jay wilson on pvp:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLWpT_nsTE

tldr: pvp doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    jay wilson on pvp:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLWpT_nsTE

tldr: pvp doesnt matter

Hence, Blizzard allowing bots to run rampant and destroy BGs. They simply do not care. Luckily, enough people are figuring it out and unsubbing. A couple years from now when WoW subs have tanked even further you will see the devs try to court the PvP crowd again but it will be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    . MLG dropped it for a few reasons.
    It was dropped by MLG due to lack of a spectator client. Blizzard refused to update it, and it became unusable. (This is a matter of fact.).
    MLG has always said they'd love to do WoW arena again, and very recently they appear to have entered into talks with Blizzard about hosting it once more.

Furthermore, to say that TBC & WotLK was an attempt to push WoW as an esport is not only far fetched, it's also incredibly silly to say so. PVP balance changes were only done with major content patches, and generally only if the issues were apparent in PvE too.

Having played arena since TBC, I can tell you pvp/esports has never been part of the Bliz. agenda until now.
    ONly now is there a pvp focused developer.

I wouldn't mind seeing top-notch Ashran battles being streamed.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    WoW is just not a good fit for e-sports and was not build for it.
    Don't necessarily agree. Everything with the right amount of players can be made an esport and the title doesn't matter at all. That said - Blizzard clearly lacks ability in that regard.

One way for blizzard to do it is by removing something that seems a lot of players want gone, the leveling system. Remove levels completely and just have everyone start at "max level." Then remove most of the land since the up keep is to much since its pointless now without levels and the needing of quests. Start all new characters in basic gear and keep dungeons/heroics/raids/pvp the only way to obtain better gear. Remove normal raids and dungeons and keep it LFR/LFD only since forming groups yourself with other players and having raids and dungeons thats challenging is to tiresome for a lot of players. Toss on a enormous amount of costmetic gear on the cash shop and keep the monthly sub since players have shown they are willing to have both. Also sell "lucky coins" to increase chance drop for gear. Slowly turn WoW into dota.