Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ashes of Al'ar - TK questions

So I've ran TK 3 times a week for roughly a year now (3 different toons) and I still have yet to see Ashes of Al'ar drop. I skip all bosses and head straight to Kaltheas. I don't need to kill any others to get the mount to drop, correct? Am I missing something? Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    You only have to kill him for the mount. It's not a very common mount. I ran it for years on many toons and finally saw it late last year.
    Jakesterwars - Jakesterwars#1531
    Tyranny

Really? Of course not. Killing him over and over does not increase the drop rate.

I used to farm Ashes myself.
    Last year, my husband went into Tempest Keep for pet collecting. Decided to try Kael'Thas on one of his attempts, and asked me for advice.

A few minutes later, I hear... "What's this Ashes thing?"

I don't go back anymore.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    I used to farm Ashes myself.
    Last year, my husband went into Tempest Keep for pet collecting. Decided to try Kael'Thas on one of his attempts, and asked me for advice.

A few minutes later, I hear... "What's this Ashes thing?"

I don't go back anymore.
    Hah! A while ago, I taught my son (6) how to solo Onyxia for me. He didn't need to know much other than "hit 1, when whelps come, hit 2, resume hitting 1" - plus I make a mean PB&J sandwich thus a deal was struck. Lunch for a kill.

I go make him lunch while he nukes for me - he comes up to me a few minutes later and says Onyxia dropped her head. I didn't know what that meant until I head over and noticed he looted and sure enough, his kill netted me Ony's mount.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ashes - 34 kills in total to see the mount drop
    Onyxia 117 kills in total to see the mount drop
    ZG panther around 30-40 kills in total to see the mount drop
    Blue proto 94
    Anzu - 70

And yeah, Kael'thas is the MAIN TARGET YO
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Just keep at it, you're bound to get it eventually. Killing KT is all that is required as others have said.

I was pretty lucky with my ashes, I farmed it I believe 3 times a week for only 3 weeks, on the fourth week my first kill got the mount.

I was not so fortunate with Invincible's reins. I had to solo heroic 25man LK 3 times per week about 3 months before that one dropped. And I suppose that isn't an awful lot of time in the grand scheme of things, but soloing 25man heroic LK 3 times per week fucking sucks.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    The mount drops only from Kael'Thas so killing the other bosses doesn't really matter.

I must be quite lucky as i got mine at the 23rd kill.

Quote Originally Posted by LetMomSleep View Post
    Hah! A while ago, I taught my son (6) how to solo Onyxia for me. He didn't need to know much other than "hit 1, when whelps come, hit 2, resume hitting 1" - plus I make a mean PB&J sandwich thus a deal was struck. Lunch for a kill.
    I go make him lunch while he nukes for me - he comes up to me a few minutes later and says Onyxia dropped her head. I didn't know what that meant until I head over and noticed he looted and sure enough, his kill netted me Ony's mount.
    I really need kids.

I recently decided to get back into farming for mounts. In the last two weeks I got:
    Pureblood Firehawk (Was working on legendary questline with a friend and we both flipped out in vent when we saw it)
    Rivendare's Deathcharger (First run in two years and got it)
    Azure Drake (Second Malygos kill when trying to farm it)

Aside from that got Grand Black War Mammoth, Swift Razzashi Raptor, and Firey Warhorse when they were current along with various dungeon mounts.

Basically, RNG is RNG. I farmed the Swift Zulian Tiger for 3 years and never once even saw it drop.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    So I've ran TK 3 times a week for roughly a year now (3 different toons) and I still have yet to see Ashes of Al'ar drop. I skip all bosses and head straight to Kaltheas. I don't need to kill any others to get the mount to drop, correct? Am I missing something? Thanks
    Like others said, you don't need to kill any other bosses. Just keep killing Kael'thas. I think my Ashes of Al'ar didn't drop until somewhere around 160 kills (single toon farming). Good luck! d-(^_^)z
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

Wait... you can skip Al'ar? Damn, I've been wasting my time each week. Now I need to get my alts able to kill him so I can farm him on more than just the Warlock (the four aides take out most of my toons still)

15+ Year Old Account
    as everyone said (and again, I've got my Ashes after killing only Kael) you need to kill one the last boss
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

15+ Year Old Account
    Guildmate bought it from the black market AH for 230k. Dropped for me the next week and for him the week after buying it. That was 2 weeks ago.

Just need to kill Kael'thas. Though I would still say kill the other bosses for the pets if they sell on your server.

10+ Year Old Account
    I skipped all bosses, and it dropped on my 28th solo. I had kills with groups before that, but never seen it. I got super lucky about a month ago when I got the flame talon mount (Fire looking Ravenlord.) on my very first ever solo kill. Been soloing LK25H 8 weeks now and no luck. RNG sure is RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got mine eventually last week, just need to kill Kael, can skip the rest. Took me about 2 years, gave up a year ago then finally decided to go back for "one last try", looted without looking (couldn't bare, had already cursed my luck) then low and behold it was there, heart skipped a beat literally.

Almost an hour after getting the beast, I decided that I hate the constant flapping noise that accompanies Ashes lol, still the only mount I'll be using for a while though, just gonna turn the sound off.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

My friend got it dropped on his first try. I was so jealous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMomSleep View Post

Uhh, what? Onyxia has ALWAYS dropped her head, its a quest item that lead to getting a ring or a neck, at 60 and at 80. How wouldn't you know what he meant, you clearly had killed Onyxia before...

Was doing him duo with GF each cd in Cataclysm
    When Pandaria was launched in patch 5.1.0 I was "just trying solo" him on my new 90lvl DK. Several wipes, kill, loot, *HOLYCOW*, *achivement_ding*
    That was my 5th solo kill in general and the 1st one on DK