View Poll Results: Will you buy WoD if there is no flying throughout the entire expansion?

Voters
451. This poll is closed
  • I am currently playing and will play WoD if no flying

268 59.42%
  • I am not currently playing and will come back to play WoD if no flying

118 26.16%
  • I am currently playing and will not play WoD if no flying

31 6.87%
  • I am not currently playing and will not play WoD if no flying

34 7.54%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    funny thing how some people already bought the game and can't have a refund because they "bought" the 90-boost. So whether they like it or not, they said to Blizz: I don't mind you doing anything to the game, I support you in every decision you make from now to the launch in 6 months.

I personally don't care for the no flying in the whole expansion, but they have to make level 100 transportation much more reliable. Flight-points, raid access, daily hubs. Everything needs a portal to it, or people will just not go there. I already didn't do the farm because you had to FLY there, and it wasn't even that far.

Have they thought of a 1 minute flight with a 5 min cooldown at level 100? So that after 1 minute you dismount from flight and fall with a parachute. So it gets you to some places quicker, especially places you would have to make a huge detour just to get to the other side of a cliff or something. Just a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempeste View Post
    Well either way, it must be something they're angry about to vote no, so it still shows it's an "issue" for them, I guess.

So I would hope if you are truly voting no, that it is a solid deal breaker for you and you actually will not come back because of this decision. That is what the definition of "deal breaker" means.
    It has nothing to do with "being so angry that they vote no". It has everything to do with people being control freaks, and wanting control over direction of the game for no other reason than to have control over the direction of the game.

Taking a break from the game for the end of the semester. I'll be coming back for the xpac regardless, but likely won't level more than one or two toons this time around if flying is out.

Flying is not a clever game mechanic, it is a convenient mode of transportation, but has been abused for years to allow players weasel their way out of doing anything but the bare minimum. Bash is right, if having to kill a mob that is not a quest objective upsets the player, it's a problem. Flying cannot be made into a interesting game mechanic, take a lesson from vashj'or. It feels weird and it is irritating to checking every angle for enemies. I would be sympathetic forwards those who genuinely like flying, but the wow forum cry babies are just making me spite them.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

I am currently undecided, in itself the lack of flying is not a reason why I would decide not to purchase WOD but it is another a negative point to an expansion that already sounds quite lacklustre.

Did buy, will play. Although I dislike their ideas and forcing them onto me whilst pretending to know how I enjoy my time spent in-game, I have my raiding team and other things to keep me happy.

If I did NOT raid however, it would be possible I'd unsub and ask for a refund until they made things clear on the flying topic.

Flying doesn't ruin atmosphere, it doesn't prevent exploration. Those are cheap arguments that people believe simply because they WANT to think the game will be different without flying. We've been grounded tons of times before, it doesn't make for a whole new experience.

Also, it takes more work to add new mechanics and fun stuff than removing the feature. What sucks is how the anti-flyers just eat it up and hope for a Vanilla 2.0 whilst bashing pro-flyers with ad hominem arguments (saying we're kids, entitled, just wanna rush, are addicted etc etc) and telling us to suck it up and go to the old world if we wanna enjoy our flyers.

The fact that they're making me FEEL that I'd like to stop playing and move on stops me from enjoying the game like I used to. How long before they start backtracking on other things rather than evolving those features and making them better?
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-04-27 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently unsubbed and will resub for WoD... flying or not. I really don't care that much. >_>;

Quote Originally Posted by Xada View Post
    Flying is not a clever game mechanic, it is a convenient mode of transportation, but has been abused for years to allow players weasel their way out of doing anything but the bare minimum. Bash is right, if having to kill a mob that is not a quest objective upsets the player, it's a problem. Flying cannot be made into a interesting game mechanic, take a lesson from vashj'or. It feels weird and it is irritating to checking every angle for enemies. I would be sympathetic forwards those who genuinely like flying, but the wow forum cry babies are just making me spite them.
    That is the biggest take-away from Bashiok's post. There's some fundamental problem when a player is so upset by trash mobs or being attacked by a passing mob.

Blizzard sees this attitude is a problem. And now they're willing to risk subscriptions to fix it for the sake of the game.

I'm also of the view that these efficiency crazed pro-fliers are also some of WoW's most addicted, escapist players. They play the game as a reward machine not as an enjoyable social RPG experience.

Like any addict, it will be hard to satisfy them quickly. It can't be done with some forum post. It will takes months for these players to acclimate to slower, harder to earn psychological rewards.

Not all pro-fliers are this way of course, but many are. Some really do just like flying around and doing loop-de-loops. The old world will still be perfect for them however.

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    I'm currently unsubbed and will resub for WoD... flying or not. I really don't care that much. >_>;
    Pretty much my case. Don't really care about the flying or no flying thing. Game's intrigued me enough to at least check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    I have 2 friends who specifically quit because they thought flying ruined the game. They were vanilla players and they hated flying on PvP servers and they hated the way flying ruined quests and exploration.

WoW should be a big, open Warcraft world full interesting and rewarding gameplay. It shouldn't be just a series of instanced mini-games.
    Seeing as you could not fly until you reached level 70 by which time the need for questing was over how exactly did flying ruin questing? Also TBC had many areas that could only be reached through flying so how was exploration ruined?

This is going to sound stupid, but why on earth do I keep seeing these polls come up? MAJORITY always say they like the idea of no flight or at the very least that they will play without it being there.

No flight is going to happen just as it did in BC and WotLK, simply drop it, and move on.

At this point I'd actually be happy to see it removed from the game entirely so people can stop whining about it at all, they can all just quit and annoy people in an entirely different MMO instead.

Gonna buy it (come back) and prolly play it as long as no flying present.

Post a thread like this on Blizzard's forum to get more accurate results. This forum is biased as fuck, it's filled with a bunch of junkies hooked up on classic-tbc nostalgia and they will always support no flying, regardless of how shitty WoD might actually turn out with this no flying idea. I'm neutral, I will still play, but I'm curious about people's opinion on flying/no flying.

Voted (honestly) just to see the current state of play.

Left WoW, don't intend to come back. Happy to see there's a decent majority of folks don't get bent out of shape when Blizzard decide to take a certain direction over something controversial for an expansion. No flying for the whole expansion is almost something I could get into. It would certainly feel like a more "alive" world again and make getting around interesting. Still won't be coming back but happy to see them trying a return to various elements of WoW's "glory days".

For those who care to take a look, Elder Scrolls Online has no flying mounts either currently even ground mounts seems a bit... academic.

Personally I'd actually be especially happy as it would give me a reason to use the rated battleground pony. Not sure about the horde one but on the alliance side that horse looks f__king badass. Like it would rather kick your skull in as look at you. Easily one of the best looking ground mounts.

I had a useful bug occur in that I transferred a character (who didn't have the RBG wins achievement) to a new server... when the "all mounts available on all characters" update occured at the start of pandaria (or was it cata?), that character got the RBG wins pony, my RBG character also kept it when I moved that over too. 2 mounts for the price of one (and I definitely didn't have the extended wins option to get a second mount yet).
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-04-27 at 09:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelda Fan Guy View Post
    This is going to sound stupid, but why on earth do I keep seeing these polls come up? MAJORITY always say they like the idea of no flight or at the very least that they will play without it being there.

No flight is going to happen just as it did in BC and WotLK, simply drop it, and move on.

At this point I'd actually be happy to see it removed from the game entirely so people can stop whining about it at all, they can all just quit and annoy people in an entirely different MMO instead.
    The majority? Talk about seeing what you want to see. From what I see it's an EXTREMELY divided community, with majority being for or against depending on the thread and forum.

No flight did not happen in BC and WOTLK, we got it at max level. And yes, it'd be an extremely clever business move for them to just remove flying completely and rendering the many hours of work put into flying mounts both from them AND the playerbase wasted. Not to mention real money. Fun fact, people quitting in droves because of stupid decisions is NOT what creators of an mmo should be aiming for.

Deleted
    Pre-ordered it the day it became available. How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaehatiel View Post
    Post a thread like this on Blizzard's forum to get more accurate results. This forum is biased as fuck, it's filled with a bunch of junkies hooked up on classic-tbc nostalgia and they will always support no flying, regardless of how shitty WoD might actually turn out with this no flying idea. I'm neutral, I will still play, but I'm curious about people's opinion on flying/no flying.
    Can you tell me, in what simple way has flying improved this game other than making people even lazier and impatient much like Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The majority? Talk about seeing what you want to see. From what I see it's an EXTREMELY divided community, with majority being for or against depending on the thread and forum.

No flight did not happen in BC and WOTLK, we got it at max level. And yes, it'd be an extremely clever business move for them to just remove flying completely and rendering the many hours of work put into flying mounts both from them AND the playerbase wasted. Not to mention real money. Fun fact, people quitting in droves because of stupid decisions is NOT what creators of an mmo should be aiming for.
    Blizzard has already stated that they will be converting all flying mounts to work on ground just like the store mounts work for both now, so people can continue to use their mounts even if they are at present simply just flying mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    already bought it. Gonna wait to play it to see if its shit or not. getting my jimmies in a rustle over something like this is too much work and im too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelda Fan Guy View Post
    Can you tell me, in what simple way has flying improved this game other than making people even lazier and impatient much like Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder?
    You THINK those things make people lazier when it's completely individual and guess what...lazy players will always be lazy and always were. I remember clear as day how people spammed for groups in /trade but then they asked to be summoned and they'd leave the group if we told them to get there by themselves.

To me, flying is freedom and a chance to get MORE exploration. I enjoy it immensely since WoW has basically been the only game where I could take off on a dragon. If I'm feeling lazy, I will take a flight path to where I want to go. And that's what they're aiming for in WoD. They're not removing the efficiency of travel, they want to alter how people can approach content. Rather than making content more interesting and challenging, they remove a feature.

For me, no flying is a big plus for many reasons. I will be extra excited for WoD if the no flying holds. If it won't I'll be dissapointed, but still play of course.