malkorok hc tanking

Hi,

a quick question.

we started malkorok hc 2 night. but i keep dying in the blood rage phase.
    i ussaly have 15 stacks ( during the whole phase) i pop, barkskin, incarnation, hotw, rooks trinket, might of ursoc, survival instincts. and ussaly get atleast a ironbark, pain supression, power of word shield and more on me and still get on shot or 90% loss.
    i think its because i shouldnt be 2 tank soaking the big hit with 15 to 17 stacks.

What's your other tank and why aren't they solo-soaking it?

You're right, tanks with stacks should not be soaking the cleave during blood rage. Whichever tank will be solo soaking should have zero stacks going in, and you should figure out a taunt rotation to ensure this. At this point, pretty much any tank is capable of solo soaking, especially if you have pain suppression, iron bark and most importantly, rook's trinket. If you're really having trouble with tank deaths during this phase, consider one of your DPS popping a substantial damage reduction (90%) and jumping in front of the cleave for a couple seconds to help even out the damage, although this is really not necessary with a proper CD rotation.

to arielle:
    - warrior
    - raidleader wants it this way. i always start second with stacks so i always have 15 to 17 stacks. i think i can take it solo without stacks using only half me cooldowns.

to nebs:
    - ty for the advice. mabye as the paladin for some help then

logs:
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/V6zF4Ra8xwXMBAfq
    Last edited by baskev; 2014-05-04 at 09:54 PM.

I can only speak from a 25 Men experience, Druids can't solo that on 25 men, and our raid just does it with everyone soaking it, like normal, not a solo or duo tank. With some people running around the place popping the balls.

Oh, yeah. Anyone that is soaking it shouldn't have any stacks going in. If you do, then you need to fix your swaps.

I can only speak from a 25 Men experience, Druids can't solo that on 25 men, and our raid just does it with everyone soaking it, like normal, not a solo or duo tank. With some people running around the place popping the balls.
    You can, we're just the worst ones at doing it.

have the tank with no stacks solo tanking it, it's very easy to survive, blow a major, have a sac put on your or some of other cooldown, also it's crucial you use Rook's Unlucky Talisman as Malk's blood rage strikes count as aoe and that's an additional reduced 37%+ percentage.

Yeah, I'll just echo everyone else and say that stacks+Blood Rage is a bad idea. Far better to just have 1 tank solo it without stacks.

Which of you ends up doing it won't really matter, just as long as you don't have stacks for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    You can, we're just the worst ones at doing it.
    Eh, as long as we have rooks we're no worse than anyone else, for 10 at least. MoU+Rook's+BS to start, SI when it'll cover the rest of it. Inc+Vigil and spam FR. For 25s I'd honestly assume everyone either spams externals on the tank or rolls pally or monk for it.

Our issue is that we need rooks or externals to not get 1-shot or extremely close to it at some point, but as long as we have one of those we require no real healing and have a very simple rotation to use. DKs/wars are less likely to be 1-shot but might actually need a healer. Pallies/monks are their own thing.

There's also the whole issue of player skill... where because some jerk DPS decided to say "let's test the new tank", I kite the last 5s of blood rage after he dies instead of just laughing at it every week . Not really sure who that would favor in the OP's guild, but the "better" tank should probably end up doing blood rage, whoever that may be.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2014-05-04 at 11:41 PM.

The soaking tank should pull Malk. First taunt around 18ish I think it is. You take it back while boss is casting Breath of Y'shaarj. Repeat and you'll have no stacks for the Blood Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatch View Post
    The soaking tank should pull Malk. First taunt around 18ish I think it is. You take it back while boss is casting Breath of Y'shaarj. Repeat and you'll have no stacks for the Blood Rage.
    For what it's worth, we have the non-blood rage tank pull. I taunt from him at 6 stacks, which is when Malko is winding up his first smash. Swap at 12 thereafter and I'm clean going into BR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    to arielle:
    - warrior
    - raidleader wants it this way. i always start second with stacks so i always have 15 to 17 stacks. i think i can take it solo without stacks using only half me cooldowns.

to nebs:
    - ty for the advice. mabye as the paladin for some help then

logs:
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/V6zF4Ra8xwXMBAfq
    Then your RL should read up on mechanics. If you go in with 15 Stacks and are 2 soaking it, you will get more damage then if you let someone just solo soak with 0 stacks.
    Any tank can do it. Just plan your CDs and use your rage (you can't dodge bloodrage and he doesn't melee so SD is not worth it).

Use Incarnation + NV + Rook's trinket.
    Soaker pulls, tank until about 15 stacks (around when 2nd smash is cast) > 2nd tank takes over. Taunt back when your stack drops off (when Breath is cast). Repeat.
    When Malko casts 2nd Breath, pop bone armor if you have Symbiosis from a DK, pop Incarnation + NV (so the cd will be ready for 2nd one if the fight lasts that long for you), and taunt on breath cast. At this point you should have 0 stacks -> when Malko casts Blood rage: pop Ursoc + SI & Mangle spam + heal yourself with FR -> pop Rook's + Barkskin just before SI drops off and continue Mangle + FR spam.
    Blood Rage lasts 20 secs, which is equal to the Ursoc duration, and as Tungzten mentioned above, he doesn't melee you so you only use rage for FR healing.

Do you have the dps to 3 heal? Its much easier if you can beat the enrage

But as many people have already said you cant really solo (or 2 tank) with 15 stacks, you you still have issues get your disc priest to chain cast with spirit shell through the tank

10+ Year Old Account
    You should never, EVER 2 tank-soak it if one tank has more then 10 stacks of the debuff. With 2 ppl, the damage is split 50% on both tanks. If one of the tanks has 10 stacks of the debuff, the cleave is doing 150% of the damage! (50% of damage to one tank, 100% of damage to other tank), thus causing MORE stress on the healers. Thus, you either solo-soak it with a tank with 0 stacks (Thus taking 100% of the damage), or you send almost the entire group in, except for a few orb-soakers. (thus splitting it significantly) Given the power of Rook's, it is best to just get a tank to have that trinket and solo-soak it with 0 stacks, and then swap tanks for next one so that other can solo soak it with 0 stacks and CDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    I know I play a DK but this might work for you also.

What me and my previous co-tank (a Warrior) usually did was as follows. We also used this when I tanked along side a Druid.

We'd tank swap every 15 stacks as normal until the first breath went off, After that I'd take the first 15 stacks then my co-tank took the rest of the stacks (he usually ended up with around 18-21) and I would be able to solo soak the blood rage being completely clean of Fatal Strike.

I would taunt just as the breath is being cast and be ready to turn malkorok away from my raid.

Usually my own cooldowns/trinkets would be sufficient for the first 10-12 seconds then the rest of the raid cycles things like ironbark, sac, cocoon, vigilance etc on me to cover the last 8-10 seconds.
    Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2014-05-11 at 02:50 PM.

You can also have everyone stack and use Stampeding Roar to remove the debuffs, if you find that easier then trying to solo soak.

However, if you can work out a way to enter the blood rage phase w/ 0 stacks. I think you'll be golden

Yip as everyone has been saying Solo tank it in that phase with a pally with no stacks