Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I wouldn't. I played vanilla and it's done. No reason to go backwards.

i would rather play a BC server
    since vanilla had no arena

if it did i would vanilla right away

Slight balance changes and making all spec's viable. Well atleast feral druid, retri paladin, since I think enha/ele shaman and SP worked somewhat OK inn vanilla.

And then it should be the patch just before pre-patch to TBC that gave all the first true welfare gear (honor gear)
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    They would easily profit from it, and if a private person can run a almost perfect Van-server i don't think it would be to hard for blizzard. Bad excuses from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    If people working out of their bedrooms can put together playable Vanilla Servers and keep them running for free I really can't see how Blizzard's development budget would be so greatly dented by a vanilla server,
    Pirate servers aren't paying salaries or taxes to anybody. Blizzard would have to employ bunch of people to have the customer support up at the same level as in other realms, and that is expensive.

A company as big as Blizzard couldn't run any half-arsed operation like the pirate servers are without exposing themselves to all kinds of problems in the united stated of frivolous lawsuits.

10+ Year Old Account
    A classic server should be like, uhm, idk, classic? A classic server on steroid experience or whatever just isn't classic you know.

As another post said, blizzard could make a server over night.
    Not a functioning, relatively bug free one that would satisfy a paying playerbase. You're living in a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post

1. Normal Servers

For me I would have starting off one normal server of each previous expansion. So one Vanilla, BC, etc. I would have them all progress at around the normal rate except all would be on the same time, around 2 years total for all. This would mean some would have a patches stretched out and other expansions would have some of the longer patches cut short. Also all patches with actual bugs, would be glossed over to the next patch immediately.

This ties into my second part of ideal system. After 2 years, you have the option to leave it on this server that will perpetually stay the same patch forever Lets call this server BC.a. Or transfer to the newly started server of the next expansion BC.a to the newly formed Wrath.b (Vanilla>BC, BC>Wrath, etc.)

Then the process starts all over again. Except this time if you want to stay in the same patch you transfer to BC.a so the most servers at any time for any expansion are two. The .a are stuck at the last patch forever, and the other is constantly recycling itself over and over either pushing characters to BC.a or Wrath.b. You can starting in vanilla progress all the way to whatever the current expansion at the time is after many 2 year cycles.
    IF they were to make "Classic" servers, they need to be as true to the content as humanly possible.
    No leveling/exp boosts.
    No balancing changes outside of what was originally included.
    A seperate forum, where a disgruntled Tseric tells you to play a shaman and that you WILL LIKE IT REGARDLESS OF HOW BAD YOU MIGHT THINK IT NEEDS REVISION.
    Patches/expansions are released once every three years.
    and there's 0 handholding.
    and most of the resources on the internet are dated, wrong, or otherwise not helpful, and blizzard actively tries to C&D anyone building a DB better than Thottbot for these classic servers, because "That's all they had back then."

Then, and perhaps only then, will people realise just how "Silly" vanilla was, while they spend 6+ hours in molten core doing nothing but buffing kings one person at a time across a raid of 40 people every 5 mins.

Why do people hate on vanilla so much. it's what brought MMOs from niche to mainstream and launched dozens of mmos. Having a vanilla server won't hurt you in any way. it'll be fun to play a legitimate blizzard vanilla experience again.

The nostalgia will wear off quick and it'll give people who didn't play then a chance to try it out.

Even if they do it for a week or so.

I know one thing i'm going soul link WL, hunter or warrior and chasing down vanilla rogues. Basturds.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    Why do people hate on vanilla so much.
    I don't hate it. I just think the game is even better now. So what's the point of going back to something worse (even if it's just slightly worse)?

Having a vanilla server won't hurt you in any way.
    Yes it will because they will have to dedicate time and manpower to first set up these servers and then keep them up and running. And contnrary to the popular belief in here this won't happen "over night".
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-25 at 10:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It isn't so much about their budget being dented, but more about not making enough profit from it for it to be worth the effort. And that brings us back to the question: do you think they should just do it out of pure kindness? You do realize it's a company with the intent of making money and not someone working in their bedroom for free?
    Blizzard could make a vanilla server a part of the current live subscription. It would give many players who loved the game before casuals destroyed it another reason to log in.

The only problem that Blizzard would face is that a vanilla server might compete with live servers, and that's a risk they aren't prepared to take. They wouldn't let a community-driven 10 year old game overshadow an anti-social MMO about talking pandas, for example.

I don't hate it. I just think the game is even better now. So what's the point of going back to something worse (even if it's just slightly worse)?

You don't have to play it, why withold from those of us who will?

Yes it will because they will have to dedicate time and manpower to first set up these servers and then keep them up and running. And contnrary to the popular belief in here this won't happen "over night".
    You mean like the content they've given us since SoO until september? There's no excuse for the most successful of game companies to not be able to do something so trivial. They could even make it a server without support or something. In that way it's "if you want to play here go ahead but no whining".

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    They could even make it a server without support or something.
    Well they can't if they will charge money for it. Now don't tell me your next argument... you wants a free game?

10+ Year Old Account
    And I think the game is 10 times worse now, so what?

- - - Updated - - -

You're making it sound like Blizzard Entertainment is some indie game creator somewhere in a basement with no money or employees.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

And I think the game is 10 times worse now, so what?
    So what? I'll bet all my money that the devs will be more likely to invest in the future than the past.

You're making it sound like Blizzard Entertainment is some indie game creator somewhere in a basement.
    On the contrary: I'm making it sound like they're a big business with the intent of making big bucks and your small niche audience with little to no profit wouldn't go well with their shareholders.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what? I'll bet all my money that the devs will be more likely to invest in the future than the past.

On the contrary: I'm making it sound like they're a big business with the intent of making big bucks and your small niche audience with little to no profit wouldn't go well with their shareholders.
    And why do you think it would hurt them the slightest to push out vanilla realms and charge a monthly fee for it? don't give me the "It will cost them thousands to set it up" nonsense because it simply wouldn't.

Deleted
    You really hate vanilla WoW don't you? You hate it so much that you'd deprive people of another experience like it. You're very bitter.

Blizzard could make a vanilla server a part of the current live subscription. It would give many players who loved the game before casuals destroyed it another reason to log in.

The only problem that Blizzard would face is that a vanilla server might compete with live servers, and that's a risk they aren't prepared to take. They wouldn't let a community-driven 10 year old game overshadow an anti-social MMO about talking pandas, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    You really hate vanilla WoW don't you? You hate it so much that you'd deprive people of another experience like it. You're very bitter
    Projecting much?

I am sorry if you're under the illusion that big business doesn't have big profits in mind.

The only problem that Blizzard would face is that a vanilla server might compete with live servers, and that's a risk they aren't prepared to take.
    What risk are you talking about? Whenever this subject has been polled your side has always been on the losing side, overwhelmingly. You are a vocal minority, that's the harsh truth.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-25 at 11:36 PM.

Deleted
    Projecting much?

I am sorry if you're under the illusion that big business doesn't have big profits in mind.
    Of course they do, and I gave you a viable way that Blizzard could make money from a vanilla server (make it an optional part of the live subscription).

Blizzard are currently paying for dozens of empty servers.
    Last edited by mmoc614a3ed308; 2014-04-25 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What risk are you talking about? Whenever this subject has been polled your side has always been on the losing side, overwhelmingly.
    Polled on this website yes, most people that hang here is here because of wow and the current state of wow. Most people that gave up WoW because of how terrible it turned out don't come here. (I'm here for the ESO thread and the off topic forums) And not for WoW. But I decided to jump into this discussion after seeing everyone hating and being so scared of vanilla servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    this.

Polled on this website yes, most people that hang here is here because of wow and the current state of wow. Most people that gave up WoW because of how terrible it turned out don't come here. (I'm here for the ESO thread and the off topic forums) And not for WoW. But I decided to jump into this discussion after seeing everyone hating and being so scared of vanilla servers.
    Hell personally I am of the opinion that they should open a vanilla server just to show you how small a minority you are and how many of you would quit after the initial rush wore off within the first week or two. Although on the condition they could do this"over night" as some here have proclaimed. But I know they won't open them because they know this already... although their primary reason is propably because they want to keep looking forward and not backward.

Closing servers in an MMO gives an impression of a dying game to the general public (even if it isn't true). They're paying so that they won't lose even more money.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-25 at 11:44 PM.