Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How would you like classic servers to be?

First off this isn't a thread about me asking for classic servers. Financially and as a player I think they would be a waste for Blizzard to implement. But they are fun to think about.

Onto the topic, if Blizzard were to introduce some version of classic server/s what would you want them to be like?

1. Normal Servers

For me I would have starting off one normal server of each previous expansion. So one Vanilla, BC, etc. I would have them all progress at around the normal rate except all would be on the same time, around 2 years total for all. This would mean some would have a patches stretched out and other expansions would have some of the longer patches cut short. Also all patches with actual bugs, would be glossed over to the next patch immediately.

This ties into my second part of ideal system. After 2 years, you have the option to leave it on this server that will perpetually stay the same patch forever Lets call this server BC.a. Or transfer to the newly started server of the next expansion BC.a to the newly formed Wrath.b (Vanilla>BC, BC>Wrath, etc.)

Then the process starts all over again. Except this time if you want to stay in the same patch you transfer to BC.a so the most servers at any time for any expansion are two. The .a are stuck at the last patch forever, and the other is constantly recycling itself over and over either pushing characters to BC.a or Wrath.b. You can starting in vanilla progress all the way to whatever the current expansion at the time is after many 2 year cycles.

2. Fast Servers

Secondly I would implement 1, or however many they gauge people would want of "fast" servers. This would progress from vanilla all the way to the current patch then reset, with each expansion lasting ~6 months and raid lockouts being greatly reduced, but not removed. Once it hits the current patch you have to transfer to an existing realm, and the process starts again.

3. Race Realm

Finally I would have a.... "race realm". I have no idea if it is remotely possibly to implement or even something they would bother with. But I think it would be fun if there was a realm where you had to progress raid to raid, from vanilla all the way to highest progression of the current tier, doing the max possible hardness on all raids before. This would constantly update solely for you, or perhaps on a guild by guild basis. There would be no raid lockouts and this would be solely for guilds wanting to race or just see old content in a quickish fashion.

The kicker is, once you say hit whatever button tells blizzard to progress you to the next raid, you can never access the old raids again. Same for dungeons which would be the first tier of all expansions. So you have to adequately gear yourself before you move on and if you move on to early progress will be sluggish or impossible. Leveling, professions, etc would all be like normal which would add another factor to the whole race theme. This would be for the elite of the elite and would truly be an intense world first race to behold.

TLDR: 1, eventually 2 normal realms of each expansion. 1+ fast servers. 1 Race server.

This isn't for a debate on how good WOW is now or back then. Just talking about what type of alternate servers you would be interested in, with regards to them being of previous expansions.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2014-04-25 at 12:22 AM.

I would like them to be non-existing.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I would like them to be non-existing.
    As I said, I'm not super into the idea of them existing either, I tried a bit on a private server and it mostly bored me after the initial rush wore off. But the topic is what would you like them to be like if they are implemented.

Deleted
    By asking what you'd like Classic Servers to be like, if the answer is anything other than "how vanilla was" then they're not really classic servers.

I don't see any benefit or reason for classic servers. Most people who belch on about Vanilla Servers just miss when the game was new and exciting, rather than the aspects of the game itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if they ever were added, I would want them to make those servers just like how it was back then, EVERYTHING. When I say everything I mean the graphics, the gameplay, the talent system, only being able to level up to 60, and everything that was added after classic WoW would not be in the game. Stuff like transmog, void bank, item upgrade, reforge, and LFG and all the other goodies that were added over the years, gone. Everything would be just like how it was back in 2004-06. Then I want to see how long those "pro classics" play on those servers before coming back to the normal servers.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

15+ Year Old Account
    There are classic servers...

10+ Year Old Account
    People saying stuff like "i'd like there to be none" and stuff like that, seriously. Why are you so scared of the idea ? You don't have to play on that said vanilla realm. I'm one of those guys who would love a vanilla realm, and I know all of my friends would to. Yeah we have been on vanilla private servers and we love it, still play on em from time to time.

Vanilla servers would be awesome, i'd like it to be just one of the vanilla patches but gated bosses so that they are released after each other.

"Then i want to see how long those "Pro Classics" play on those servers before coming back to the normal servers."
    - Most of us probably wouldn't, i don't currently play MoP because the state WoW is in after the end of WoTLK is horrible (IMO, you're entitled to your own opinion of the game.)' I'd probably play on the vanilla servers until it got boring, and then when I got an urge to play (in my eyes) the good wow again i'd resub to it.
    Last edited by Edison; 2014-04-24 at 11:39 PM.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

I would like to see Blizzard license the right to operate classic servers to others, and let them rise or fall on their own. That way Blizzard makes money on it and has to invest nothing into it. Then I'd laugh as the vast majority of them crash and burn horribly within three months because it's a bunch of rose-colored glasses bullshit people have hoodwinked themselves with, and faced with actually trying to play that way again with a limited playerbase to draw upon they will quickly get bored/frustrated and quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I would like to see Blizzard license the right to operate classic servers to others, and let them rise or fall on their own. That way Blizzard makes money on it and has to invest nothing into it. Then I'd laugh as the vast majority of them crash and burn horribly within three months because it's a bunch of rose-colored glasses bullshit people have hoodwinked themselves with, and faced with actually trying to play that way again with a limited playerbase to draw upon they will quickly get bored/frustrated and quit.
    I'd like to see all the Cata and MoPbabies come and play vanilla for a month to see how much they cry about how the gear aint free and how it takes them ages to lvl. Would be awesome
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    This thread is only going to attract bile from Blizzard fanboys who think Vanilla was the worst thing ever wrought by man and that a legacy server would someone bring about the end of Blizzard as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    This thread is only going to attract bile from Blizzard fanboys who think Vanilla was the worst thing ever wrought by man and that a legacy server would someone bring about the end of Blizzard as we know it.
    Wouldn't a Blizzard fanboy love Vanilla since that was made by Blizzard? There's not much logic in your statement.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Wouldn't a Blizzard fanboy love Vanilla since that was made by Blizzard? There's not much logic in your statement.
    Then it was changed by Blizzard, and as such was obviously the worst thing ever for why else would Blizzard so drastically change it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

This isn't a debate about whether wow is good now or better back then or whatever. Just asking to those people who want to see classic servers in some form, or people who just have a good idea about it bring it forward.

I want it just as is, filled with all the broken balance and bugs left in, so people can see how shit it really was back then when they didn't know how to play.

Classic servers would be nothing without the classic community that made them so great. And only a time machine would fix that.

You try putting the current generation of WoW players on a classic server and watch as your cherished memories slowly die.

They already have private Vanilla servers that are very solid with a decent amount of players on them, but it's just not the same.

Good ideas, OP. Don't let the haters stop you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    People saying stuff like "i'd like there to be none" and stuff like that, seriously. Why are you so scared of the idea ? You don't have to play on that said vanilla realm. I'm one of those guys who would love a vanilla realm, and I know all of my friends would to. Yeah we have been on vanilla private servers and we love it, still play on em from time to time.

Vanilla servers would be awesome, i'd like it to be just one of the vanilla patches but gated bosses so that they are released after each other.

"Then i want to see how long those "Pro Classics" play on those servers before coming back to the normal servers."
    - Most of us probably wouldn't, i don't currently play MoP because the state WoW is in after the end of WoTLK is horrible (IMO, you're entitled to your own opinion of the game.)' I'd probably play on the vanilla servers until it got boring, and then when I got an urge to play (in my eyes) the good wow again i'd resub to it.
    its just nostalgia talking to be honest, u would be bored of raiding or whatever after a month or 2, servers like this will never happen honestly. i remember how i wished i had those xbox games i played back in the days, i got the one i wanted and played it once and then went back to my other things, peoples should just drop it.

If you want classic servers then you can play them, there are loads of private servers that run classic and have booming economies, near 100% uptime and low latency even with high numbers of players. It doesn't really serve Blizzards interests to release a classic server, the old game runs on old technology and much of the functionality of the game we experience today is gone, it's not a product they feel they can release in 2014.. It would cost them money and after the initial boom of interest the servers would die down.... It's never gonna happen.

But that's fine, there are plenty of private servers out there that can give you what you crave. Servers that upgrade with the expansion packs every 6 months though, and then reset.... People will never be happy about playing and then losing their characters, it's not a concept that would ever work.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I am totally for classic servers, people that hate the idea have the freedom to stay away and those that are interested can check them out.

I'd rather see them fixed to a patch like private realms are now, content would be implemented gradually. No need to change anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    I am totally for classic servers, people that hate the idea have the freedom to stay away and those that are interested can check them out.

I'd rather see them fixed to a patch like private realms are now, content would be implemented gradually. No need to change anything else.
    For me this sort of ruins the experience since most expansions if set at a fixed patch, presumably the last one, become too easy since patches after the fact usually toned down all raids.

For instance being able to full clear kara in quest greens/blues basically the second week we tried shouldn't be how it goes.