Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    pets merged, range issues and the elephant in the room: bad dps = aoeing when not using that strat etc

Use the new one yer man over in Interface/Macros is making. Details!

Quote Originally Posted by Eekumpokeum View Post
    Hey all, so I have been having this issue between Recount and Skada. I use Recount. Love it. Last night on Garrosh I was pushing 320k, so my meters told me. Other people in raid were saying I was doing bad dps, which I thought jokingly as I was consistently number 1 and 2. I whispered one of my buddies to tell me what he had me as, and he said 286k dps. He uses Skada. Thats a pretty big difference and I wanted to know, why was his Skada showing me with way less DPS? Is one or the other super inaccurate? Let me know. Thanks

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
    Recount shows the dps you did whilst active, meaning if you stop attacking for a minute your dps won't go down. Skada takes your total damage and divides it by the fight length, so this shows your actual damage per second over the fight. I use recount personally and always have it on the damage done option so that I can see how much damage I've done in comparison to other people, as opposed to damage per second. Due to all this if you die on recount your dps stays what it was at death, whereas skada your dps continues to go down until the fight is finished.
    Close but not 100% accurate, recount does not stop calculating damage on death, it stops calculating damage when you stop doing damage. If you have dot's on the boss then recount will continue to calculate even after your death, until your dots fall off thus slowly dropping your dps after your dead until your dots finish.

As has been stated several times, DPS is calculated differently between the two addons. I personally go by overall damage done rather than DPS.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Deleted
    If you are a serious raider you will want to use Skada.

Skada measures effective DPS (damage done divided by fight length), which is the standard of all external analysis tools such as WoL and Warcraftlogs. This makes it so you can compare yourself to other people of your class, and the dps data you are getting from Skada carries over more meaning outside of your own raid. If I'm talking about a fight and mention that this or that class does 300k dps, other raiders will instantly assume the DPS number I am talking about is the standard type of dps used on every analytics tool out there, ie, 'Skada dps'.

Recount measures DPS while active, which will give you skewed numbers when you are trying to compare your performance with others and/or your own previous logs.

They are both accurate as far as reading the combat log goes, they just measure different things. And what skada measures is by far the most useful if you are interested in analyzing your raid performance (which is what a dps meter is for in the first place)

Skada also uses less resources, which is a huge plus.
    Last edited by mmoc9e8e7fdb19; 2014-04-29 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post

Skada measures effective DPS (damage done divided by fight length), which is the standard of all external analysis tools such as WoL and Warcraftlogs. This makes it so you can compare yourself to other people of your class, and the dps data you are getting from Skada carries over more meaning outside of your own raid. If I'm talking about a fight and mention that this or that class does 300k dps, other raiders will instantly assume the DPS number I am talking about is the standard type of dps used on every analytics tool out there, ie, 'Skada dps'.

Recount measures DPS while active, which will give you skewed numbers when you are trying to compare your performance with others and/or your own previous logs.

They are both accurate as far as reading the combat log goes, they just measure different things. And what skada measures is by far the most useful if you are interested in analyzing your raid performance (which is what a dps meter is for in the first place)

Using less rescources is not really a plus because using more is not necessarily causing any issue or disadvantage, no loss of fps caused, no lag issues, no ui bugs or freezing, there is no disadvantage to it, not in my case. Recount still uses only a small ammount of memoy. Skada using less is the kind of "advantage" that is neither here nor there, it doesn't matter at all, it makes absolutely no difference for the majority of people.

As for "if you're a serious raider you will want to use Skada"

That doesn't make any sense either, if you're a serious raider you will be checking your logs on some parsing website like World of Logs, where it will show both dps values, as you would see in Recount and as you would see in Skada. Though ultimately dps parses are not even that important, they are primarily a "look at the size of my e-wang", and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, I've taken part in that plenty myself.

But lets not try to throw around that "if you're serious, you will use my preferred addon" as if there is some advantage to be had. They both do the exact same thing, they read the combat log and post the exact same results... The only difference being the philosophy on showing the DPS figure from that data, both of which have equal merit depending on the situation, and both of which are completely irrelevant compared to the value that matters "damage done".
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-04-29 at 04:34 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    On Skada there are options you can choose to make it behave however you want.

Like "aggressive combat detection" and "only keep boss fights." You can also quickly change from total damage, damage per fight, healing, and so much more just by right clicking the meter. Really, Skada is like someone took Recount and gave it a bunch of useful tweaks and different modes. You just can't be afraid of opening the options and looking around a bit.

I was even able to make my Skada meter appear like it was made by Blizzard and came with the game by using the customization options.

Recount's pie charts are all it has going for it.
    Last edited by Chain Chungus; 2014-04-29 at 05:46 AM.

If you really were serious you would just use live logging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    This person speaks the truth! There is Details! which I just dropped skada for it shows a hell of alot more well detail

EDIT warcraftlogs>world of logs just saying.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Deleted
    Used both. In the past before there was Skada i mostly used Recount. Using Skada from ~half MOP and prefer it. Having many windows for healing, DPS etc at the same time is also a +.

For in-depth analysis i upload logs to WOL.

Psh, use Details, wrecks both Skada and Recount in terms of accuracy and functionality.

MMO-C thread for those interested.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Every serious raiding guild already live logs. You use an in game damage meter to analyze your performance in-game on the fly in a convenient way. Logs are for post raid analysis, Skada is for mid raid analysis.

Every serious raiding guild already live logs. You use an in game damage meter to analyze your performance in-game on the fly in a convenient way. Logs are for post raid analysis, Skada is for mid raid analysis.
    As is recount, that's the point. There is no advantage to using skada over recount other than personal preference.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4